So I went to Moscow.. from the US...

So, my friend in Moscow has been bugging me to get a visitor visa since we met last February, and I have been wanting to visit for a few years now. I applied right before Feb 24 and still got approved afterwards. Flew Air Serbia to Moscow and stayed for a week, right down the street from the Kremlin. No one at the airport bothered me about being from the US and I went through security/customs without incident - everything was handled with professionalism.

Stayed right down the street from the Kremlin - did the whole tourist thing and visited all the museums and restaurants I could handle. I mostly stayed in the city center for a week.

-People in public seem calm. People in regular jobs at restaurants, ice cream stands, etc - I noticed these people carried themselves with some noticeable level of dignity - I don't get this sense from many of the same kind of workers in the US.
-Food and ingredients are much better than in the US. Went to two markets and they were packed to the gills with food.
-The city center architecture is beautiful - You just kind of sit and stare, taking it in - it brings a sense of calmness and appreciation for the combination of engineering and artistic beauty.
-Many of the younger generation know English, and appeared attentive and sharp. That was my impression, at least.

IMG_2086.JPG

IMG_2082.JPGIMG_2078.JPGIMG_2076.JPG

IMG_2102.JPGIMG_2117.JPG

As we usually say, thank you for the kind word. Still, it's somewhat funny for me, as a Russian, to read something like this. We have been trying so hard for the last 30-odd years to become like you, and I must say we have done a lot, both necessary and not at all necessary, but there is some surprise in such notes. As if I were considering Australian aborigines, unknown inhabitants of the Amazon jungle or your Indians in feathers. In short, no matter how hard we tried, we still remained some kind of "aborigines" for you.

Как у нас говорят, спасибо на добром слове. Все таки мне, как русскому несколько смешно читать подобное. Мы последние 30 с лишним лет так старались сделаться похожими на вас, и многое надо сказать сделали, и нужного и совсем не нужного, однако в подобных заметках просматривается некое удивление что ли. Как если бы я рассматривал австралийских аборигенов, неведомых жителей амазонской сельвы или ваших индейцев в перьях. Короче как мы ни старались, все равно остались для вас какими то "аборигенами".

As we usually say, thank you for the kind word. Still, it's somewhat funny for me, as a Russian, to read something like this. We have been trying so hard for the last 30-odd years to become like you, and I must say we have done a lot, both necessary and not at all necessary, but there is some surprise in such notes. As if I were considering Australian aborigines, unknown inhabitants of the Amazon jungle or your Indians in feathers. In short, no matter how hard we tried, we still remained some kind of "aborigines" for you.

Как у нас говорят, спасибо на добром слове. Все таки мне, как русскому несколько смешно читать подобное. Мы последние 30 с лишним лет так старались сделаться похожими на вас, и многое надо сказать сделали, и нужного и совсем не нужного, однако в подобных заметках просматривается некое удивление что ли. Как если бы я рассматривал австралийских аборигенов, неведомых жителей амазонской сельвы или ваших индейцев в перьях. Короче как мы ни старались, все равно остались для вас какими то "аборигенами".

For what it’s worth, youlik, I didn’t get anything like this impression from the post of SubnetUnMask. When he was describing the Russian people, it wasn’t with a sense of surprise. It was just with a sense of happiness.

I was surprised though by what you said about the Russian people trying hard for many years to be accepted socio-culturally by the rest of the western world. My impression of the Russian people is very strong and independent and built on your own historical foundations. But I feel like I’m missing the context of the important period of time from the end of the soviet years, and the first years when Putin took over the government.

Do you feel that this long period of trying to be accepted by westerners has coloured your interpretation of what SubnetUnMask wrote? Not to hi-jack this thread, but I would certainly be interested to hear more about your own experience of being Russian and how you feel your country stands in relation to the rest of the western world. Maybe you could start your own thread about it, if you felt inclined to do so. I’m sure I’m not the only member here who would be interested to hear it.

No, I wasn't surprised by these characteristics of the Russian people, I was happy to be around them and found myself at ease - it was a noticeable change to what I'm used to here in America - this is why I pointed it out.

For what it’s worth, youlik, I didn’t get anything like this impression from the post of SubnetUnMask. When he was describing the Russian people, it wasn’t with a sense of surprise. It was just with a sense of happiness.
Yeah, same here, and from a certain point of view, most people that live in places I haven't visited remain unknown to me.

And it's part of getting acquainted with their immediate world, to compare it against the one I grew up in. It's normal, we all need a point of reference in order to add the new places into the world we inhabit.

If you were to go to South America, you'd probably make similar remarks about the people you meet on the street, not as aborigines, but simply as people unknown to you. And that's normal.

Now, SubnetUnMask, thanks so much for sharing the pictures, I've always wanted to go to Moscow, and St Petersburg.

