Star Trek Discovery

genero81

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Great series, maybe the best Star Trek series yet. I liked season one enough that I was on it for the first episode of season two which aired tonight. It did not disappoint! If you like Sci Fi you definitely want to check this one out. There is a little of the current cultural influence in there but it doesn't detract too much. You really can't get away from it these days. :rolleyes:

Really?! Better than TNG and DS9? :cuckoo: Even though I've never seen it and probably shouldn't judge it before actually having watched an episode, I've heard some pretty bad reviews and assessments from people who have seen it. Your the first person that I've come across to give it a glowing review. A while back @Keit recommended The Orville, and after watching the first several episodes find it's continuing the spirit of Star Trek. They even have Brannon Braga as one of the exec. producers and Jonathan Frakes directed some of the episodes!

I enjoyed the last season it's less cheezy than the old ones IMO. Never really was and Trek fan more of a Star Wars guy but I need my scifi doze ! I find the last Star Trek very good although yes they had to throw some pc stuff in there.

All the reviews I've seen so far say that's it's inundated with SJW identity politics, like this one:

It's the biggest reason I've stayed away. I did enjoy the Orville though, although it was kinda juvenile and silly, so I may not stick with it. The closest thing I've found recently to an interesting and deep sci-fi was "The Expanse".

Yes, to be honest the first episode of the first season of Discovery started out with me wondering if I would make it through the whole episode. The entire first season was 15 episodes long. I would say it definitely got better as it went along. There was however, one 'time loop' episode that was cliche and could have been omitted. Anyway, I liked it well enough that I kept coming back for more night after night. (All of the episodes were available on CBS All Access by the time I 'discovered' it. But still, I wouldn't have mentioned it if it wasn't for the first episode of season two, which I thought was as good, if not better than a lot of movies as of late. (Which admittedly haven't been great.) A few exceptions here and there.

Deep Space 9, huh? I will have to go back and try that one again. I don't think that one grabbed me the first time I saw an episode or two of it.

Aeschylus moment!

Just now, in the current sixth episode of season 2 the director & or writers were inspired by Laura's signature! :) At the episode's end - in a grand emotional moment, two actors are reading the lines below, answering to each other:

At showtime min/sec: [54:02]

- I'm reminded. Do you know Aeschylus?
– An ancient Greek tragedian, born circa 525 BC.
– "He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep... "
– "Pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart. "

Well, the show is about the Federation striving for intergalactic peace. Even after an immense war threatening member nations.

Lets hope Aeschylus's message finds a place in some hearts.

I jumped in with both feet, and found it engaging enough. It looked fantastic and had plenty of action and drama. I could look the other way on all the ugly time-line shenanigans, including the complete obliteration of the vast Star Trek story universe our culture had traveled with since the 60's, built over multiple series.

But.., it was really dark. Not just the physical lighting, which is always turned down to "dance-club", but the social mood.., everybody seemed to be living under a shroud of very non-Star Trek anxiety and communal mistrust. There was a total lack of the easy camaraderie evident in other Star Trek series. I wouldn't want to work on that damned ship! None of the characters seemed like the sort of people I'd want in my life. They're all guarded, self-serving, unsympathetic and miserable. Reminds me of the local hipster cafe scene.

And yes, the probable causative factor.., the creep of SJW philosophy, began to grate on my nerves. The entire bridge crew has been modeled on millennial attitudes, rife with Mary Sues, inferiority complexes, and even an herbivore officer whose special power is hyper-attentiveness to personal danger. Christ. And it turned out (SPOILER!) the captain was an evil toxic male the whole time! Gosh durn it! Now there isn't a single straight white male to be seen in the whole show who isn't a violent villain. -Which, sure, if it helps the story, is fine. But the footprints of dishonest political signaling are clearly evident.

Then, right when I was trying to decide if I was going to bother subjecting myself to further cultural propaganda (for the sake of sci-fi adventure among the stars!), we learned that out in the Real World, the fancy new and dopey (literally; it's all about magical fungus and animal rights) hyperspace technology which the show orbits around, had been "borrowed" whole-cloth from an independent video game creator without asking and without offering credit. There's a law suit in progress. Good job, creative team!

It sounds like there are too many cooks in the kitchen and that most of them are corporate kludges without any writing experience, all needing to fiddle with the stew in order to justify their jobs. From reports, the production is apparently highly politicized and full of egg-shell walking, tense nerves and legal barriers to even discussing it on a couple of fronts.

Yeah, no thanks. I walked away and haven't regretted it.

It also looks like the viewership figures are a far cry from the projections and hopes.

Really?! Better than TNG and DS9? :cuckoo: Even though I've never seen it and probably shouldn't judge it before actually having watched an episode, I've heard some pretty bad reviews and assessments from people who have seen it. Your the first person that I've come across to give it a glowing review. A while back @Keit recommended The Orville, and after watching the first several episodes find it's continuing the spirit of Star Trek. They even have Brannon Braga as one of the exec. producers and Jonathan Frakes directed some of the episodes!

Recently watched the first season, and I must say I wholeheartedly agree with @genero81. As a Trekkie I went into it with very low expectations, anticipating SJWism galore, stupid clichés and superficial moralization and all that. But no! Better than DS9 indeed, IMHO!

