Re: Josephus, Pilate and Paul - questions, comments

caballero reyes

The Living Force
Laura,I was never really interested in the Bible historically so far I've been reading your research, because their parts, especially the Gospels have always seemed a theatrical performance; but there is something about 7 church ages and have failed to understand and therefore do not know if it religious or historically valid and you can clarify something.

7 church ages and their messengers:

Churches:

EPHESUS (53 to -170) -------------- Pablo
SMYRNA (170 to -312) ----------- Irenaeus
PERGAMUM (312 to -606) ------- Martin
THYATIRA (606--1520) ----------- colombo
SARDIS (1520--1750) --------- Luther
PHILADELPHIA (1750--1906) ---- Wesley
LAODICEA: - corresponds to a messenger of America (from USA).

Not if this is historically useful, or if there are any interesting process on dates, but put Paul as part of a process, historically speaking, gives the impression of Paul as a renewal of a structure that no longer believed he could work more and therefore a renewal religiously linked to a political system because for me Paul was more political than anything else and had to do with the progress of Europe, has always taken its cultural foundations and religious either in Africa was required or in the Middle East.

Thanks.

Re: Re: Josephus, Pilate and Paul

Hi, Caballero:

There’s in-depth treatment of that chronology at this website:

http://www.cogwriter.com/smyrnachurch.htm

I found it because I was looking into the history of the Churches of Asia, that were ‘way more dominant than the Church in Rome in first several centuries AD. That history has been pretty well obliterated, as far as I can tell, but the Church of God claims to be a direct descendant. They don’t believe in the Trinity.

Their branch of Christianity has been severely persecuted as heretics for 2 millennia, by the Roman, Eastern Orthodox, and mainline Protestant forms of Christianity. But they must have gotten spread far and wide before the “orthodox” took over. Their ideas have cropped up in so many heretical and anti-authoritarian movements that I find what little real historical info remains about them provides a very interesting dimension to history as it is usually told.

But the interesting thing about the list is that Paul is the first on the list and I see that for the progress of Europe has had not a significant meaning because most serious historidores have established that Europe and America have been and remain places pagan but disguise with Catholicism.

Actually the word Catholicism is a Sanskrit word and simply means."universal"

«Reply #5 of Ka on: Yesterday at 10:54:48 PM »

«I find what little real historical info remains about them provides a very interesting dimension to history as it is usually told».

----------------------------------- ------------------------------- ------------------------------

Thank you Ka, but, That's interesting that you wrote is what I could not find or understand about this topic.

caballero reyes said:
Laura,I was never really interested in the Bible historically so far I've been reading your research, because their parts, especially the Gospels have always seemed a theatrical performance; but there is something about 7 church ages and have failed to understand and therefore do not know if it religious or historically valid and you can clarify something.

7 church ages and their messengers:

Churches:

EPHESUS (53 to -170) -------------- Pablo
SMYRNA (170 to -312) ----------- Irenaeus
PERGAMUM (312 to -606) ------- Martin
THYATIRA (606--1520) ----------- colombo
SARDIS (1520--1750) --------- Luther
PHILADELPHIA (1750--1906) ---- Wesley
LAODICEA: - corresponds to a messenger of America (from USA).

Not if this is historically useful, or if there are any interesting process on dates, but put Paul as part of a process, historically speaking, gives the impression of Paul as a renewal of a structure that no longer believed he could work more and therefore a renewal religiously linked to a political system because for me Paul was more political than anything else and had to do with the progress of Europe, has always taken its cultural foundations and religious either in Africa was required or in the Middle East.

Thanks.

The problem with all of the above is that it is derived from later retrojected faked histories for the most part. That's what I kept finding over and over again: a lot of rewriting and "retroactive continuity" as they put it in the comic book world. That is why I am doing what I am doing: trying to get back to verifiable basics and that means trying to get from Point A to Point B without endless diversions, digressions, and including a lot of material and discussion that may be related, but not necessarily relevant to the point I want to get to. THIS discussion is about the dating of the rule of Pontius Pilate in Judea. Indeed, some background has to be laid, but what I am getting to is the point that it seems that Josephus manufactured history for a period of time about which he knew very little. He was born in 37 AD. He relied on other works to create his history, the main one being that of Nicolaus of Damascus who was the court historian of Herod the Great. His history stops shortly after the death of Herod - during the alleged reign of Archelaus. At that point, until one comes to his own times, Josephus is just making a lot of stuff up. This is VERY evident in the fact that one finds numerous doublets and even triplets, sometimes the very words repeated in the same order. One finds an incident that may have happened in Josephus time, retrojected to a different time and place with a few different characters, but basically the same things repeated over and over again. He mixes things up, too.

