[Sinkholes] creating a google map pinpointing all of them for 2012.

angelburst29

The Living Force
Jan. 2, 2013 Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

http://www.wgal.com/news/susquehanna-valley/dauphin/Crews-continue-to-repair-Harrisburg-sinkholes/-/9704162/17976456/-/s8alwz/-/index.html

Three sinkholes opened up along North Fourth Street in Harrisburg, Pa.

The first sinkhole along Fourth Street opened Monday morning when a 6-ton city garbage truck fell partially into it. City officials said the hole was caused by soil erosion beneath the street due to a damaged water pipe connection.

City officials said a second hole opened about 11 p.m. Monday, resulting in the loss of water, gas and sewer service to the neighborhood

........ Interactive Map of current 29 Sinkholes in Harrisburg, Pa.
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/01/interactive_map_of_the_harrisb.html

Jan. 15, 2013 Hunan Province, China

Village of Lianyuan in southern China's Hunan Province suffers over 20 sinkholes in 5 months.

http://beforeitsnews.com/strange/2013/01/village-suffers-over-20-sinkholes-in-five-months-2446582.html


Jan. 23, 2013 Oxford, Alabama

http://calhouncounty.myfoxal.com/news/news/127062-sinkhole-appears-near-new-oxford-publix-store

A sinkhole is not expected to delay the opening of the new Publix store in Oxford.

The sinkhole appeared this week on the grounds of a retail development called "Oxford Commons," located on Leon Smith Parkway at I-20.

The site was once part of the old antebellum "Davis Farm" and archaeologists say it was a Native American village before that.

Jan. 24, 2013 DeLand, Florida

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Large-sinkhole-swallows-tree-near-DeLand-home/-/1637132/18263664/-/u498iv/-/index.html

Officials are investigating a "good-sized" sinkhole in DeLand that has swallowed a large tree and a portion of a fence.

The Volusia County Sheriff's Office said the sinkhole opened near Mill Road and State Road 17. Officials estimated the hole to be 32 feet and 30 feet deep.

........ Map of known sinkholes in the state of Florida
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/realtime/2013/01/14/sinkholes-as-if-you-dont-have-enough-to-worry-about/

Here’s a map provided with permission from floodinsights.com that is said to show “known sinkholes.” It’s provided by a service that charges a fee (one search is $9.95) to provide information about your particular home’s proximity to flood zones and sinkholes.
 

Muxel

Dagobah Resident
angelburst29 said:
Jan. 2, 2013 Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

http://www.wgal.com/news/susquehanna-valley/dauphin/Crews-continue-to-repair-Harrisburg-sinkholes/-/9704162/17976456/-/s8alwz/-/index.html

Three sinkholes opened up along North Fourth Street in Harrisburg, Pa.

The first sinkhole along Fourth Street opened Monday morning when a 6-ton city garbage truck fell partially into it. City officials said the hole was caused by soil erosion beneath the street due to a damaged water pipe connection.

City officials said a second hole opened about 11 p.m. Monday, resulting in the loss of water, gas and sewer service to the neighborhood
Added.

angelburst29 said:
........ Interactive Map of current 29 Sinkholes in Harrisburg, Pa.
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/01/interactive_map_of_the_harrisb.html
Combined map with ours.

angelburst29 said:
Jan. 15, 2013 Hunan Province, China

Village of Lianyuan in southern China's Hunan Province suffers over 20 sinkholes in 5 months.

http://beforeitsnews.com/strange/2013/01/village-suffers-over-20-sinkholes-in-five-months-2446582.html
Already added before.

angelburst29 said:
Jan. 23, 2013 Oxford, Alabama

http://calhouncounty.myfoxal.com/news/news/127062-sinkhole-appears-near-new-oxford-publix-store

A sinkhole is not expected to delay the opening of the new Publix store in Oxford.

The sinkhole appeared this week on the grounds of a retail development called "Oxford Commons," located on Leon Smith Parkway at I-20.

The site was once part of the old antebellum "Davis Farm" and archaeologists say it was a Native American village before that.
Added.

angelburst29 said:
Jan. 24, 2013 DeLand, Florida

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Large-sinkhole-swallows-tree-near-DeLand-home/-/1637132/18263664/-/u498iv/-/index.html

Officials are investigating a "good-sized" sinkhole in DeLand that has swallowed a large tree and a portion of a fence.

The Volusia County Sheriff's Office said the sinkhole opened near Mill Road and State Road 17. Officials estimated the hole to be 32 feet and 30 feet deep.
Added.

angelburst29 said:
........ Map of known sinkholes in the state of Florida
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/realtime/2013/01/14/sinkholes-as-if-you-dont-have-enough-to-worry-about/

Here’s a map provided with permission from floodinsights.com that is said to show “known sinkholes.” It’s provided by a service that charges a fee (one search is $9.95) to provide information about your particular home’s proximity to flood zones and sinkholes.
Can't really add this, but thanks.
 

irjO

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I think in south america and africa there is not going to be that much news about sinkholes cuz there is a lot of country areas and if one of them appears in a city people would think is negligence from the government about the quality of the construction or whatever (negligence on infrastructure is common in third world countries) unless a huge sinkhole appears like the one from Honduras, then it could be reported!
 