Yes, there are some diversity casts (and even the Klingons have diversity and gender equality now :rolleyes:), but to be honest, I'm tired of freaking out about it, because the characters are just great. In fact, I like every one of them! And the general plot is really cool and multi-faceted, plus the subplots are delicious for Star Trek fans - diplomatic entanglements, time loops, holo decks, Vulcans, Klingons... Also, some nice references to the Trekkie universe for those who notice such things :)

The only beef I have with Star Trek in general is its materialistic/science-worshipping subtext, but hey, at least they have telepathy and quantum weirdness.

So for this one I'd say don't get fed up about diversity, and just enjoy the great characters - and hands down the best Star Trek I've watched since DS9, movies included.

(Perhaps I just like it so much because I had such low expectations, don't know...)

Edit: Just realized that I haven't finished the first season yet, so if there are some annoying turns yet to come, I don't know them...

Last edited:
Recently watched the first season, and I must say I wholeheartedly agree with @genero81. As a Trekkie I went into it with very low expectations, anticipating SJWism galore, stupid clichés and superficial moralization and all that. But no! Better than DS9 indeed, IMHO!

Yes, there are some diversity casts (and even the Klingons have diversity and gender equality now :rolleyes:), but to be honest, I'm tired of freaking out about it, because the characters are just great. In fact, I like every one of them! And the general plot is really cool and multi-faceted, plus the subplots are delicious for Star Trek fans - diplomatic entanglements, time loops, holo decks, Vulcans, Klingons... Also, some nice references to the Trekkie universe for those who notice such things :)

The only beef I have with Star Trek in general is its materialistic/science-worshipping subtext, but hey, at least they have telepathy and quantum weirdness.

So for this one I'd say don't get fed up about diversity, and just enjoy the great characters - and hands down the best Star Trek I've watched since DS9, movies included.

(Perhaps I just like it so much because I had such low expectations, don't know...)

Edit: Just realized that I haven't finished the first season yet, so if there are some annoying turns yet to come, I don't know them...

Better than DS9. :headbash:Wow just wow. :shock: Each to their own I guess. STD is exactly like the acronym suggests. It’s a STD!

Lazy writing, no overall arc, terrible continuity, giving into ideology, zero character development, creators attacking the fans, unnecessary lens flare galore, and so on. In the end it comes down to lack of authenticity and creativity, with a huge dose of ideological possessions, mixed in with some copyright wars.

Same thing is happening across the board, eg; Disney merry sue star wars, girlie ghost busters, Woman© DR Who? Captain marwoman (originally Mar-Vell gasp was a man!), etc..

SO sick of it. Ponerology has penetrated everything and all aspects of life.
Life’s too short, read a book don’t waste your time on STD’s.

PS: The Orville is light years ahead in terms of watchability. You want a good old fashion Star trek feel, the Orville does not disappoint.

Thanks luc! So far the first episode of season two was the best but I'm still watching. Still think it's worth watching but I don't think the criticisms are completely undeserved.

Soooo, I was just about to recommend another Sci Fi series in an effort to redeem myself. Tough crowd! This one is called The Expanse and it's on Amazon Prime. I checked out the reviews this time and they are very positive by and large. I'm four episodes into the first season and it has a good plot line and realistic feel considering it's Sci Fi.

It's possible someone here has already posted about it, I haven't checked.

Thanks luc! So far the first episode of season two was the best but I'm still watching. Still think it's worth watching but I don't think the criticisms are completely undeserved.

Soooo, I was just about to recommend another Sci Fi series in an effort to redeem myself. Tough crowd! This one is called The Expanse and it's on Amazon Prime. I checked out the reviews this time and they are very positive by and large. I'm four episodes into the first season and it has a good plot line and realistic feel considering it's Sci Fi.

It's possible someone here has already posted about it, I haven't checked.
The Expanse is remarkable!

The only down side, and it wasn't a major plot point or anything, was the.., 'anthropomorphizing' of the resident psychopath on the crew. It's easy to want to show psychopathy as a curable condition, one which the psychopath wants to find a way out of. That was the case with "Sherlock" as well.

Otherwise, it was very engaging sci-fi.

A while back @Keit recommended The Orville, and after watching the first several episodes find it's continuing the spirit of Star Trek. They even have Brannon Braga as one of the exec. producers and Jonathan Frakes directed some of the episodes!

We started to watch The Orville a while ago and I have to say that I'm pretty positively surprised. In fact, it is really engaging and good scripted. I really enjoyed Star Trek The Next Generation a couple of years ago. Usually I'm not the SCIFI guy, but TNG was really nice and engaging. Same with The Orville. I also find it great that in The Orville a good deal of hilarious humor was added. We laughed a lot, especially in the first season! The music compositions in Orville is also very good and engaging. Nothing like bad music in there. They actually managed to create a good and worthwhile follow up on Star Trek TNG IMO. If you like TNG I think you won't be disappointed in Orville, in fact you might find even better in some areas. No kidding... Since Star Trek Discovery got some pretty good reviews here, we will try that one out too at some point I think.

The Expanse is remarkable!

Watched it and unfortunately I can't share your view there; I found it pretty lame and flat actually especially when compared to TNG and The Orville. Tastes are different though. For me it isn't something I would want to watch again.

Last edited:

Well, I have always been a Star Trek fan since the first original season and I just enjoyed the show and the Sci-fi.

Back
Top Bottom