Show #19: Physician, Heal Thyself: Disease And Modern Diet

Niall

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Sunday 9th June 2013: Physician, Heal Thyself: Disease And Modern Diet

Over a century ago, a 'scientific breakthrough' ushered in radical dietary changes that saw the US, and eventually most of the world, put on a low-fat diet. The discovery that high cholesterol levels were associated with coronary heart disease led to saturated fats, particularly animal fats, being singled out for elimination from meals. In theory, they told us, people will get less heart attacks and become healthier.

But what actually happened?

Rates of coronary heart disease rose to today's staggering levels. Some 75 million Americans currently suffer from heart disease, 20 million have diabetes and 57 million have pre-diabetes. Today, nearly half of all Americans can expect to get cancer at least once.

This week we're going to be talking with Dr. Dwight Lundell, who spent 25 years performing over 5,000 heart surgeries before realizing that the theory he believed in and promoted was not just wrong, it significantly contributed to the explosion of disease.

Join us this Sunday 9th of June from 2-4pm EST (7-9pm GMT) as we discuss how it all went wrong, and what people can do to reverse the damage.

That is great, very much looking forward to this show. :thup:

Interesting timing also, as i sent this article to my mother (and others) a good ten days ago as she is still on a light dose of Statin.

Looking forward to this. One of my colleagues at work just had a cyst discovered and its real frustrating and saddening when I know he is going along with the current advice form the establisment. :( I hope he gonna take my advice to at least stay of sugar. Dropping grains is just to bizzare for him.

The Sott talk is the highlight of the week. :)

Aquilla said:
Looking forward to this. One of my colleagues at work just had a cyst discovered and its real frustrating and saddening when I know he is going along with the current advice form the establisment. :( I hope he gonna take my advice to at least stay of sugar. Dropping grains is just to bizzare for him.

The Sott talk is the highlight of the week. :)

Looking forward to this too! I agree, Sott Talk sure makes Sundays more interesting.

voyageur said:
Interesting timing also, as i sent this article to my mother (and others) a good ten days ago as she is still on a light dose of Statin.
I just recently sent that classic article to my dad.

Dr. Dwight Lundell said:
When you spike your blood sugar level several times a day, every day, it is exactly like taking sandpaper to the inside of your delicate blood vessels.

Maybe it is relevant or not, a friend put this article in my wall.

_http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/lundell.html_

loreta said:

Thanks for that. Opposing views are valuable for what can be read around the text.

I like reading counter arguments because, aside from the facts of an issue, what matters to me is whether his work is didactic - preachy, moralistic, like a thinly disguised sermon and whether he hides counterarguments. Does he do this? If not, then he's worth listening to, I think, because of what a non-didactic approach implies: a flexible mind that easily shifts points of view. He can see the positive, the negative and shades of irony while looking for the truth of these views honestly and convincingly. That's what got me interested in this place and that's what just got me more interested in this show, so thanks for posting it. :)

Buddy said:
loreta said:

Thanks for that. Opposing views are valuable for what can be read around the text.

All I saw was ad hominems and nothing about the content of his book or his advice. I always find that rather odd - and tells me more about the person who wrote the 'skeptical look' than it does about Dr. Lundell.

anart said:
All I saw was ad hominems and nothing about the content of his book or his advice. I always find that rather odd - and tells me more about the person who wrote the 'skeptical look' than it does about Dr. Lundell.

Thanks for checking it out. I did too and agree. That presentation looks like an unfair caricature of someone who's evidently no more perfect than anyone else and has nothing to do with Lundell's recent work.

Interesting the risk people take that their double-standards won't be visible to others when they create a 'villian' story. When that writer makes a mistake he probably tells a 'victim' story about how his intentions were innocent and pure and that circumstances or other people kept him from doing the right thing and do it perfectly. But when someone else makes mistakes, that same writer will likely make a 'villain' story that attributes blame to his target's character, implying a bad doctor label and that he is, therefore, an untrustworthy human.

It tells me also about my friend. He is married with a doctor, by the way. ;) But yes, those critics are speaking for themselves, are talking about them more than anything else. But it is interesting to know how when you go against the concensus you are maltreated and denigrated. You know about this, evidently.

Our connection is not working, been trying different players, with no luck.

Hubby is telling me to try it again later tonight. Drat. :(

Back
Top Bottom