MK Scarlett

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
irjO said:
I think in south america and africa there is not going to be that much news about sinkholes cuz there is a lot of country areas and if one of them appears in a city people would think is negligence from the government about the quality of the construction or whatever (negligence on infrastructure is common in third world countries) unless a huge sinkhole appears like the one from Honduras, then it could be reported!

I do agree with that, I had the same thoughts on yesterday.
So, it must have many others "events" as sinkhole which are not repertoried in any medias.
 

angelburst29

The Living Force
January 30, 2013 Birmingham, Alabama

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/01/massive_sinkhole_at_birmingham.html

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- Construction at Birmingham's $64 million baseball stadium is hampered with a recent discovery of a massive sinkhole at the entrance to the sports facility. City officials said the sinkhole, which was at least 100-feet deep, is repaired but forces the relocation of sewer lines at the site. The sinkhole was at the ballpark's plaza entryway on15th Street and 3rd Avenue.
 

Savitri CRO

Jedi Master
http://danas.net.hr/crna-kronika/urusilo-se-tlo-vatrogasci-u-rupi-od-10-metara-pronasli-tijelo

Another (second, this year) one today in Croatia, Selnica, Međimurje county... It opened up on a meddow, 100 meters near houses...
it's 1 meter wide and 10 meters deep... and the police found a dead guy at the bottom.... :O not nice at all
 
D

Deleted member 8431

Guest
Bonjour Kios mon ami, (Hi Kios my friend,)

I hope everything goes well for you with the job etc. I know what it is. This system just won't give up on us eh? ;)

Anyhow, you have done a fantastic job with this map. I remember it being posted for the first time last year and boy, I can't beleive how things have changed in just about that time.

Take great care buddy! :hug2:

Peace.
 

Yozilla

The Living Force
Another hole in Dalmatia and this is a BIG one - village Čupići, near town of Drniš! 100 m deep, 50-70 m in diameter... :O

_http://www.24sata.hr/sokantno/kod-drnisa-se-otvorila-zemlja-stanovnistvo-u-strahu-od-rupe-303810
 

Gaby

SuperModerator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
Yozilla said:
Another hole in Dalmatia and this is a BIG one - village Čupići, near town of Drniš! 100 m deep, 50-70 m in diameter... :O

_http://www.24sata.hr/sokantno/kod-drnisa-se-otvorila-zemlja-stanovnistvo-u-strahu-od-rupe-303810

That looks huge!
 

Yozilla

The Living Force
Yes it is... and this is limestone karst terrain with many known caves and (i guess) much more undiscovered ones - so it will be interesting if anything more of this kind is going to happen...
 

Muxel

Dagobah Resident
angelburst29 said:
January 30, 2013 Birmingham, Alabama

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/01/massive_sinkhole_at_birmingham.html

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- Construction at Birmingham's $64 million baseball stadium is hampered with a recent discovery of a massive sinkhole at the entrance to the sports facility. City officials said the sinkhole, which was at least 100-feet deep, is repaired but forces the relocation of sewer lines at the site. The sinkhole was at the ballpark's plaza entryway on15th Street and 3rd Avenue.
Added.

Savitri C said:
http://danas.net.hr/crna-kronika/urusilo-se-tlo-vatrogasci-u-rupi-od-10-metara-pronasli-tijelo

Another (second, this year) one today in Croatia, Selnica, Međimurje county... It opened up on a meddow, 100 meters near houses...
it's 1 meter wide and 10 meters deep... and the police found a dead guy at the bottom.... :O not nice at all
Added.

Yozilla said:
Another hole in Dalmatia and this is a BIG one - village Čupići, near town of Drniš! 100 m deep, 50-70 m in diameter... :O

_http://www.24sata.hr/sokantno/kod-drnisa-se-otvorila-zemlja-stanovnistvo-u-strahu-od-rupe-303810
Added.
 

Yozilla

The Living Force
Thx Muxel! :thup:

In today's newspapers there is a story that all over area where this hole emerged there are mining tunnels on few levels (correct 6 - and that 6th is always under water). In this mine the bauxite ore has been dug some 30+ years ago... So maybe they are covering up, so people could buy that this is logical - not something to worry about...
 

Muxel

Dagobah Resident
I think they're not entirely wrong to explain it by burst underground water mains, karst, old mines, heavy rains, etc. Because if the earth is opening up, the places with these structural weaknesses will be the first to "give way" (collapse).
 
Top Bottom