For example, the situation surrounding the order of Gaius (Caligula) to erect his statue in the Jerusalem Temple and how Petronius tried to put this off while Herod Agrippa was persuading his Imperial pal to give up the idea. We are told that the appeal succeeded and Gaius cancelled the order, but then got a letter from Petronius asking him to rescind it and this made him so angry that he sent an order for Petronius to commit suicide. But, storms delayed the ship carrying the message to commit suicide, and the news that the emperor had been assassinated came first, so Petronius was off the hook.

When you compare the story of Pilate's face off with the Jews over the standards or shields (depending on whether you accept Josephus account or Philo's) you see not only some similar scene descriptions, but also the lucky death of the emperor just before the Pilate/Petronius has to face the music. Now, how likely is it that two prefects of Judea would be in a situation involving alleged violation of Jewish religious laws who get their buns hauled out of the fire by the death of the emperor???

We note that Philo says nothing about that, but does tell us how furious Tiberius was with Pilate. So the likelihood is that Pilate was ordered to put things right, wait for Germanicus to arrive, at which point he would have been replaced... and probably was. However, Germanicus DID die around that time, so that may have saved Pilate from immediate condemnation. We hear nothing about a trial of Pilate in Rome which Tacitus might have mentioned, so we don't know what happened. There is a later story that he was banished to Viene. But then, that is a doublet of the story of Archelaus!!!

The truth is, no one knows what the heck was going on in Judea from about the time of the death of Herod the Great until around the time of Josephus in 37 AD. He probably was able to query his elders about the immediate past, but we simply cannot rely on his "history". However, those writing biblical texts - gospels and Acts, did rely on Josephus. Big mistake.

Now, turning in another direction, toward your question about the "Seven Churches." Notice that Alvar Ellegard suggests that the book of Revelation was written, most of it, during the great rebellion. Revelation is a certain type of work that uses motifs and type-scenes common to Near Eastern myth. Revelation 12, for example, has much in common with several episodes of Hesiod's version of the Greek creation myth. Hesiod's Theogony is the master text behind several sections of Revelation. However, the monotheistic treatment of Revelation means that characters and episodes are often combined. The parts about the seven churches are added on to the main mythical structure later so there's no point in getting one's knickers in a knot about that. One has to begin at the beginning, carefully verify and build an understanding and not go off half-cocked like most researchers do.

Laura, in Reply#1 of your ongoing expose I found the following in the second Josephus' quote you published:

Florus was the Roman procurator of Judea from 64 to 66, so it is pretty obvious that this Saul can have nothing to do with the apostle Paul who, by the way, is only referred to as “Saul” in Acts; Paul never indicates or suggests that his real name was Saul. In view of Paul’s own statements about his activities and whereabouts at various points, the further parts of the above passage are interesting:

As far as I can determine, this is part of your own text and NOT a quote from Josephus.

Furthermore, after the colon the next part of your reasoning seems missing.

Hope you will rearrange and complete this part, as in its current state it's preventing me from understanding where you're going.

Palinurus said:
Laura, in Reply#1 of your ongoing expose I found the following in the second Josephus' quote you published:

Florus was the Roman procurator of Judea from 64 to 66, so it is pretty obvious that this Saul can have nothing to do with the apostle Paul who, by the way, is only referred to as “Saul” in Acts; Paul never indicates or suggests that his real name was Saul. In view of Paul’s own statements about his activities and whereabouts at various points, the further parts of the above passage are interesting:

As far as I can determine, this is part of your own text and NOT a quote from Josephus.

Furthermore, after the colon the next part of your reasoning seems missing.

Hope you will rearrange and complete this part, as in its current state it's preventing me from understanding where you're going.

Fixed. I'm transferring it from a word doc that has lots of text enhancements AND footnotes that don't transfer.

Thanks Laura.
I just inspected the result and now understand the flow of your argument much better. I had already discovered that nothing was really missing on second reading. Looking forward to the continuation of the essays. :cool2:

«Reply # 4 of Laura on: Yesterday at 1:20:55 PM»

"Hesiod's Theogony is the master text behind several sections of Revelation. However, the treatment of monotheistic Revelation That Means Often characters and episodes are combined. "
---------------------------- ---------------------------- -----------------------------
That's supposed to be so, since monotheism and judaism mean the same thing, that is "Those who believe in one god".

