Russia-Ireland-UK-Europe...

Arwenn

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
So I have come back after 2 months of travelling. We tired to cover as many places as we could because 1) Australia is soooo far away from the rest of the world and 2) my daughter starts senior school next year and taking too much time off will just not be feasible. I thought I would post a bit of the places we went to and some of the adventures we had along the way... :)

RUSSIA

We started our trip in Moscow, had 2 days here with a local guide. Loved seeing the Red Square, the Kremlin and all its cathedrals, St. Basil's Cathedral, Moscow University, some of the glorious parks and monuments dotted all across the city. It was very daunting with the language barrier, especially as the Russian script is so different. Nonetheless, we threw ourselves in to the deep end, and caught the metro on our first night (successfully but with much accompanying trepidation!) to the Old Arabat- a lovely pedestrian street with performers, shops, restaurants and historic buildings. It was interesting to hear our guide talk about life in Soviet times, how hard things were back then. She felt that while things were on the improve, living conditions were still hard, and she seemed to have a very guarded prognosis about Putin as President. I didn't want to press her more on the issue, but I thought it quite curious.

GC_Europe_Russia_Moscow_Red%20Square_APT_89692744_s_LR.jpg

Speaking of the Moscow Metro, it is one of the most efficient transport systems (trains come every 2 minutes) I have been on, with many stunning stations full of statues, monuments, mosaic artworks and paintings.

images
images
images
images

Temperatures here in late August were quite warm, considering I'd always thought of Russia as being really cold most of the time. They do get a summer- it was 26 degrees C both days in Moscow and we were so hot walking around! We were trying to imagine it covered in snow, with all the people wearing those gorgeous Russian hats and fur coats. I thought the women were gorgeous, and always modestly if not beautifully and elegantly dressed. Maybe it was because we were mainly in the city and the historic parts, and perhaps it's different in the suburbs, but even driving around and noting the way people carried themselves, it was nice to see girls and women dressed so well (rather than baring as much skin and flesh which seems to be the unfortunate trend in most Western countries :rolleyes: )

From Moscow we went to Sergiev Possad, Vladimir and Suzdal, to look at more amazing cathedrals and monasteries dotted in smaller towns away from the bustle of Moscow, steeped in so much history. Our guide for this part funnily enough, was a lovely Russian lady who is married to an Australian man and lives 1 hour away from me in Australia! She spends some of the year in Russia catching up with friends and family, and the rest of the time in Australia with her husband.

She was lovely to talk to, and she felt relieved at our opinions of Russia not being the bad cop, and our ability to see past the lies peddled by the Western media. Interestingly, she was not convinced of Russia in Putin's hands as President initially, but his annexing Crimea sealed the deal for her. As she recalled, she has family in Crimea, it has always been Russian and the people there are strongly aligned to Russia. The population of Crimea generally seem really happy to be part of Russia again., from what she says. She also talked about the sanctions and how it has helped the Ruskies look at developing their own agriculture and internal infrastructure. She took us to their hyper-market (a supermarket which is so huge, it spans a block, and there are hundreds of varieties of all sorts of food and groceries). Let me assure you, the Russians are far from going without, judging by the 1000s of varieties of various products and foods and deli goods on offer.

Sergiev Posad Vladimir Suzdal
images
images
images

We absolutely loved Moscow and the Golden cities- the traditional shawls, the babushka dolls, the wooden boxes so intricately painted in Vladimir, the traditional folk embroidery of the region had me in awe. There was also a lot of restoration of monuments, roads and pavements in progress, a reflection of tax payers money going where it should (OSIT). I found Moscow really interesting in architecture from the Russian Czars to the Soviet times to just modern apartments all juxtaposed... A city I would be quite happy to visit again and in more detail.

We then caught an overnight train to St. Petersburg, which I will continue in my next post.....

Wow, what a beautiful place!!!
Happy for your delightful trip to such interesting country.
It seem as, happy ending story book come to be live in there.
Thank you for sharing and looking forward to read your next post.

Arwenn said:
So I have come back after 2 months of travelling. We tired to cover as many places as we could because 1) Australia is soooo far away from the rest of the world and 2) my daughter starts senior school next year and taking too much time off will just not be feasible. I thought I would post a bit of the places we went to and some of the adventures we had along the way... :)

I definitely agree with your traveling list. I have also visited many European and Asian countries and definitely Moscow is the most beautiful i have ever been to :)

Mod edit: Trimmed quoted post (was quoted in full)

Eliza Plank said:
Arwenn said:

I definitely agree with your traveling list. I have also visited many European and Asian countries and definitely Moscow is the most beautiful i have ever been to :)

Mod edit: Trimmed quoted post (was quoted in full)

Moscow is definitely wonderful, and I would love to explore it more. St. Petersburg is just breathtaking and very different to Moscow, also another place I would love to spend more time...

