Sugar Alternatives?

tridean

Jedi Master
Hi All,
I did a search on this forum for 'sugar alternative' but found no thread titles of this name, so I wondered if it was ok to start one?

I would like to know what people use as an alternative sugar and any reasons for it. (for example, your blood type may prevent you using another alternative etc).

I'm thinking starting this thread may be good for others who are looking for an alternative to sugar too.

Of, course, if there is no alternative, or only one, please accept my apologies :-[

Dingo

DanielS said:
Stevia or Xylitol. Use the search functions and I'm sure you'll find tons of info.

Thanks Daniel. I think I have seen Stevia at the supermarket.

Yes, I did some searching, but started to get headspins as I noticed some of the recipes on here use sugar, so wasn't sure if sugar is a 100% no-no, or something one cuts out due to blood type etc

Cheers

Also keep in mind that some people get an upset stomach from xylitol - something to watch out for when you first try it. Buy a small container first. It can almost be mistaken for white sugar and doesn't have Stevia's bitter taste.

Another good alternative is coconut sugar (usually in crystal form). It's made from coconut palm sugar blossoms and is mineral rich. It's minimally processed and has a rich toffee-like flavour, and it has a slow sugar release, like xylitol. If you're starting out on the Ultra Simple Diet, coconut will require testing like almost everything else, just to be safe.

Since you're in Australia, here is one online store:
_http://www.cocopure.com.au/coconut-butter/fine-foods/fine-foods.html

Steer clear of the coconut butter on that store as it is sweetened with agave syrup, which is a highly processed sap that will spike your blood sugar in the same way normal sugar or corn syrup would.

Nathan said:
Also keep in mind that some people get an upset stomach from xylitol - something to watch out for when you first try it. Buy a small container first. It can almost be mistaken for white sugar and doesn't have Stevia's bitter taste.

Another good alternative is coconut sugar (usually in crystal form). It's made from coconut palm sugar blossoms and is mineral rich. It's minimally processed and has a rich toffee-like flavour, and it has a slow sugar release, like xylitol. If you're starting out on the Ultra Simple Diet, coconut will require testing like almost everything else, just to be safe.

Since you're in Australia, here is one online store:
_http://www.cocopure.com.au/coconut-butter/fine-foods/fine-foods.html

Steer clear of the coconut butter on that store as it is sweetened with agave syrup, which is a highly processed sap that will spike your blood sugar in the same way normal sugar or corn syrup would.

Cheers Nathan. I'll look into the coconut sugar...sounds promising. Stevia has a bitter taste? How odd, and funny at the same time! :shock:

My friends, family and I agree that KAL brand stevia is the best we've found. We like the taste and it also dissolves well in liquid. My mother has tried the liquid stevia versions and other powder versions too, but we always prefer KAL to the others. This is what we purchase:

_http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Stevia-Extract-Powder-3-5/dp/B000VRSR84/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1287415974&sr=8-6

Yeah, I just bought a box of Stevia In The Raw...didn't like it, with the bitterness sort of reminded me of the old Saccharine my grandmother used to use. Will look into the Xylitol next.

Allulose did not produce any search results, and the following is from a couple articles. Allulose has the same atomic composition as fructose, but has a different physical shape which results in different effects on the body. 70% of consumed allulose is excreted through urine, and it has very low fermentability in the gut. Side effects occur upon high consumption of allulose, eg 1g/kg daily resulted in severe nausea, abdominal pain, headache, anorexia, and diarrheal symptoms. Allulose naturally occurs in small quantities, and is industrially manufactured primarily with corn, so make sure it is not genetically modified.

Ultimate Guide to Allulose Sweetener
By Mark Sisson

A few months back, I put Swerve under the proverbial microscope. This time I’m looking at a relative newcomer in the alternative sweetener field. Allulose is quickly growing in popularity, since it’s both naturally occurring and virtually identical to table sugar in taste and texture. Then there’s the claim of sidestepping many of the ill-health effects associated with many other sweeteners.

I know many of you are with me when I bring a sizable dose of skepticism to these kinds of bold proclamations. So, I did my own research, asking whether it’s truly the full-flavor, guilt-free choice many suggest it is. And, if it is (or if it comes close), I wondered, what are its best uses in the kitchen?

What is Allulose?

When it comes down to it, allulose isn’t all that unlike glucose or fructose. The three are all monosaccharides, the simplest form of carbohydrate. Like glucose and fructose, allulose is also naturally occurring—unlike the vast array of artificial sweeteners on the market today. Still, as we know, “natural” doesn’t always mean “healthy.”

