SOTT Background colour

Russ

Jedi Master
I'm wondering, what are peoples opinion on the background colour of SOTT? I know that some people have mentioned they get tired when reading long articles, maybe it has to do with having a white background, as it can be quite bright on some monitors? I use light blue (code D3E4F8) in my windows settings, which works on the SOTT site because the bgcolor isn't defined, which is useful. Light blue seems to be a nice colour for the eyes, and allows enough contrast with most text.

So... two things really - if you decide to define the background colour, please could you hold a poll or something (or just post something), just to see if it will affect people, and the other thing is, does anyone think that the background colour of SOTT could be changed to a more eye friendly colour in the future, or am I just being pedantic? :)

Black text on a white backbround isn't generally a good idea because a monitor is not the same as paper. Paper works white because it reflects light, a lot of white on a monitor is like looking into a lightbulb. Personally I wouldn't mind a color scheme that is White text/black background like the older SOTT sites were, its easier on the eyes.

I'm using the "radium" colour scheme for the forums at the moment, it can be found under profile -> display. I find it a lot easier on the eye than the default colour scheme.

I personally use radium as well, I am very fond of this posting board system, which is why I chose it, the Sign's server is a little clunky so something like vBulletin, or even phpBB would not work well, this board software flys compared to any other, and I like the stock styles that it comes with.

I am very much a minimalist and don't like to bombard people with color. I also spend alot of time thinking about color, and using color theory to come up with an effect that I want to communicate, if even subconciously.

The current signs page is White, which is the element metal, Dynamic, clean and refined, overlayed with green, element wood and holds the property of Growth and Expansion, Red is Fire, Joy and Radiation. Often we don't think of these things on the surface level, but it's my own personal 'color voodoo' to make the signs page 'come alive' without being offensive.

Some people don't like it, but alot of people do.

I don't plan on ever forcing a background color, though I have given thought to allowing people to create and use a css file on their home machine, I have begun testing such a thing out, and wonder how well it will work, there is also a theme choice planned, where you can choose certain predefined flavors, for which I will certainly be asking our budding community to submit color themes.

Those who may want to participate, might want to look into CSS and how to use it, this is all very 'in the future' which is open, and we will see.

atreides said:
I personally use radium as well, I am very fond of this posting board system, which is why I chose it, the Sign's server is a little clunky so something like vBulletin, or even phpBB would not work well, this board software flys compared to any other, and I like the stock styles that it comes with.
Yep. I used to chat on a music-related board (since closed) that ran the same software, so it had a cool "deja vu" feel when I first logged in. Nice choice!

I'm using "Mercury" myself. Funny how there's at least two "alchemical" metals in that list of options. ;)

And a substance used to treat shizophrenia...

I have since switched to cobalt, and am working on a easier on the eyes theme...

yes, cobalt is much better. i like the dark backgrounds cuz the white one is like looking into headlights. i even turned down the brightness of my monitor but still too bright. and i see the default settings are cobalt now. very inviting...

atreides said:
I don't plan on ever forcing a background color, though I have given thought to allowing people to create and use a css file on their home machine, I have begun testing such a thing out, and wonder how well it will work, there is also a theme choice planned, where you can choose certain predefined flavors, for which I will certainly be asking our budding community to submit color themes.

Those who may want to participate, might want to look into CSS and how to use it, this is all very 'in the future' which is open, and we will see.
This is a hoot!
I actually logged in to post a reply to some people that didn't like the dashed lines, etc and tell them they should just write their own stylesheet and load it via IE or Firefox developer toolbar or through the use of a favelet (see http://tantek.com/favelets/ or http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/tools/favelets/).

You beat me to it ;-) Do I sense some co-linearity?

The idea I was also going to suggest was to have a "stylesheet design challenge" and select a top three. All good fun and you can count on my contribution.

Dev toolbars:

IE:
--
http://www.visionaustralia.org.au/ais/toolbar/

Firefox/Mozilla:
-----------------
http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/

Cheers,

Dominique.

Back
Top Bottom