Strange howls caught on video in Ontario, Canada

Alana

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
On October 3, Gino Meekis was hunting grouse with his wife and grandson about 45km from Sioux Lookout, when they heard what they appear to be animal noises (howls or screams). The baby grandson even tried to mimic them, but the wife got scared after a bit and they left. Before leaving, they recorded the sounds, and the video became viral, with netizens offering all kinds of suggestions about the origin of the sounds: bigfoot, wendigo, werewolf, stepping on legos,... but also injured wolf or dog, maybe trapped in a cave.

Gino Meekis who recorded the sounds said he's been hunting all his life and never heard anything like that before.

Here's the video:

My woods-experience is limited, so I wanted to know if any of you, with more experience with wild animals/woods/hunting, have any idea what this might be?

It reminds me of some of the sounds that people allege Bigfoot is making. This one kind of sounds similar:

This one might also be of interest:

Having said that, at certain points the sound recorded above (and posted by Alana) almost sound wolfish/dogish (for my layman ears). Hard to tell. I guess you would need to ask somebody with a lot of experience out in the local woods, like Les Stroud, to really get an informed answer. Since Gino Meekis is a hunter though, I think he is one of the persons who is best qualified for such informed opinions (assuming he is telling the truth).

As always we can only guess what it might be, how far is it away for example is also not known. Comparing to other recording as posted above and the one following it has a more "super natural thing" to it imo. The following is a clip that was recorded in 70s and was also played in one of the most recent documentaries from David Paulides The hunted. The people who recorded it almost didn't see anything but it shows a high range of voice capability, when it were bigfoots. My guess is that it was a huge critter, maybe a bigfoot maybe a hurt animal? But I vote for a bigfoot.

alligator snapping turtle. It seems they often open their mouth when they are picked up, but I don't think the crying is real.

I would seriously question the authenticity of what is stated in the video, including the cry and eating „dead human bodies“ part. Sounds like a rather silly joke to me.

On October 3, Gino Meekis was hunting grouse with his wife and grandson about 45km from Sioux Lookout, when they heard what they appear to be animal noises (howls or screams). The baby grandson even tried to mimic them, but the wife got scared after a bit and they left. Before leaving, they recorded the sounds, and the video became viral, with netizens offering all kinds of suggestions about the origin of the sounds: bigfoot, wendigo, werewolf, stepping on legos,... but also injured wolf or dog, maybe trapped in a cave.

Gino Meekis who recorded the sounds said he's been hunting all his life and never heard anything like that before.

Here's the video:

My woods-experience is limited, so I wanted to know if any of you, with more experience with wild animals/woods/hunting, have any idea what this might be?

Sounds like a domestic dog to me - hound, mastiff or shepherd. I don't think a wolf would cry out like that if it was trapped or hurt because it would be too wary of other predators. A domestic dog on the other hand that is used to humans coming to give it a hand or taking care of it's needs and that is not wary of other predators would be more likely to make those sounds. I'd hard pressed not to track down the sound and take a look if I were there.

The video was posted on Oct 3rd. On Sioux Lookout animals lost and found fb page, this fella found his way home on Oct 10 - hope it was him!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 12.35.42 am.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 12.35.42 am.png
    325.3 KB · Views: 13

Here's the video:

That doesn't sound at all like a wolf or a dog. It's seriously creepy. At one point, it sounded a bit like the "strange sky sounds".

It reminds me of some of the sounds that people allege Bigfoot is making.
Comparing to other recording as posted above and the one following it has a more "super natural thing" to it imo
That doesn't sound at all like a wolf or a dog. It's seriously creepy. At one point, it sounded a bit like the "strange sky sounds".

That's what it sounded like to me at first too. Otherworldly, supernatural, creepy... Then I started reading the comments below the video and based on what various people were saying, I wondered if any animal can make these sounds.

Just a note: When I started watching the above video for the first time, at the beginning I could hear nothing other than the occasional baby sounds and I thought the whole thing was a joke. Mid-way it occurred to me to turn on the sound volume on my computer :-[ (I have it on very low usually) and that's when I heard it. I am mentioning it because later I realized that a few other people posting online were only hearing the baby sounds.

Yeah, my ears aren't the best and I've lost some of the higher frequencies so I could be missing some of the sound. Take a listen to the white shepherd at around 5:06 in the following video and imagine that sound with some hills adding echo and amplification. The white shepherd in the vid isn't as mournful as the sound in the video Alana added.

Laura beat me to it. That's no wolf or dog! Seriously creepy. I would be hushing that baby as well. Don't think I would want the attention of whatever it was!

I thought the same! Maybe it was just my hearing, but I thought it went quiet momentarily after the baby made the noise for the 2nd or 3rd time. I would've been out of there sharpish🏃‍♀️

I would seriously question the authenticity of what is stated in the video, including the cry and eating „dead human bodies“ part. Sounds like a rather silly joke to me.

I too thought it looked silly or even some video editing. As per the you tube comments, it is alligator snapping turtle and does look like fake video. I should have read the comments.

Back
Top Bottom