It is really good. If you decided to go you won't regret it i am more than sure. My advice is to take a little bit more days because it is impossible to explore everything in one week.
I would say two or maybe more. And of course you need high budget because it is a bit expensive

To continue with my adventures..

We arrived in St. Petersburg at 8 am, and started our tour of the city. St Petersburg is just stunning. The buildings, palaces, churches, bridges, theatres, statues and monuments are breath-taking. And considering that St P was almost obliterated in WWII, it's a testament to that amazing Russian determination, to see it restored to it's former glory. I remember reading a thread on it, here is the post below:

Siberia said:
I also love Saint Petersburg very much! It is a fantastic city, absolutely stunning.

Unlike Moscow, which is Russia's heart and engine, Saint Petersburg is the soul of Russia, its wisdom and mystery, the deepest deep and the highest high of Russian spirit. No other city knew so much suffering and pain throughout its 300 years' history. It may seem cold, windy and blue, but for Russians it is the source of inspiration, the city of greatest Russian talents. Once you visit Petersburg, it will stay with you forever.

This video and song is about Saint Petersburg:

https://youtu.be/tcSQx8nPieo

Siberia was right, St P does stay with you. We visited the Hermitage museum, Catherine Palace, Peter & Paul fortress, the Winter Palace, St Issac's Cathedral, St Nicholas' Cathedral, Church of the Saviour.

images
170px-St._Petersburg_church.jpg
images
Russia_St._Petersburg_canal_595.jpg

Palace Square off Nevsky Prospect Church of The Saviour Hermitage Museum The 'Venice' of Russia

9465404486_cda8842e36_b.jpg

Inside of the Chuch of the Saviour (all mosaics and gold leaf)

St Petersburg has 3 main rivers, with many canals islands and about 800 bridges, so it is often called the Venice of Russia. It is full of art, history and culture. We went to the Hermitage theatre 1 evening to watch Swan Lake, and I literally felt like I stepped back in time. The performance itself was wonderful, let alone the beautiful paintings, chandeliers and tapestries that decorated the walls and the ceilings!
spb2.jpg
baltics_428x269_to_468x312.jpg

Ceiling inside the Theatre Grand Staircase Hermitage Museum
I will say that while it no doubt gets very cold, we had warm weather and dry days, with temps of about 25 degrees Celsius. We had evenings to ourselves, and our hotel was just off Nevsky Prospect, so some evenings we walked to the Galleria ( the main shopping Centre). The first night we got there we were wandering around, and then noticed that some shops were drawing their shutters down (and it was not closing time at all), as well as quite a few people starting to head down the escalators. It only registered a few minutes later that there was an evacuation in process, and when we were outside, we asked a lady to managed to communicate that there was a possible bomb threat. :O We asked our tour guide the next day, who said this was a frequent occurrence, whether it actually was an issue or rival shopping centres trying to cause havoc, or because of the tension with the situation in Ukraine, it was debatable. She didn't seem terribly concerned, but it was an adventure for us nonetheless!

On our way to Peterhoff palace, we drove past Constantine palace, which is where Vladimir Putin lives.
Konstantinovskiy-034-400x250.jpg

We loved walking around, felt totally safe at night, enjoyed watching the people and the buskers, loved shopping for souvenirs such as the babushka dolls and the Russian scarves. Then it was sadly time to say goodbye to Russia, and we then headed over to the Republic Of Ireland....

Thank you Arwenn.
All the pictures from St. Petersburg is stunningly beautiful. I enjoyed watching video and love to hear song too. What a wonderful place.
A few years ago, when I heard song called Million Roses sing by Russia singer Alla Rugacheva, I falling love their sound of Language, even I don't know any.

Yes, thanks for sharing your trip and photos.

I had no idea they used so much colour in their buildings. Some amazing architecture for sure.

Thanks for the info and photos Arwenn, St Petersburg looks so beautiful and your photos are wonderful. Swan Lake in the Hermitage Theatre, how wonderful would that be!!

Looking forward to more on the holiday.

Hey Arwenn,

Really enjoyed hearing of your adventures thus far and those pictures were stunning!! I have actually never met anyone i personally know who has been to Russia, so its very illuminating hearing about this!! Look forward to hearing about the rest of your travels!!!

Wow, thanks for the pics Arwenn! I haven't had the travel bug for quite some time now, but looking at these pics, I might have to dust off the old traveling boots :) looking forward to hearing all about it on our next skype :cool2:

Back
Top Bottom