Fructose, for example, is synonymous with fruit. Conventional wisdom teaches us that fruit is healthy, but Primal folks are well aware that increasing consumption of fructose is associated with a plethora of health risks from diabetes to cardiovascular disease. And considering allulose has virtually the same chemical makeup as fructose, that might raise some eyebrows.

But chemical legacies aside, there appear to be some key differences between allulose and its monosaccharide cousins. Unlike fructose and glucose, which are found in abundance in the foods we eat, allulose is a very rare sugar that’s hard to find in nature—popping up in only a few foods like wheat, figs, raisins and jackfruit.

Next, allulose (aka psicose) is an epimer of fructose. In essence, this means that while allulose has the same atomic makeup as fructose, it has a minor structural variation. This miniscule difference supposedly has far-reaching effects, however, with preliminary trials showing that around 70% of allulose is excreted in urine and that it has very low fermentability in the gut—meaning you’re less likely to experience gas, bloating, and digestive upset after eating it. (Those who react to other natural alternative sweeteners probably know what I’m talking about here.)

Because so little allulose is utilized by our bodies for energy, the caloric implications from consuming it are supposedly quite minor. While it has 70% the relative sweetness of sucrose (table sugar), it has only 0.3% of the energy. Marketers are calling allulose a “zero calorie” sweetener, and in this case they’re not stretching the truth too much in saying so.

In terms of manufacturing, however, allulose does share another similarity to fructose: it’s primarily produced from corn, along with several other plants. These days, much of the science surrounding allulose is focused on the most efficient enzymatic catalyst for converting fructose into psicose, in order to maximize extraction (and therefore profits).
What Are the Benefits of Allulose?

The notion that a sweetener might have benefits beyond, well, sweetness is nothing new. Xylitol, for example, is a prebiotic that has been shown to balance blood sugar and lower cholesterol, while erythritol (the main sweetener in blends like Swerve) promotes healthy vascular function and good oral health.

Several studies show that allulose is beneficial for those suffering from type 2 diabetes. In a 2015 study, researchers fed diabetic rats with either water containing 5% allulose, or straight water as a control. Sixty weeks into the study, the diabetic rats fed allulose demonstrated “maintenance of blood glucose levels, decrease in body weight gain, and the control of postprandial hyperglycemia” compared to the control group. Significantly, insulin levels were also maintained in the allulose group, while pancreatic cells were preserved.

Other animal studies have produced similarly promising results, with trials showing that allulose administration helps to lower blood sugar levels and minimize insulin secretion following a sugary meal. It also appears to inhibit the tendency to overfeed on sugary foods and to improve insulin resistance over time.

Research in humans is a little thinner on the ground, but those conducted indicate that moderate doses (5 g or more) of allulose have the potential to prevent blood glucose and insulin spikes after eating other sugars. Interestingly, allulose taken by itself, without any other sugars or foods, doesn’t appear to have any effect at all on blood glucose or insulin concentrations.

Interestingly, beyond the hypoglycemic abilities of allulose, there are also reports that it can directly aid in fat loss. In a 2015 study published in the Journal of Food Science, obese mice fed allulose for 15 weeks experienced a reduction in body and liver weights, total fat mass and abdominal visceral fat without any reduction in muscle mass. Another study published in 2016 found that mice on a high fat diet who were fed allulose for 16 weeks experienced significant reductions in body weight and body fat, to the point where there was virtually no difference to the “healthy” control group.

And this year, a study was published showing that high doses of allulose (7g twice daily) resulted in significant reductions in BMI, abdominal fat and subcutaneous fat in overweight humans. This study aside, the jury’s still out on body composition benefits in humans. We’ll see if further studies demonstrate these kinds of results.

Other potential health benefits of allulose include oxidative stress protection, enhanced energy expenditure, and reduced inflammation. While the overall picture looks pretty good, I’ll be watching the continuing research. As always, manufacturers have an interest in encouraging studies that report favorable health benefits. I’m optimistic, but I’m not sold…just yet.
Is It Safe?

For the most part, there’s nothing to indicate that allulose is anything less than safe for humans. For what it’s worth, the FDA considers allulose to be Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS), and most studies have noted no significant adverse side effects beyond the usual responses to excessive doses.

A 2015 study that looked at the safety of long-term allulose consumption in rats concluded that it exhibited no dietary toxicity, while a strangely large number of studies in dogs showed that both single dose and long term consumption of allulose caused no harmful effects. At extremely high doses (4g/kg), dogs did exhibit vomiting and diarrhea, but it’d be difficult to consume that level of sweetness for any period of time.

