"soy sauce"

KJN

Jedi Council Member
FOTCM Member
Hey there...for all of us who have sorely missed the great and tangy-salty Chinese flavor of Soy Sauce, I created this sub without actual soy:

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (white or brown)
1/2 cup dark molasses
1/2 t ground ginger
2 pinches pepper
1 t garlic powder
1/2 cup cocoa aminos
1/2 cup fish sauce
1 t salt

Mix all the above into a pot, heat and stir for about 5 minutes. It will thicken as it cools. You can then thin with water if necessary.

This recipe makes about 2 cups - so you can use some and store the rest in the refrigerator. It can be added as you would a soy sauce to any other combo to make marinades, etc.

I love soy sauce! I actually buy this coconut amino that is just coconut sap and salt and really taste exactly like soy sauce. The only down side I find is that it's not very heat resistant. You try to stir fry with it and the flavor will evaporate but if you add it afterward it works just as good.

I might just give your recipe a try :)

I hate to rain on your parade, but the only objections I'd have to this from a keto/paleo perspective is that molasses is basically rendered sugar. That, and balsamic vinegar has yeast in it, which may be a concern for certain diets. It does sound delicious though, perhaps as an alternative one could use gelatin for consistency and stevia or xylitol for sweetener?

Jonathan said:
I hate to rain on your parade, but the only objections I'd have to this from a keto/paleo perspective is that molasses is basically rendered sugar. That, and balsamic vinegar has yeast in it, which may be a concern for certain diets. It does sound delicious though, perhaps as an alternative one could use gelatin for consistency and stevia or xylitol for sweetener?

Yeah, the sweet aspect... We have peeps that are sensitive to xyla and won't do stevia at all. I'd say try any substitute that works for you. There are alternatives to everything...just finding the right ones. The other sweetener that works is made from coconut.

Back
Top Bottom