Scottish Shortbread Biscuits – Gluten-free

Ollie

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
Scottish, as opposed to ordinary, shortbread is made in one piece in a tin and cut into wedges after baking. I began experimenting with recipes (7th version given below) for this after feeling guilty about buying the gluten versions for my aged mother after each walking trip. They are a favourite afternoon snack for her.

Ingredients:
1 C Buckwheat flour
2tbsp plus 3tsp ground Arrowroot*
175g (6oz) cold cubed butter
100g (3 1/2oz) raw cane sugar / Xylitol / 50:50 (all work equally well, taste-wise)
1/2tsp salt
1tsp Baking Powder*

*Ground Arrowroot gives it a crunchier texture, and Baking Powder gives a softer, airier crumb.

Method:
Sift and mix the Buckwheat flour, ground Arrowroot, salt and Baking Powder.
Cream the butter and sugar.
Add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter/sugar mix, and mix well, using your hands to bring it together to form a ball of dough.
Knead together for about 1 minute.
Wrap in cling film and refrigerate/chill for 1 hr.

Preheat oven to 300F / 150C / Gas Mk 2
Dough may need reworking on taking out of fridge, if it is particularly hard.
Roll dough out to a thickness of 6mm (1/4in), flouring well (it needs lots)
Use the loose base of an 8in (20cm) loose-based sponge tin to cut rolled dough to size. Line rolled dough into the sponge tin. The dough handles well and feels solid. Using a palette knife mark out 8 or 12 wedges, and prick with a fork all over to reduce the amount of rise during baking.
There is sufficient dough left over to make other shapes to bake.
Bake for 12 minutes. Note: avoid over cooking, plus or minus 2 minutes makes a lot of difference – beware of burning at the edges.
Remove from oven and leave to cool for at least 1 hour before even thinking of touching it.
Use palette knife to re-cut wedge lines, and then lift out of sponge tin. Store in an airtight container.

My mother prefers this Gluten-free Scottish Shortbread to the Gluten variety; the shortbread is delightfully soft and moist, with a crunch.

Edit: sorted conversion units.

I LOVE shortbread! I'm definitely going to be trying this!

Since I can't find any local pre made gluten free snacks free of soy...this was timely indeed! Thank you! (Now I just have to feel well enough to bake some....) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I tried these last weekend and they were really good, thanks for the recipe! My mom said this was the best thing I have baked, and she kept coming back for more.

I don't have a scale so I had to look up the volume of ghee and sugar. I came up with 3/4 cup of ghee and 1/2 cup of sugar, which was too much oil and it was "muddy" the first time. The second time I used 1/3 cup oil and it needed a tablespoon more to work with. This one was actually intact. I wonder if you can skip the hour chill, because they are so good you want to make them quick and eat them. :P

Interesting that the C's recently said shortbread cookies were the best. I'd have to agree. These are the closest I have come to some evil gluten cookie as far as texture, etc.

3D Student said:
... I wonder if you can skip the hour chill, because they are so good you want to make them quick and eat them. :P

Unfortunately not, the buckwheat needs to work with the ingredients. :)

NOTE: You cannot just substitute ghee into this recipe! I tried substituting the butter for an equal weight of ghee, and it turned out really muddy… Since I've never made shortbread before I didn't know hat a proper consistency might be; I tried cooking some this way, and it melted into a pool in the pan! I half-salvaged those by adding more buckwheat and baking again. I took the remaining dough and worked more buckwheat into it until it took on a better consistency (less sticky and doughy). Then it worked all right. However, I'm going to have to experiment more, since I think I cooked the second batch too long. They are supposed to sort of melt in your mouth without being too grainy, right?

I noticed that as I added the extra buckwheat incrementally, there was a point at which it became less sticky, and then it seemed to start getting sticky again. I was wondering, is that the spot to aim for? On one side it gets sticky from the fat, and on the other side it gets sticky from the buckwheat, and the less sticky consistency in between the two is what we should aim for? Or am I wrong?

Also, out of curiosity, what will happen if you do cook it without chilling the ingredients? What does this step do?

EDIT: added some details and a couple questions.

These do sound like a must try!!! :D and having tasted some of Trevrizent's baking I'm sure they will be top notch ;D

HowToBe said:
NOTE: You cannot just substitute ghee into this recipe! I tried substituting the butter for an equal weight of ghee, and it turned out really muddy… Since I've never made shortbread before I didn't know hat a proper consistency might be; I tried cooking some this way, and it melted into a pool in the pan! I half-salvaged those by adding more buckwheat and baking again. I took the remaining dough and worked more buckwheat into it until it took on a better consistency (less sticky and doughy). Then it worked all right. However, I'm going to have to experiment more, since I think I cooked the second batch too long. They are supposed to sort of melt in your mouth without being too grainy, right?

Ghee differs from butter, in respect of weight, in that butter contains water, and ghee is pure fat. Hence, it is likely that the amount quoted above is different. I had a similar problem when I switched from organic buckwheat flour to ordinary - the weights were different. Trial and error is the way to go, to get a 'feel' for the consistency that works. Experimentation is the key! Cooking time is delicate, it is easy to overcook. And, yes, they are 'supposed to sort of melt in your mouth without being too grainy'.

