Quote box anomaly

Palinurus

The Living Force
While I was preparing a post with a newspaper article cited within a quote-box I discovered something strange. Usually I have to make small changes in the pasted article -- adding an extra link, realign the paragraphs, correcting some spelling mistakes, and the like -- which never posed any problem thus far. BTW I'm using Firefox (81.0.1).

However, in the recently revamped entry box any change within the quote box results in a splitting or breaking-up of the quote box into separate parts whenever I have to use the return key while doing the corrections.

Admittedly, these awkward splits can be undone by using the backspace key in a certain way to reunite the separate parts again, but this is rather tiresome and a double effort.

I guess a simple change in the entry box's make-up (programming rules) would put this issue away. So I'm politely requesting such change(s) to be made. :-[

Thanks for reading.

To the right there is 'more options' (vertical ...) where you can enable the '[ ]' (toggle BB code), so you don't get the WYSIWYG but instead see the QUOTE tags etc. Maybe that makes it easier to edit the quoted content in your case.

Thank you for your swift answer.

I can certainly try that next time, although I suspect this has nothing to do with the reported issue since I used the quotation button available in the same line to open a quote box in the first place -- as I always do.

After using different methods interchangeably, I've come to the conclusion that -for me- the easiest and quickest way to accomplish my editing and such is: working in plain text until I'm done and then rounding off with highlighting all of it and pressing the quote button.

I don’t know this is right place for my question, but anyway I am wondering about the symbols on the top section the “post reply” box.
There are 21 symbols altogether, and I only know about 3.
Can anyone have time to explain the functions of the symbols? Or how to use.

The function of the symbols is revealed when you place your cursor on it without clicking. This is called hovering.

It's a pity you didn't specify which three you know about but I take it to be the three most commonly used.

Would any other symbol cause you any problems in understanding its function while reading what it does via the method I just explained, feel free to ask specific questions where needed.

Hope this helps you out. :-)

It doesn't hurt to experiment a little in a reply box you're not going to use for real, though. :-P

I think, ‘B’ uses as Bold letters, and next one is for cursive writing, and ‘[ ]‘ for changes format like one we used before. And the last one I always uses now, because if not, then my multiple Quote was somewhat off.
And rest of the other symbols I never tried, I was afraid, it might mess up my post.

And rest of the other symbols I never tried, I was afraid, it might mess up my post.
It's very unlikely that this would happen. Whenever you make a mistake with one of the symbol functions, you can easily undo that by clicking the symbol again or by using the Undo symbol (the bent arrow pointing left). If need be, you can delete the faulty part of your entry completely in the 'normal' way: highlight it, then right click and choose delete. Then start over to make it right.

I get the impression you may have a bit of computer fear or at least uneasiness due to lack of knowledge and/or practice. That's why I suggested to experiment within a reply box you're not going to use for real - just to observe what happens with whatever you're trying to accomplish. You could use this mini thread for that purpose since the main topic is already dealt with. Just a thought.

Anyway, would there be more questions you can always post them here...

The function of the symbols is revealed when you place your cursor on it without clicking. This is called hovering.

Yeah. Just hover over the symbol with your mouse and the description of the symbol appears. If you still have questions, fire away! By the way, you can try out the different symbols without any concern by using the Preview button on the top right corner so that you can see how it will look like if you would post the post. You can try the different symbols out with this method without any danger. Just put in any text and play with the different symbols and what they do to the text with the Preview button.

Back
Top Bottom