Sepsis in pets: Marik protocol, vagus, and microbiota protection

Keit

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
There is a National Veterinary Conference going on right now in Moscow (well, online conference "thanks" to Covid), and they talked about sepsis treatment in pets, among other things. There are clear treatment protocols for sepsis, but these are more alternative/natural ideas that were mentioned.

Marik protocol was also mentioned in this thread. There is a critique of the study, since it wasn't replicated successfully in the randomized study (in humans). Here's the paper. But Marik says that in order for the protocol to have effect, it has to be administered together with the very first dose of antibiotic.

As you can see, right now there is a pretty good understanding that healthy microbiota plays a major role, and since sepsis treatments, and many other treatments disrupt the healthy bacteria population, so this should be taken into account. There was even one sepsis treatment paper described, where antibiotic treatment was temporarily discontinued in favor of fecal transplant, and with good results. The only caveat was, that prior to the transplant all the necessary testings were preformed.

And then there are also benefits of vagus nerve activation.

All in all, it isn't something particularly new, but was interesting to see that all these ideas are being practiced in veterinary medicine, and (finally) in Russia as well. And it is something to keep in mind in case your pets will ever have sepsis. But of course better never need this kind of information. ;-)

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Last edited:
Just one question-how do you activate vagus nerves in pets (specifically dogs) and will that help when there is a thunderstorm :)

At first I wanted to recommend a Thundershirt, as described in this thread, but then I see that you already have it. :-)

If the issue is fear of thunder or other loud noises, like fireworks, then actually during the same conference I heard some other neat ideas how to deal with it. Will post about it a bit later, when will have time.

As for the activation of the vagus nerve, in this case the idea was to do an electroacupuncture therapy. But there are also other techniques that you can try at home.

For example, massage.

Veterinary technicians can include certain techniques while assisting with gentle restraint; slow, up-and-down moderate pressure massage along the midline between the nose and forehead can sometimes induce a quasi-hypnotic state in patients.

Or gentle ocular compression. This can be used in dogs who have seizures, but not only. If the doggie is receptive, gentle pressing could be done as part of the general gentle stroking.

This clinical study found that ocular compression (OC) may be a useful aid for stimulating the vagus nerve to control seizures in dogs. The globe was intermittently compressed into the orbit, using digital pressure applied to the superior eyelid of one or both eyes for 10-60 seconds. Ocular compression was prescribed at 5 minute intervals, however, compression was also applied immediately when onset of facial twitches was detected.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information @Keit. I’ll give massage a go, as the thundershirt only works to a certain extent. Enjoy the rest of the conference :flowers:

Thanks for the information @Keit. I’ll give massage a go, as the thundershirt only works to a certain extent. Enjoy the rest of the conference :flowers:
There are certain parts of the body that through and with massage and reflexology, and other types of body work and therapies, stimulate the vagus.

Breath, posture, stillness and movement plus other factors and variables can affect how stimulated or soothed the vagus gets. They can be used to deepen or can get in the way of deeper vagus stimulatuon.

I don't see why this wouldn't apply to pets and our 2D friends. As above, so below.

Gonna check this out and get some comments from practitioners.

Thank you for sharing this, @Keit. Enjoy the rest of the conference.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom