Sigur Ros video: what does it mean?

Z...

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I was just thinking how much has Hollywood and ponerized establishment taken from the film in general as an art medium.
IMHO the sole purpose of of art is to feed the soul.
All of the Sigur Ros mystery film experiment series is extraordinary but this short film has touched me so deeply, made me extremely sad to the point of crying and in the same time filled me with hope for humanity. So I had to share it...

https://youtu.be/KPBLTlLTFHA

Re: Food for soul

Well, it may be considered "artistic", but it was horribly depressing. I sure didn't need that on top of dealing with reality.

In that case please feel free to delete it, my last wish is to upset you the owner of this forum especially during your healing process ( or anyone else for that matter) .

It had really profound effect on me, in fact it filled my eyes with tears second time I watched it so it was very cathartic. But it didn't leave me with depressed feeling, quite contrary it had "contemplative" effect and left me feeling positive and optimistic. But it seems that's just me ;)

Z, I wouldn't dream of deleting it; others might also find it inspiring in some way. It just made me think of all the millions upon millions of hopeless people on the planet and throughout time, and the poor girl in her dreamworld carrying on in a dream...

Another thing is that, very often, "artists" project onto people things that just aren't there.

Having watched it, it strikes me that anything depressive nowadays in art/movies is usually seen as 'deep', 'beautiful' or 'inspiring.'

Maybe that's because many artists who explore the emotional landscape don't seem to have the proper tools to explore the human psyche in a healthy way. (Which isn't a easy task, especially in our world) And of course postmodernism's and their art movements are leading many of a cliff.

Though I'm not saying this video can be helpful to others in some ways. But to me, it just isn't my cup of thee. :)

I thought, if there is a message in there, what is it? So I made note of the narration.

I'm afraid of the blood running through the trees.

And the war that is about to begin.

Remember that this life is just an illusion.

If I could only move in and out of this non-existence to a space between places.

I am not afraid.

Don't be afraid Sara

Love everything.

Fear only brings death to the soul.

To me that could have been George Soros, and Hillary stumbling around. Asking themselves, 'If I could only move in and out of this non-existence to a space between places.

Other than that, I don't really see any coherent message in there. Very dramatic, and faux sad with an out of tune piano playing in the background. That is a very long list of credits at the end to produce all of that too.

Hello H2O said:
To me that could have been George Soros, and Hillary stumbling around. Asking themselves, 'If I could only move in and out of this non-existence to a space between places.
:umm: I am pretty sure likes of them never ask themselves anything especially that kind of questions.

I guess its the 'beauty is in the eyes of the beholder' kind of thing. Discussions about something as subjective as art are rarely productive and normally if someone is sharing something they like I try to follow "if you dont have anything nice to say stay silent" rule but that is not always easy especially if what is on display provokes strong negative emotions.

This short film spoke strongly to my emotional center ( that is why I called it "food for soul") but that doesn't mean that it is objectively a master piece.
I also subjectively experience Sigur Ros music as brilliant and otherworldly ( however not to be consumed in large doses) and I was very surprised that you could hear only "out of tune piano".
Overall it was kind of a shock that others had completely different reaction to it ( or perception of it), you basically reduced my 'food for soul" to a piece of crap :) . But that's fine - I guess the whole purpose of sharing is comparison in perception, that is always informative.

Laura said:
It just made me think of all the millions upon millions of hopeless people on the planet and throughout time, and the poor girl in her dreamworld carrying on in a dream...
Yes same here, this is why it moved me to tears, the stupidity and hopelessness of human condition. But also hope that it can be changed. For me that was the main message.

I also found it interesting that good artist can say so much in such a short film, while Hollywood blockbusters basically say nothing of substance in couple of hours.

Z said:
Laura said:
It just made me think of all the millions upon millions of hopeless people on the planet and throughout time, and the poor girl in her dreamworld carrying on in a dream...
Yes same here, this is why it moved me to tears, the stupidity and hopelessness of human condition. But also hope that it can be changed. For me that was the main message.

I also found it interesting that good artist can say so much in such a short film, while Hollywood blockbusters basically say nothing of substance in couple of hours.

I agree that the movie was depressing and I also can see how it describes the "stupidity and hopelessness of human condition". It didn't make me think of changing the human condition though. To me, the main message was a warning on almost a personal level. That if I'm not careful, if I don't pay attention and put the work in - I'll be the girl crying in a dream. So yeah, thank you for posting it Z! :)

Z said:
I guess its the 'beauty is in the eyes of the beholder' kind of thing. Discussions about something as subjective as art are rarely productive and normally if someone is sharing something they like I try to follow "if you dont have anything nice to say stay silent" rule but that is not always easy especially if what is on display provokes strong negative emotions.

This short film spoke strongly to my emotional center ( that is why I called it "food for soul") but that doesn't mean that it is objectively a master piece.

I also subjectively experience Sigur Ros music as brilliant and otherworldly ( however not to be consumed in large doses) and I was very surprised that you could hear only "out of tune piano".
Overall it was kind of a shock that others had completely different reaction to it ( or perception of it), you basically reduced my 'food for soul" to a piece of crap :) . But that's fine - I guess the whole purpose of sharing is comparison in perception, that is always informative.

Yes, it spoke strongly to my emotional center too, just in a negative way. Like an overdose of suffering that made the gorge rise in my throat.

