Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

Wandering Star

The Living Force
I just want to highlight a phrase from the movie. I really didn't expect it and it hit me hard.

Chance or not, the phrase filled me with energy.

This is the phrase:

"Hold on! Help is on its way!":rockon:

I just want to highlight a phrase from the movie. (...) This is the phrase:
"Hold on! Help is on its way!"
I remember mainly this one, said twice to Rey, by two people, respectively high on the light/dark side :
"Don't fear who/what you are !"
(Not sure about "who" or "what" in the original version.)

Was it worth seeing in theatres? Or was it propaganda laden like The Last Jedi?

If you like a movie where you put your brain and heart completely into neutral before it begins and just watch it as a disposable action movie that lacks soul or any real artistry, then sure. I thought it was pretty risible but ymmv.

It's a big-budget, mainstream action movie; I don't think it would get greenlit if it didn't fulfil its role in the general cultural propaganda. However, there were a couple of points that really jumped out to me:

a lesbian kiss and an enormous snake-like creature who isn't evil but just misunderstood

both of which felt really clunky and insidious to me.

I thought that it was sub Star Wars prequel movies level of ineptitude even but some people like it, apparently, so you might too.

Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley gave good performances though despite the awful plot and script. None of the other characters really needed to be there though as they all just served as a device to move the plot forward and/or explain everything to the audience with godawful expository dialogue. Ian McDiarmid hammed it up pretty nicely though but then his character is a pantomime villain. Hm, not sure if I would have enjoyed this more if it had been a panto tbh.

Last edited:
Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley gave good performances though despite the awful plot and script. None of the other characters really needed to be there though as they all just served as a device to move the plot forward and/or explain everything to the audience with godawful expository dialogue. Ian McDiarmid hammed it up pretty nicely though but then his character is a pantomime villain. Hm, not sure if I would have enjoyed this more if it had been a panto tbh.

Saw it last night and this pretty much sums it up. Although I think Ridley's acting was only good insofar as it related to her performances with Driver. Every other character and relationship dynamic was essentially non-existent and two-dimensional. I think Boyega and Isaac did their best given the circumstances, but they had very little to work with. The only silver-lining I found was that the dialogue and script was SO BAD that it was entertaining (for all the wrong reasons) and couldn't help but wonder if the three main characters only genuinely emotional scene at the end where they were all hugging was because they won the war or because the actors knew they would never have to film another Star Wars movie again. :halo:

Whoever wrote the script suffered from 'Chronicles of Riddick' syndrome where they packed 2-3 movies worth of material into one movie, sacrificed any notion of character development to move the plot forward, and figured they could distract the audience with huge explosions and nostalgic characters to make up for it.

All in all, the movie is a sign of the times.

Saw it last night and this pretty much sums it up. Although I think Ridley's acting was only good insofar as it related to her performances with Driver. Every other character and relationship dynamic was essentially non-existent and two-dimensional. I think Boyega and Isaac did their best given the circumstances, but they had very little to work with. The only silver-lining I found was that the dialogue and script was SO BAD that it was entertaining (for all the wrong reasons) and couldn't help but wonder if the three main characters only genuinely emotional scene at the end where they were all hugging was because they won the war or because the actors knew they would never have to film another Star Wars movie again. :halo:

Whoever wrote the script suffered from 'Chronicles of Riddick' syndrome where they packed 2-3 movies worth of material into one movie, sacrificed any notion of character development to move the plot forward, and figured they could distract the audience with huge explosions and nostalgic characters to make up for it.

All in all, the movie is a sign of the times.

I agree with everything you say and your comment about the three characters hugging is really rather plausible! The movie was written by a scriptwriter who I had never heard of and the director, J J Abrams. Abrams' reputation is that he is a hack, competent but a hack nonetheless. He has a history of taking other people's ideas and remixing them to create his own content. He doesn't seem to have any real creative ability himself but he can do a good job of copying what others have done. I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't got a soul tbh and is just being used by 4D STS to push out their propaganda in mainstream movies. I saw him on a talk show once and he walked onto the set doing the inverted triangle with his fingers that Merkel used to love doing. This is reputed to be a sign used by the Illuminati so members can recognise each other, not unlike Masons having a secret handshake. That would explain the horrible scene with the
serpent
which I found to be malicious in its intent.

I saw the movie. What is good is that Star Wars presents ideas about other civilizations, "aliens," advanced technology. Also, the ideas of the Force, the Light Side, and the Dark Side, the telepathy, the telekinesis that all is nice if you consider that it goes to the mainstream public, and it can give them a bit of food for thought and turn on their imagination. But besides that, this is just another Star Wars movie without any deep truths in it. Like the whole series, it is rather a family movie. But when I was a child, with other boys, we were settled on that point (Star Wars). We were peeling sticks and pretend that we were fighting with our lightsabers. If you have a similar history in your life like me, or you are or you were a Star Wars fan, you, in spite of all, should see this movie, if not, then not necessary, because nothing deep is in it.

He has a history of taking other people's ideas and remixing them to create his own content. He doesn't seem to have any real creative ability himself but he can do a good job of copying what others have done.

I noticed that as well. The movie ran like an amalgam of twists and turns taken from other movie plots and put together in haphazard fashion which made it entirely unbelievable and ridiculous, even for a movie.

I noticed that as well. The movie ran like an amalgam of twists and turns taken from other movie plots and put together in haphazard fashion which made it entirely unbelievable and ridiculous, even for a movie.

I have seen it described as a McGuffin hunt in a video game i.e. there is this 'thing' that they really must have or everything is lost but then they get it but then they have to go and find this other thing that they really must have or everything is lost etc. That is a very apt description to me. None of the character's actions stem from who they are; they are merely in thrall to moving the crappy plot/story forward. Awful writing. The video game analogy is also apt because they fulfill the role of NPCs in games, or Non Player Characters, whose role is merely to push the game/story forward and explain everything to the player. Such a shame; I grew up on the original trilogy so Star Wars has been there for most of my life. Thankfully I am not emotionally invested in it to an insane degree like some people seem to be!

not interested in watching this one (didn't see last jedi anyway) but I found this summary (spoilers of course)

The level of hilarity the guy in the video gets out of Star Wars is pretty amazing. I get the feeling, though, that he's not just laughing at Star Wars, but also at the culture that spawned it. Personally, I find Star Wars pathetic. It deserves the epithet "space opera" I've heard it given. The actions are just as authentic and believable as in an opera on the stage where people take half an hour to die whilst singing their hearts out.

The level of hilarity the guy in the video gets out of Star Wars is pretty amazing. I get the feeling, though, that he's not just laughing at Star Wars, but also at the culture that spawned it. Personally, I find Star Wars pathetic. It deserves the epithet "space opera" I've heard it given. The actions are just as authentic and believable as in an opera on the stage where people take half an hour to die whilst singing their hearts out.

Unfortunately, he is not actually saying those words. Someone has taken the video and put their own words over the top in subtitles to make a point. I have seen various versions of this. I believe the original discussion was about football/soccer but I may be wrong about that.

Another example of this phenomenon uses a very popular scene from the BBC drama 'Downfall' about the last few days of Nazi rule in Germany wherein Hitler has a complete psychological meltdown:

I have seen this same clip used for all sorts of things such as Brexit, video game system wars, and so on. Some of them can be really rather funny.

Back
Top Bottom