Re: Josephus, Pilate and Paul
«Reply # 4 of Laura on: Yesterday at 2:08:42 PM»

"Herod HAD Caused Such things to be made Which Were Contrary to the law, Of which I was Accused by Judas and Matthias; for the king HAD erected over the great gate of the temple a large golden eagle, of great value, and HAD dedicated it to the temple. Now the law forbids Those That ACCORDING TO propose to live it, to erect images or representations of any living creature. "
------------------------------- -------------------------------- ----------------------------

This means that Jews already have rooted their monotheism, or were laying the foundations of the current Zionism, but that does not justify the fear that Rome had Jewish rebellions at that time. Perhaps Pilatos's handwashing is symbolic act, but after that, the fear of a Jewish rebellion is hidden, And I find difficult understand. The supremacy of the Roman army was evident, then why this fear?

caballero reyes said:
This means that Jews already have rooted their monotheism, or were laying the foundations of the current Zionism, but that does not justify the fear that Rome had Jewish rebellions at that time. Perhaps Pilatos's handwashing is symbolic act, but after that, the fear of a Jewish rebellion is hidden, And I find difficult understand. The supremacy of the Roman army was evident, then why this fear?

You are assuming that the Romans "feared" a Jewish rebellion. That is actually not the case as you state it. Rome simply didn't tolerate rebellion.

You are assuming that Pilate washed his hands. From what HISTORY do you derive that scene?

You are right, I was assuming and taking as historical something that most likely is not, of Matthew 27. 24, 25:
The question of Pilate washing hands to avoid responsibility for an act.

Predominance in me the memory of a Bible study from a point of view that I found interesting, examining parts / verses and find some transcendent meaning. so I put the "hand washing", and according to this study Pilate washed his hands evading responabilidad but in doing so, the prefect of Judea proved that he had no internal development ... but I got sidetracked because this topic is about events of historical proof only.

caballero reyes said:
You are right, I was assuming and taking as historical something that most likely is not, of Matthew 27. 24, 25:
The question of Pilate washing hands to avoid responsibility for an act.

Predominance in me the memory of a Bible study from a point of view that I found interesting, examining parts / verses and find some transcendent meaning. so I put the "hand washing", and according to this study Pilate washed his hands evading responabilidad but in doing so, the prefect of Judea proved that he had no internal development ... but I got sidetracked because this topic is about events of historical proof only.

It took me a LOOOOONG time to get over that programming. This is one of the reasons I'm presenting things the way I am. When you start digging for dates and witnesses and find out that the gospels/acts are so much later than anything else, and there was much earlier stuff that said very different things, then you have to go: :headbash:

Laura, reading your latest installment, I find it difficult to match these two remarks:

Sabinus, Caesar's steward for Syrian affairs, as he was making haste into Judea to preserve Herod's effects

"Sabinus" was probably just a low level military commander that Varus left in charge when he took the treasures of Jerusalem back with him to Antioch.

It seems to me that this Sabinus was a special envoy of Caesar's with specific orders to represent Caesar's interests in the mopping up of Herod's legacy. Such a person cannot have been a rather low level military commander under Varus' jurisdiction. Rather, he would've been something like a legatus Augusti IMO.

EDIT: Maybe it was Gaius Poppaeus Sabinus ?

THE BRIDE AND PAUL.---
Paul the politician, wanted the ideal girlfriend, a church made of many faithful, full of faith ( The Bride),but the church project was transformed into a shameless flirt, transvestite, but very universal (katholiha).

PONTIUS PILATES .---
Pilate of Pontiis family (?)

The root pon / pun / puni / phen, has always seemed very interesting:

Pontius / Pontio / puncture / punicio / phoenicio.

«Reply # 4 of Laura on: Yesterday at 1:20:55 PM»

"THIS discussion is about the dating of the rule of Pontius Pilate in Judea. Indeed, some background has to be laid, but what I am getting to the point that it is Seems That Josephus manufactured history for a period of time About Which I Knew very little. "
____________ ____________ ____________

I have the impression that you doubt about historical existence of Pontius Pilate as prefect of Judaea, I say this because many historians doubt that there existed the famous "kingdom of Judea".

200 years have failed to find any significant remnant, a ruin of some palace or building, instead found evidence of the historical existence of Capernaum and Casarea. There may be some forum archaeologist or anthropologist to tell us something about this dubious matter.

Further digging revealed that Sabinus was procurator or treasurer.

See: _https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/judaica/ejud_0002_0017_0_17227.html

Back
Top Bottom