But are you sure you weren't secretly tortured personally by Vladimir Putin? shirtless while riding a bear? That's exactly what the news would expect me to believe happens in Russia every day. :P

So, my friend in Moscow has been bugging me to get a visitor visa since we met last February, and I have been wanting to visit for a few years now. I applied right before Feb 24 and still got approved afterwards. Flew Air Serbia to Moscow and stayed for a week, right down the street from the Kremlin. No one at the airport bothered me about being from the US and I went through security/customs without incident - everything was handled with professionalism.
Sounds and looks wonderful. I, personally, would love to live in St Petersburg.:-)

Fantastic pictures!
How lucky for you to have walked on Tolstoy's land! I've always wanted to go to Russia, ever since I was young. My knowledge of Russians is romantic, and this one comes from Russian cinema and literature, that is to say from art, and it may be totally out of reality, but nevertheless I have a great respect for the Russians, their way of conducting politics, too.

Thank you for sharing your journey and your view of the Russians you met.

Lovely pictures! I’m glad you had no trouble flying in from the US and getting through Customs at the airport. Looks like you had nice weather while you visited and a great spot to stay right across from the Kremlin. I hope you were able to visit some of the subway stations- they are works of art! Thank you for sharing :flowers:

No, I wasn't surprised by these characteristics of the Russian people, I was happy to be around them and found myself at ease - it was a noticeable change to what I'm used to here in America - this is why I pointed it out.

And again, thanks for the kind word. In this case, I am sincerely glad that I was wrong. T.C. made a very good offer, but unfortunately I don't feel that I have sufficient abilities. There is too much to say and I want to say, but it is very important to do it in a balanced way so as to distort the picture as little as possible. In order not to flood in someone else's branch, I would like to touch on just one important point here. It concerns those who decide to follow you. Guys, when planning a trip to Russia, do not limit yourself to Moscow and St. Petersburg. Try to visit small regional towns. There is also enough history and ancient architecture there in many places, but the people there are completely different. I assure you that the degree of openness, attention to each other, willingness to help in any situation without additional requests will amaze you. To put it pathetically, Moscow and St. Petersburg are the face of the country, a very beautiful face, but the soul of this country, this people is there, in the outback.

И опять же, спасибо на добром слове. В данном случае я искренне рад, что ошибся. Очень хорошее предложение сделал Т.С., но я к сожалению не чувствую в себе достаточных способностей. Слишком многое нужно и хочется сказать, однако очень важно сделать это как то сбалансированно, чтобы как можно меньше исказить картину. Чтобы не флудить в чужой ветке, всего один важный момент я хотел бы затронуть здесь. Касается он тех, кто решит последовать за Вами. Ребята, планируя поездку в Россию, не ограничивайтесь Москвой и Санкт-Петербургом. Старайтесь посетить небольшие районные городки. Истории и древней архитектуры там во многих местах тоже хватает, но люди там совершенно другие. Я уверяю вас, что степень душевной открытости, внимания друг к другу, готовности помочь в любой ситуации без дополнительных просьб поразит вас. Если выражаться пафосно, то Москва и Питер это лицо страны, очень красивое лицо, но душа этой страны, этого народа там, в глубинке.

Last edited:
And again, thanks for the kind word. In this case, I am sincerely glad that I was wrong. T.S. made a very good offer, but unfortunately I don't feel that I have sufficient abilities. There is too much to say and I want to say, but it is very important to do it in a balanced way so as to distort the picture as little as possible. In order not to flood in someone else's branch, I would like to touch on just one important point here. It concerns those who decide to follow you. Guys, when planning a trip to Russia, do not limit yourself to Moscow and St. Petersburg. Try to visit small regional towns. There is also enough history and ancient architecture there in many places, but the people there are completely different. I assure you that the degree of openness, attention to each other, willingness to help in any situation without additional requests will amaze you. To put it pathetically, Moscow and St. Petersburg are the face of the country, a very beautiful face, but the soul of this country, this people is there, in the outback.

И опять же, спасибо на добром слове. В данном случае я искренне рад, что ошибся. Очень хорошее предложение сделал Т.С., но я к сожалению не чувствую в себе достаточных способностей. Слишком многое нужно и хочется сказать, однако очень важно сделать это как то сбалансированно, чтобы как можно меньше исказить картину. Чтобы не флудить в чужой ветке, всего один важный момент я хотел бы затронуть здесь. Касается он тех, кто решит последовать за Вами. Ребята, планируя поездку в Россию, не ограничивайтесь Москвой и Санкт-Петербургом. Старайтесь посетить небольшие районные городки. Истории и древней архитектуры там во многих местах тоже хватает, но люди там совершенно другие. Я уверяю вас, что степень душевной открытости, внимания друг к другу, готовности помочь в любой ситуации без дополнительных просьб поразит вас. Если выражаться пафосно, то Москва и Питер это лицо страны, очень красивое лицо, но душа этой страны, этого народа там, в глубинке.
I guess this happens everywhere.

Big cities are one side of the coin and the countryside are the other.

At least this is my experience in Spain.

Fortunately, there are nice people in both sides.

Thank you for sharing your experience, @SubnetUnMask !

Merci de nous permettre de voyager avec Vous, la RUSSIE, c'est un rêve pour moi, je n'irai jamais, trop handicapée mais mille mercis pour ces magnifiques photos qui donnent vraiment envie d'y aller...

Thank you for allowing us to travel with you, RUSSIA is a dream for me, I will never go, too handicapped but a thousand thanks for these beautiful photos that really make you want to go ...

Back
Top Bottom