But consider: I saw the subject heading, was feeling a bit down from working the social media as I describe here: https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,44665.msg731441.html#msg731441 and thought, "yes, I need a lift". But boy, that was not what I got. I got more of the same-old of the poor suffering people I see in droves on social media. Many of them live in despair, have to construct dream worlds to survive, go on reproducing because they don't realize they are food for the moon, etc.

So, when you label something "food for the soul", precisely what do you mean? Wouldn't it have been more externally considerate to label the thread "A short film by so and so" and just leave it at that. That way, there would be no expectations on the part of anyone who checked it out. The discussion might have been quite different.

As an interesting sidelight of this, I've been reading Collingwood's "Speculum Mentis" which has an extensive discussion of Art and Aesthetics as a "path to truth" which involves such issues as "what is ART really?" and what is Aesthetic appreciation, and so on. I highly recommend it; it's full of deep and subtle insights.

One thing he notes is that "art appreciation" is pretty much based on what is inside the person who is doing the appreciating, more or less. He also points out that strong emotions that are believed to be due to the "emanations" of the art work, only occur in someone who is weak in those emotions and needs the art to help manifest them. So, that's something to think about.

The first reaction I experienced when viewing the video was one of depression. The ballerina girl looked like she was a ghost, an earthbound spirit trapped in-between worlds endlessly repeating some kind of traumatic experience that she was enslaved by, within her own mind, like she was caught in some kind of automatic dream loop or trapped in some kind of recurrent dream without consciousness and sensitivity of which she could never escape. So right there it made me depressed. The music was even more depressing! So the music just enhanced the affect. I felt the depression all the way thru and could not understand it not even from a (subjective) meaningful or symbolic level. I then read some of the comments from the viewers hoping that they would explain it but all I got is that it was 'beautiful," "emotional", it's all "about love" and so on. Actually, imo it was all about 'feeling' as if intense feeling (in this case depression) was indicative of deeper meaning. But no one could explain it, even at a purely subjective 'meaningful' level.

I think what this video lacked was 'common sense' that is, a sense of reality to it that is common to thinking, feeling, and organic instinct which includes the higher realities of spiritual creative inspiration, symbology, and psychological dynamics where everything is interconnected and rightly fits together so as to express meaning and understanding at several levels of reality simultaneously. 'Higher' does not mean better or superior since all levels of reality are equally necessary to convey deeper understanding. They just must fit together 'rightly.' Imo, it especially lacked the 'down to earth' touch to it which left it ungrounded in this everyday mundane reality so I just could not relate to it. It sorta just kind of floated in some hopeless netherworld without meaning or inspiration which made me even more depressed!

Laura said:
As an interesting sidelight of this, I've been reading Collingwood's "Speculum Mentis" which has an extensive discussion of Art and Aesthetics as a "path to truth" which involves such issues as "what is ART really?" and what is Aesthetic appreciation, and so on. I highly recommend it; it's full of deep and subtle insights.
Thank you for the suggestion I will definitely check it out.
Laura said:
One thing he notes is that "art appreciation" is pretty much based on what is inside the person who is doing the appreciating, more or less. He also points out that strong emotions that are believed to be due to the "emanations" of the art work, only occur in someone who is weak in those emotions and needs the art to help manifest them. So, that's something to think about.
Definitely. In fact i did give this particular case a lot of thought. It doesn't happen very often that I have such a strong emotional reaction to a film or music. I think I might have an idea which button has this film pushed.

Laura said:
So, when you label something "food for the soul", precisely what do you mean? Wouldn't it have been more externally considerate to label the thread "A short film by so and so" and just leave it at that. That way, there would be no expectations on the part of anyone who checked it out. The discussion might have been quite different.

Agreed.

I got one positive thing out of this short movie, the words "Love everything, fear only brings death to the soul." It didn't touch me at all otherwise, even though I easily get moved to tears by other 'emotionally centered' content. I actually got impatient waiting for the climax which didn't come. Honestly I can't find out the message that the creators wanted to convey.

I guess resonance depends on what is inside of the viewer, as Laura said.

Laura said:
Z, I wouldn't dream of deleting it; others might also find it inspiring in some way. It just made me think of all the millions upon millions of hopeless people on the planet and throughout time, and the poor girl in her dreamworld carrying on in a dream...

Another thing is that, very often, "artists" project onto people things that just aren't there.

I got some of this too, a reminder of an everlasting dream to escape the suffering of the world.

Laura said:
Yes, it spoke strongly to my emotional center too, just in a negative way. Like an overdose of suffering that made the gorge rise in my throat.

But consider: I saw the subject heading, was feeling a bit down from working the social media as I describe here: https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,44665.msg731441.html#msg731441 and thought, "yes, I need a lift". But boy, that was not what I got. I got more of the same-old of the poor suffering people I see in droves on social media. Many of them live in despair, have to construct dream worlds to survive, go on reproducing because they don't realize they are food for the moon, etc.

That's seems like a very interesting read Laura. My default thinking on art was that it's based on the perceiver's mental/emotional make up, not that this idea has much research behind it, but this makes me wonder how/if one's perception of art changes with the advancement of the work. And as you awaken/work with your emotional center do you become more sensitive to emotionally heavy "art" or all emotional ranges. Indeed something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom