Samsung tv's

loreta

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Hi, I have a friend who have 3 big Samsung TVs. She is not scare but just concerned vue that theses apparatus can listen and see even if you close the switch. Can she do something else, apart to put off the switch that connect these TV to Internet? Or just put the TV in the garbitch ? She is not scare but preoccupied. Do you have an advice concerning these TVs? Is there something people who have these TV can do ? I checked for information in the forum but did not find anything about a solution ? Maybe you have an idea or an advice that will be very appreciated.

Thank you!

Samsung TVs: How to stop Samsung’s smart TVs from spying on you (February 11th, 2015 at 11:35 AM)
_http://bgr.com/2015/02/11/how-to-stop-samsung-smart-tv-spying-guide/

Samsung TVs disconnecting cameras
https://www.google.fr/search?q=Samsung+TVs+disconnecting+cameras&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=nbzPWL7tO6ustgegoJKQAQ

CNET How To - Stop your Samsung Smart TV from spying ... - YouTube
_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQR_0x8ktM0

For the camera, put a piece of black electrical tape over it.

For the mics, that's a bit harder to block effectively...

The best option is to use an ethernet cable, turn TV's WiFi off if it has it, and then when the TV is not being used, unplug the network cable. Can't spy on you if it's not connected.

Of course, you might assume that it will record things on internal memory for later upload, which is a possibility... So then maybe just unplug the darn thing.

DONE! :lol:

For the camera, put a piece of black electrical tape over it.

Is there any indication that the camera is behind the screen. Thus it may take a little more, and or know how of Disconnecting Scottie?

Especially the 2016, 2017, and soon the 2018 models ?

Thank you very much for all this information! I really appreciate your help in her name. I will give her right away all these advices and articles. Thank you!

I was more concerned when we got a Smart TV about the radiation from the Wifi. I found that it always emits wireless signals until you unplug the AC cable! The ethernet cable and spoofing a static IP address didn't help. This is a curved Samsung Smart TV. I'm not aware of a camera on ours, and I've always assumed that "the walls have ears" so I don't really say much more than I would normally say.

If the person is brave and doesn't mind voiding their warranty, there are videos showing how to take apart the back and disconnect or remove the wireless transmitter.

Here’s a step by step guide: to deactivate mic.

Press the menu button on your remote and access the Settings menu
Scroll to Smart Features and press select
Then scroll down until you reach Voice Recognition and disable that setting
Voila! Your TV can no longer listen in on your conversations — intentionally or accidentally. Of course, this will disable all of your voice control functionality, but truth be told, it doesn’t work very well on many models anyway.
https://www.google.fr/search?q=Samsung+TVs+disconnecting+cameras&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=nbzPWL7tO6ustgegoJKQAQ

That is from c.a.'s post above. I had a look at my son's huge, curved Samsung tv and I can't see a camera located in the top middle of the screen which is black. I assumed that would be where its located but not sure. Anyway, unplugging it would do the job I suppose.

3D Student said:
I was more concerned when we got a Smart TV about the radiation from the Wifi. I found that it always emits wireless signals until you unplug the AC cable! The ethernet cable and spoofing a static IP address didn't help. This is a curved Samsung Smart TV. I'm not aware of a camera on ours, and I've always assumed that "the walls have ears" so I don't really say much more than I would normally say.

If the person is brave and doesn't mind voiding their warranty, there are videos showing how to take apart the back and disconnect or remove the wireless transmitter.

Very helpful. I'm working on getting wi fi out of my grandkids bedrooms and unplugging the AC cable sounds easy enough for lazy people. Whats the AC cable? :huh: duh.

SummerLite said:

Voila! Your TV can no longer listen in on your conversations — intentionally or accidentally. Of course, this will disable all of your voice control functionality, but truth be told, it doesn’t work very well on many models anyway.

That is from c.a.'s post above. I had a look at my son's huge, curved Samsung tv and I can't see a camera located in the top middle of the screen which is black. I assumed that would be where its located but not sure. Anyway, unplugging it would do the job I suppose.

3D Student said:

Very helpful. I'm working on getting wi fi out of my grandkids bedrooms and unplugging the AC cable sounds easy enough for lazy people. Whats the AC cable? :huh: duh.

For locating the camera is there a way to turn it on to see what it's looking at? If you could see yourself on the tv then you can just reach around to locate where the picture is coming from I would think. The AC cable 3D is talking about is simply the power cord.

Scottie said:
[...]So then maybe just unplug the darn thing. [...]

That was my decision years ago and there was no single instance that I regretted it since then!

In regards to protect oneself from spying devises in general, I would say that when you already live in an environment that has all sorts of modern equipment (be it in your own home or the neighbors etc.) there is simply no sure way to protect yourself from possible spy activity. And who is not living in such an environment nowadays?

One can minimize the likelihood of it though, via the means that were already brought up, like covering the camera etc. In regards to WIFi waves and such, it is always a good idea to minimize those exposures as best as possible.

Personally I don't obsess and are too paranoid about me being spied on, since I gather that they (whomever they are, CIA, NSA or whatever) already know it anyway. I do take precautions though as best as possible, as described above. A lot of technology nowadays can be used as spying material. I guess what I'm trying to say is that getting paranoid about it, is not helping me.

Having said that, it of course also depends on the situation at hand.

Pete said:
SummerLite said:

3D Student said:

For locating the camera is there a way to turn it on to see what it's looking at? If you could see yourself on the tv then you can just reach around to locate where the picture is coming from I would think. The AC cable 3D is talking about is simply the power cord.

If you have Skype on your smart TV, (mine does), you could set up a Skype video chat, and move your hand around the TV until you see where the camera is located. Then just apply some black tape over it.

If pulling the plug every time is a hassle for her like it is for me, then I recommend using an extension cord (power strip) that has a physical power switch on and off. I find it much more tolerable to flip the switch on and off rather than plug in and unplug every time.

hlat said:
If pulling the plug every time is a hassle for her like it is for me, then I recommend using an extension cord (power strip) that has a physical power switch on and off. I find it much more tolerable to flip the switch on and off rather than plug in and unplug every time.

You can take it even one step further and connect it to a "Radio frequency remote controlled power switch" and just switch the power off by remote. You can controll more than one socket by one remote. Especially useful if you want to hide the wires and mechanical switches from plain sight or the socket is behind some furniture. It's not even expensive.

Myself I am not paranoiac at all in that sense because I know that some things you can not control.

Thanks for your inputs.

Back
Top Bottom