Saving drafts option for posting?

ScarletBegonias

Dagobah Resident
Hello All,

This section says I can post design quirks and complaints, but this post is intended to be a possible suggestion for design improvement. If there are others who feel the same way about my idea then the "possible suggestion" becomes a suggestion. And if there is someone on the Cassiopaea Forum with the ability and desire to do the extra work to make it happen then that's awesome, but if not, no worries. :)

IMO it would be convienant if we had the option to save drafts of posts on this site. Sometimes I visit the forum from my work computer and only have limited windows of opportunities to read and/or post. There have been numerous times when I've been in the middle of writing a post, but I've run out of 'time.' At these times I'll email the text to myself in order to continue working on it later from my computer at home. Also, sometimes if I'm at home and posting, but I need to leave my computer for some reason, I'll save the text in a Word document just to be safe.

Every time these incidents occur I think of how convenient it would be to have a "save to drafts" option on here. I'm not sure what anyone else thinks about this idea, or how costly and/or difficult it would be to add, but I figured I'd post it up on here to get some input. :D

Hi Scarlet,

Your suggestion requires a modification to be added to the forum software. Sometimes adding a modification could create problems but we do have super Mr. Scott, :thup: so I'll highlight your request to him. :)

Voila!

Saved drafts are accessible from the Post page, as well as your Profile page.

:guru:

Oh my gosh, this is absolutely wonderful! I just saved a draft to test it out and it was so easy! :wow: I have a feeling others will find this option very handy as well. :D Ooh and I've also noticed there are now keyboard shortcuts and additional options which I will definitely be using! Thank you so much for making all of these cool changes, Mr. Scott!! I really appreciate the time and efforts you and Vulcan59 have made to make this all happen. :hug2:

Scarlet said:
Oh my gosh, this is absolutely wonderful! I just saved a draft to test it out and it was so easy! :wow: I have a feeling others will find this option very handy as well. :D Ooh and I've also noticed there are now keyboard shortcuts and additional options which I will definitely be using! Thank you so much for making all of these cool changes, Mr. Scott!! I really appreciate the time and efforts you and Vulcan59 have made to make this all happen. :hug2:

Yes it is a useful feature, thanks Scarlet for suggesting it and thanks Mr. Scott for putting it in place

Well, just wait until SMF 2.0 is released. That's the upcoming new version of this forum software.

There is a different Drafts mod for that new version (which is currently in "Release Candidate" phase) that is even fancier!

:cool:

The pleasure is all mine, Pob, ;D, and this all sounds very exciting, Mr. Scott! I look forward to your developments and keep up the great work! BTW, I've already saved a draft for a new topic that I plan to post!! :D

New function?

I just stumbled on this new feature, while checking something on my profile, that now it is possible to save drafts for posts and topics! :D

Or maybe it's not new and I never saw it before?

Re: New function?

It is very new, have a look here: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=22236.msg237628#top ;)

Vulcan59 said:
Hi Legolas,

I merged your post. :)

Thank you Vulcan and Enaid, I missed that one! And thanks to Mr. Scott for that fancy forum feature.

Glad to know about the draft option...unfortunately I discovered this thread while trying to find help for a post I just lost. I was logged in for 120 minutes and it expired while I was posting. Thinking I was still logged in, I sent the post and it vanished as well as was not posted. I have no idea if I can retrieve it--or how to determine time left on login from the posting page. If anyone knows how to resurrect a missing post, please holler back! Thanks.

KJN said:
Glad to know about the draft option...unfortunately I discovered this thread while trying to find help for a post I just lost. I was logged in for 120 minutes and it expired while I was posting. Thinking I was still logged in, I sent the post and it vanished as well as was not posted. I have no idea if I can retrieve it--or how to determine time left on login from the posting page. If anyone knows how to resurrect a missing post, please holler back! Thanks.

Hi KJN,

I don't think that it is possible.

However, the safest way to not lose what you are writing is to write it in a word document and when you have finished you copy-paste it in a post on this forum.

Another option could be when you log in, choose the option "Forever". So you will not lose your connection after x hours.

Back
Top Bottom