Rabbit-Proof Fence

Lisa Guliani

The Living Force
Movie: Rabbit-Proof Fence

Just watched this last night and it was excellent, one of those little gems you find tucked away at Blockbuster.

It's about how many Aborigines people had their lives destroyed up through 1970 by whites going in and ripping their children away from them and putting them in "white" development type camps, like the one on the Moore River. They would only take the ones who were considered "half-castes", the ones with Aborigines mothers and white fathers.
The Aborigines (white) "protector" was in power for 25 years, and during that time, countless Aboriginal families had their lives torn apart by this, as the children were literally stolen and kidnapped, not allowed to speak their own language and forced to adopt "white" customs, language, etc. If they tried to escape the camp, they would be tracked and recovered, beaten, and placed in isolation as punishment.
The white people doing all this were trying to breed out the Aborigines for their "protection".
It's sickening and heart breaking, the things they did to these people.
The woman whose own story this movie depicts was one of the children who escaped and WALKED 1200 miles to get back home to her family, and she made it with her little sister in tow. Incredible, just to think about, as they were little girls at the time and people were after them trying to recapture them and bring them back to the Moore River camp. She ends up losing her own child to one of these camps when she got older and never saw her again. This must have happened over and over to the Aborigines people, their children ripped from them, never to be seen or heard from again. It hurts to even think about that.

It's a true story and a real gut twister, depicting man's inhumanity to man (and to child).
I recommend this movie if you haven't yet seen it.

Lisa

Tis a good movie... and it really is gut wrenching...though I bet it's watered down a lot from what happened in real life, of course... It feels extra close to me because it's set near where I live and i've worked with one of the actors in it....and some people i know are "stolen generation" people...

The Australian prime minister still refuses to say an official "sorry" to the aboriginal people for the "white australia" policy and the stolen generation (of course). And there are so many people around here who seem broken, in a way, maybe because of it. Aborigines have such strong family oriented feel in their culture (or so it seems to me - i am mostly white though... tiny part aboriginal blood, but I don't know any details about which tribe etc my ancestors came from)....

brandon

I agree with you Lisa, and bw... this movie is excellent!

I watched this movie a long time a go but I remember that either in the extras or at the end of the movie they show a small video of the 'real' sisters that the movie is base on. They are little old ladies and they talk about their memories. It's really something.. I remember this movie really brought out my water-works. Thanks for bringing it up Lisa. :)
Nina

Does any one know what kind of raptor the bird in the movie is-the one circling over the girls? i tried listening to the director's commentary on the DVD i rented but no mention was made of this. otherwise this was a great film-the landscape shots were just so otherworldly. another great movie but also harrowing is Herzog's Where the Green Ants Dream-about a mining company infringing on sacred aboriginal land. Highly recommended.

Both incredibly wonderful films. For even more fun, you gotta see Peter Weir's 1977 "The Last Wave"!! Over the top and hallucinatory.
David Gulpillil, who acts in many Australian films, also has a biographical film called "Gulpillil" (sp?) which plays on LinkTV and/or FreeSpeechTV, giving insightful look into the worlds of the Aboriginal actor and his people. Worth checkin out.

Back
Top Bottom