I noticed that as I added the extra buckwheat incrementally, there was a point at which it became less sticky, and then it seemed to start getting sticky again. I was wondering, is that the spot to aim for? On one side it gets sticky from the fat, and on the other side it gets sticky from the buckwheat, and the less sticky consistency in between the two is what we should aim for? Or am I wrong?

If that is the point that works for you, go for it. :) It is a matter of experience that comes into play here when you know what works and what doesn't. Whilst 'dough' recipes give exact weights, it is at this stage that adjusting is required until you get it to the consistency that you want, to get the 'biscuit' to work. The 'getting sticky again' may be down to the dough warming up from handling it.

Also, out of curiosity, what will happen if you do cook it without chilling the ingredients? What does this step do?

See post above in reply to 3D Student. It will still work, however, the end result is less than good, buckwheat really needs to work with the moisture presented to it, as well as settling with the other ingredients. Or, at least that's my experience. :)

This recipe worked great for me the very first time. I am reposting it in case it has been lost in the shuffle...

Posted by: Trevrizent
Scottish, as opposed to ordinary, shortbread is made in one piece in a tin and cut into wedges after baking. I began experimenting with recipes (7th version given below) for this after feeling guilty about buying the gluten versions for my aged mother after each walking trip. They are a favourite afternoon snack for her.

Ingredients:
1 C Buckwheat flour
2tbsp plus 3tsp ground Arrowroot*
175g (6oz) cold cubed butter
100g (3 1/2oz) raw cane sugar / Xylitol / 50:50 (all work equally well, taste-wise)
1/2tsp salt
1tsp Baking Powder*

*Ground Arrowroot gives it a crunchier texture, and Baking Powder gives a softer, airier crumb.

Method:
Sift and mix the Buckwheat flour, ground Arrowroot, salt and Baking Powder.
Cream the butter and sugar.
Add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter/sugar mix, and mix well, using your hands to bring it together to form a ball of dough.
Knead together for about 1 minute.
Wrap in cling film and refrigerate/chill for 1 hr.

Preheat oven to 300F / 150C / Gas Mk 2
Dough may need reworking on taking out of fridge, if it is particularly hard.
Roll dough out to a thickness of 6mm (1/4in), flouring well (it needs lots)
Use the loose base of an 8in (20cm) loose-based sponge tin to cut rolled dough to size. Line rolled dough into the sponge tin. The dough handles well and feels solid. Using a palette knife mark out 8 or 12 wedges, and prick with a fork all over to reduce the amount of rise during baking.
There is sufficient dough left over to make other shapes to bake.
Bake for 12 minutes. Note: avoid over cooking, plus or minus 2 minutes makes a lot of difference – beware of burning at the edges.
Remove from oven and leave to cool for at least 1 hour before even thinking of touching it.
Use palette knife to re-cut wedge lines, and then lift out of sponge tin. Store in an airtight container.

My mother prefers this Gluten-free Scottish Shortbread to the Gluten variety; the shortbread is delightfully soft and moist, with a crunch.

Trevrizent said:

See post above in reply to 3D Student. It will still work, however, the end result is less than good, buckwheat really needs to work with the moisture presented to it, as well as settling with the other ingredients. Or, at least that's my experience. :)
Ah, that's what I needed to know. My biscuits didn't have any moisture! :lol: I'll experiment with water levels.

Trevrizent said:
Trial and error is the way to go, to get a 'feel' for the consistency that works. Experimentation is the key! Cooking time is delicate, it is easy to overcook. And, yes, they are 'supposed to sort of melt in your mouth without being too grainy'.
So the "sawdust-like" consistency I got is a clue that they've been overcooked? I suppose the lack of water may have something to do with it as well...

Trevrizent said:
The 'getting sticky again' may be down to the dough warming up from handling it.
I was mixing it in the bowl with a spoon, so no heat. I only handle it by hand once it stops sticking to the bowl. It's really neat; it just comes clean from the bowl after a certain ratio of buckwheat is reached. ;)

I forgot to mention that when I tried this recipe, I did freeze it. And ended up slicing it up and baking it and it turned out great. But it doesn't have be frozen, which is what Laura posted earlier on thread.

I tried this recipe recently and according to the texture I got I think I didn't use the proper amount of buckwheat flour. Could you tell me the mass in gr? How much is a cup for you?

Thank you in advance. Hope I'll do better the next time :)

Tisbe said:
I tried this recipe recently and according to the texture I got I think I didn't use the proper amount of buckwheat flour. Could you tell me the mass in gr? How much is a cup for you?

Thank you in advance. Hope I'll do better the next time :)

Depending on how finely it is milled, 1C is between 145 - 160grams.

This may help,or not.

Thanks for the shortbread recipe!

Tried it and it was delicious (I used 50 g sweetener and it was sufficient)!

ines said:
Thanks for the shortbread recipe!

Tried it and it was delicious (I used 50 g sweetener and it was sufficient)!

Just wanted to note that this recipe is several years old and a lot has been learned about the damaging effects of insulin spikes that come about from using these types of ingredients. You may want to check out the Ketogenic Diet thread and Maria Emmerich's book Keto-Adapted for more information.

Back
Top Bottom