RIP Neil Peart - Rush

It was Neil Peart who inspired me to take up drumming in my late teens. IMO, the best rock drummer of all time.

It was Neil Peart who made me give up drums.. That's what I want to do, and there's no way.. I can't do that. The guy was absolutely outstanding. I have heard nothing that even comes close, and he makes.. made.. it all look so effortless. The mark of an utter perfectionist

In 1977, my best friend’s older brother bought me All The World’s A Stage for my 11th birthday. Me and my buddy absorbed that album, learning every nuance of the guitar, bass, and drums until by summer’s end we could both play all three parts interchangeably with 80% proficiency (we were mortal after all). We both became musicians, him going on to tour the world opening for Accept in the 80s, and myself playing for decades in bands in Southern California. Rush opened the door between two boys crazy about KISS to two young men who would very quickly eclipse our contemporaries in high school garage bands. Neil’s lyrics were similarly a doorway from songs about girls to reading Ayn Rand and Samuel Taylor Coleridge (among others). I honestly cannot say I would have grown to be the person that I am today if Gary hadn’t bought me that record. I saw Rush live a dozen times over the years. Neil was huge in my life. A prolific writer with an equally prolific mind. He will be hugely missed.

My band met through our mutual love of Rush. Even today after 30 years together we still use this song as our “test for echo” before we commence with whatever it is we’re working on on a given day, or as our sound check before a gig. A complex and challenging piece guaranteed to get everyone focused.

La Villa Strangiato - Rush

In 1977, my best friend’s older brother bought me All The World’s A Stage for my 11th birthday. Me and my buddy absorbed that album, learning every nuance of the guitar, bass, and drums until by summer’s end we could both play all three parts interchangeably with 80% proficiency (we were mortal after all). We both became musicians, him going on to tour the world opening for Accept in the 80s, and myself playing for decades in bands in Southern California. Rush opened the door between two boys crazy about KISS to two young men who would very quickly eclipse our contemporaries in high school garage bands. Neil’s lyrics were similarly a doorway from songs about girls to reading Ayn Rand and Samuel Taylor Coleridge (among others). I honestly cannot say I would have grown to be the person that I am today if Gary hadn’t bought me that record. I saw Rush live a dozen times over the years. Neil was huge in my life. A prolific writer with an equally prolific mind. He will be hugely missed.

I found out an interesting thing about Geddy Lee today. His name is actually Gary.. but with the heavily accented way his mother used to pronounce it, his friends started calling him 'Geddy', because that's how she pronounced it.. strange, but apparently true

A great man, whose interests were very broad. Not only one of the best drummers in the world, but also a poet and an author. I understand Neil was the main philosophical / lyrical source for Rush's music. Rip - you certainly affected me.

Back
Top Bottom