sausage making

liam1310

The Cosmic Force
FOTCM Member
Hi all, I recently bought a whole pig to can and make sausages, Inspired by Laura,s youtube video on sausage making that I watched last year, at the time I attempted to make them but they didn't turn out very well, so decided to have another go as I love sausages and cant get decent ones.

Second attempt didn't go to well either, were not to my liking, sausages shrank when cooked, lost a lot
of juices, so were very dry to eat.

third attempt turned out much better, used fresh herbs from my balcony, sage, thyme and chives mixed with, by weight 50% pork fat 50% meat put into natural casings that I bought online, the butchers here charge way to much for them,

They turned out very well, didn't shrink much when cooked and tasted delicious. Takes a while to make but it is worth it in the end. :)

Anyone else making making sausages or have any tips?

Attachments

• sausages.jpg
    sausages.jpg
    869.1 KB · Views: 101
Thank you for sharing. Did you follow just the video or any recipe here on the forum?

liam1310 said:
Anyone else making making sausages or have any tips?

Unfortunately I'm not doing any sausages, but it is great that you accomplished it and that they turned out well in the end. I think it is normal that it just needs some practice until all ingredients are adjusted and sausages come out in the end :).

I never tried it myself but there maybe is a chance that a butcher could make sausages as well if you provide the batch of meat and spices. But I think learning it yourself is the most fun.

At my local butchers in the Uk you can request the type you require (gluten free etc) most butchers here in the uk will use a mix with rusk in so not great if your paleo/keto. When I was a butcher which was a while ago in a 20lb mix the ratio was 17lb meat and 3lb rusk.

For dried sausages using meat from pork shoulder, shoulder blade. But usually used for dried ham or prosciutto.
In addition to meat of ham and shoulder blades for dry sausage, I use the dry part of the bacon belly and roast.
This recipe I got from my family, maybe you like it:
Meat for dry sausage grind once a windshield for 8mm thinner or windshield 10mm thick sausages.
When you are in a bowl put all kinds of meat, season it with all spices except salt. Mix well and leave the ground before 6-12 hours to spices and meat sausage well permeate.
I do not use garlic in pieces but it beat up the night before with the shell in the cloth and the water the hot water and leave it overnight to take water all flavor from it. Then the water with the garlic press through a cloth and use the liquid in a mixture of dry sausages. At 500g garlic put 1 liter of water.
Salt and water from the crushed garlic add just the already minced meat sausage because otherwise the meat leaves the water.
Minced bacon allocation evenly across minced meat and then it Mixing hands in the mixture for sausages.
The mixture of sausage before filling, leave one hour - two at room temperature because cold very hard in the full hose.
Every now and then stir it to all be the same temperature.

Have you ever tried to eat sausages, which are kept in lard 12 months?
Thus, semi-dry sausages mature as in vacuo.
Taste is fantastic :)

Thanks for bringing up this topic!

Since yesterday I am thinking about making my own sausages or ask a butcher to make some special ones!

I will look at Lauras video and keep a bookmark to that recipe Casper told us. :flowers:

Gawan said:
Thank you for sharing. Did you follow just the video or any recipe here on the forum?

Hi Gawan

Didn't know there were recipes on the forum. I searched around online and just used herbs I have grown on the balcony.

I never tried it myself but there maybe is a chance that a butcher could make sausages as well if you provide the batch of meat and spices. But I think learning it yourself is the most fun.

thanks never thought of asking a butcher to make them, but I would rather do it myself as you say learning how to do it is the most fun. :)

Thebull said:
At my local butchers in the Uk you can request the type you require (gluten free etc) most butchers here in the uk will use a mix with rusk in so not great if your paleo/keto. When I was a butcher which was a while ago in a 20lb mix the ratio was 17lb meat and 3lb rusk.

Have heard oats can be used to replace rusk. I haven't tried it might do in the future.

casper said:
For dried sausages using meat from pork shoulder, shoulder blade. But usually used for dried ham or prosciutto.
In addition to meat of ham and shoulder blades for dry sausage, I use the dry part of the bacon belly and roast.
This recipe I got from my family, maybe you like it:
Meat for dry sausage grind once a windshield for 8mm thinner or windshield 10mm thick sausages.
When you are in a bowl put all kinds of meat, season it with all spices except salt. Mix well and leave the ground before 6-12 hours to spices and meat sausage well permeate.
I do not use garlic in pieces but it beat up the night before with the shell in the cloth and the water the hot water and leave it overnight to take water all flavor from it. Then the water with the garlic press through a cloth and use the liquid in a mixture of dry sausages. At 500g garlic put 1 liter of water.
Salt and water from the crushed garlic add just the already minced meat sausage because otherwise the meat leaves the water.
Minced bacon allocation evenly across minced meat and then it Mixing hands in the mixture for sausages.
The mixture of sausage before filling, leave one hour - two at room temperature because cold very hard in the full hose.
Every now and then stir it to all be the same temperature.

Have you ever tried to eat sausages, which are kept in lard 12 months?
Thus, semi-dry sausages mature as in vacuo.
Taste is fantastic :)

Thanks casper, might give this a go is it dry cured meat your using? The way I made it required the meat be kept as cold as possible through the whole process. Mixed herbs and salt with meat belly/shoulder put in the freezer for a few hours, then put through the grinder add water back in the fridge for a couple of hours then through the grinder into casings that's the tricky bit. :)
sausages kept in lard for 12 months never tried it, are they kept in the fridge or canned?

naorma said:
Thanks for bringing up this topic!

Since yesterday I am thinking about making my own sausages or ask a butcher to make some special ones!

I will look at Lauras video and keep a bookmark to that recipe Casper told us. :flowers:

Hi naorma
just in case you don't find it, here is the video Laura made, just re watched it been a while since I seen it had to search around for it.
good luck with the sausage making. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhgNufnjfZU

There is a recipe of Laura's Breakfast Sausage in recipe section:
https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,6103.msg46548.html#msg46548

And the same recipe translated to German:
Laura's Breakfast Sausage - Lauras Frühstückswürstchen bzw. Hamburger
https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,39007.msg625882.html#msg625882

The video version is more step by step with much more details.

Have fun :)

liam1310 said:
Hi naorma
just in case you don't find it, here is the video Laura made, just re watched it been a while since I seen it had to search around for it.
good luck with the sausage making. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhgNufnjfZU

Thank you, liam! I was just watching it. Inspiring!

Does not seem too complicated although some training might be necessary due to your description.
Right now I feel a little bit sorry about the impossibility to get real good biological (pork) meat in Austria. I once was talking to a butchers wife who also has pigs and thought about changing to a biological way of keeping them. She said: "Well, there is not so much difference to normal handling. You only have to avoid 7 ingredients, thats all. So we will leave it like it is . . ." :( That means that everytime someone tells you he is raising up animals in a "biological" way you have to ask him what exactly he is doing - - - -

Yesterday I made not sausages but paddies - really delicious, added some summer savory (Bohnenkraut) because I have a lot of them in my garden and Galangal (Galgant) which I like very much. Also pepper, salt, garlic, garlic, garlic and onions.

The best thing was that I got used again to my mechanical meat grinder and started to love him. I have to find a sausage filler for that machine! It ended up that I also made some kidneypastry and it was delicious, too - with all that bacon in it!!!!

Merci beaucoup! :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom