Spiritual Astrology and the Bible

Merlin

Jedi Master
Once again, I'll try not to swamp everyone with my two bits worth of archaeo-astronomy, but yes Laura, you've got it right - myths re-occur 'coz they're tales of what occurs in the sky. . . Talking of Jacob here, I'll insert some stuff from my text-book Course Number 7 on Spriritual Astrology :- (for those who arent in the know - Ophiuchus is the Serpent Holder - The sign is much more ancient though . . . Gavin White writes on Pg 174 in 'Babylonian Starlore' (Jun 2007) that Ophiuchus was earlier the sacred constellation of The Holy Mountain - An ancient constellation with its peak in the heavens and its foundations in the underworld. Probably the writer of Genesis 32 knew much more than he cared to reveal. )

Extract from Spiritual Astrology, by CC Zain, Amazon.com ISBN 0878873775
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Man With Whom Jacob Wrestled
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
— When the ancient wise ones traced the spiritual teachings regarding the sex-decanate of the sex-sign Scorpio in the sky, they selected a man, Ophiuchus, and represented him as engaged in a life-or-death struggle with Serpens, symbol of that energy generated through the union of polar opposites, which pictures the marriage-decanate of the marriage-sign Libra. Thus intimately united in the sky, an interlocking and inseparable pair, are pictured sex and marriage.

As furnishing energy which can be used not merely to satisfy the urge of sex, but also to secure significance, which in human life becomes self-esteem, and to secure food and other advantages, the reproductive drive is of great importance in the life of every human being. So important is it that the ills resulting from its suppression have given rise to a whole literature. The Freudian doctrines of the unconscious mind and the practices of psychoanalysis revolve almost entirely around the struggle of man to adjust himself to the demands of sex.
While not the only struggle man is called upon to make—for does not Orion engage his environment in mortal combat?—yet the proper conditioning of his sexual impulses is so important a matter to every living person, that the ancients felt the need of picturing it in association with the sex-decanate of the sex-sign, where the Sun may be found from October 23 to November 2.

Ophiuchus wrestles with the generative snake.
Not always are we fortunate enough to possess a story from the ancient times which reveals the triumph over difficulty, and another which as well imparts the cause and result of defeat. But relating to Ophiuchus we have both, one a story from the Bible
, and another a legend from the Greeks.
Genesis 32, relates that Jacob, after sending his wives and sons over a brook was left alone: "And there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of day. And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint as he wrestled with him."
Ophiuchus does not wrestle with a man, but with the serpent of generation; and in all the old star atlases he is pictured as somewhat crippled in the struggle, his thigh being out of joint.
The thigh is ruled by Sagittarius, the sign of religion, one decanate of which is pictured by an eagle, indicating the sublimation of sex energy. Thus, as the story is told, we are led to infer that there was a maladjustment due to religious views. But to go on with the Bible story:
"And he said, let me go for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me. And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said Jacob. And he said, thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.
"And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there.
"And Jacob called the name of the place Penial: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved. And as he passed over Penial the sun rose high upon him, and he halted upon his thigh. Therefore the children of Israel eat not of the sinew which shrank, which is upon the hollow of the thigh, unto this day: because he touched the hollow of Jacob's thigh in the sinew which shrank."
The only man in the sky who wrestles is Ophiuchus, and he is likewise the only man among the stars whose thigh is shown to be out of joint. It is the creative energy with which he struggles.
------------------------------------------
Is this why the Bulls Thigh is not found on the dinner table in Israel ;)

Back
Top Bottom