In humans, toxicity tests are once again few and far between, but the general consensus is that allulose is perfectly safe. Longer term study (and longer term consumption of allulose by consumers) will show whether it’s truly side effect free.
What’s the Best Way To Use Allulose?

As an epimer of fructose, allulose tastes virtually the same as the sugars you’ll find in an apple or banana. With the exception of sugar syrups, most allulose is sold in granulated form, meaning you can use it much the same as you would granulated sugar.

Keep in mind, however, that it’s around 70% as sweet than sucrose (table sugar), so you’ll likely need a little more to achieve the same level of sweetness. But, then again, if you’re Primal, you probably don’t crave as much sweetness anyway…so why not start with the same dosage as regular sugar and see how it works for you?

Thanks for reading, everyone. Have you used allulose? I’d love to hear your thoughts on it.

2 Potential Health Benefits of Allulose
Written by Carlos Tello, PhD (Molecular Biology) | Last updated: September 20, 2021

Allulose, also known as D-psicose, is a rare sugar that tastes just like white sugar, but only has 1/10 of its calories. It has potential anti-obesity and antidiabetic properties. In animal studies, it also protected from oxidative stress, inflammation, and fatty liver disease. Read on to discover the potential benefits of allulose and whether you should incorporate it into your diet.

What Is Allulose?

Allulose is a rare sugar that occurs in small quantities in nature. It belongs to a group of simple sugars called monosaccharides, which includes fructose and glucose. However, allulose only contains 1/10 of the calories of these 2 sugars. It does, however, maintain a similar taste and texture [1, 2].

Industrially, allulose is produced from fructose. It can be purchased as a sweetener to substitute sugar in the diet [2].

Due to its low calorie content, allulose may benefit people suffering from obesity, diabetes, and may promote overall weight loss. Additionally, it may have antioxidant properties and reduce inflammation [1].
Natural Sources and Forms of Supplementation

Allulose occurs in small quantities in wheat and in the Itea plant genus [3, 4, 5].

Common food sources include brown sugar, dried figs, raisins, and Worcester sauce [6].

Today, it is mostly made industrially from fructose by using bacteria and is available in the form of sweetener or a food additive (honey or maple syrup) [7, 8].
Components

Allulose has the same molecular formula as fructose and glucose (C6H12O6), but the placement of chemical groups is slightly different. The rearrangement of chemical groups is enough to change its physical and chemical properties [8].
Mechanism of Action

Allulose is quickly flushed with the urine and cannot penetrate the blood-brain barrier. Therefore, direct action on the central nervous system is not possible [9].

Allulose acts mainly through the release of GLP-1 (Glucagon-Like Peptide-1). GLP-1 is produced by the large bowel. This hormone circulates in the blood and binds to receptors in the brain, pancreas, gut, and kidneys [10, 11].

Allulose lowers blood glucose by [12, 13, 14, 15, 16] :

Increasing insulin release in response to an after-meal glucose spike
Increasing the efficiency of glucose transport into the cells
Increasing insulin sensitivity
Suppressing glucagon release
Increasing the usage of glucose in the liver
Directly reducing the release of glucose into the bloodstream
Inhibiting intestinal alpha-glucosidase and delaying sucrose digestion

Allulose decreases the amount of body fat tissue by [17, 18, 19]:

Increasing the activity of three enzymes that break down fats: CPT1 (Carnitine palmitoyltransferase 2), CPT2, and beta-oxidase
Increasing the number of a protein involved in energy use (uncoupling protein 1 or UCP1)
Blocking the enzymes that produce fatty molecules (fatty acid synthase and acetyl-CoA carboxylase 1)

Allulose decreases the amount of liver fat by [17]:

Reducing the levels of the enzymes required for fat production (fatty acid synthase and phosphatidate phosphatase)

Allulose promotes satiety by:

Increasing the release of GLP-1, which travels through the bloodstream to the brain. In the brain, GLP-1 receptors are located in the brainstem, hypothalamus, and parietal cortex. Their activation results in a reduction of appetite [20, 18, 21].
GLP-1 also blocks the digestive system from emptying out food (ileal brake mechanism). This sends a signal to the brain that results in less hunger [22, 23, 24].
Allulose is easily absorbable but has a very low glycemic index. This means that consuming allulose does not cause a rise in blood glucose levels [25, 15].

Snapshot
Proponents
May help control blood sugar levels
May help lose weight
Similar taste to sugar with only 1/10 of its calories

Skeptics
Insufficient evidence for all benefits
High doses may cause digestive issues

A heads-up to those using erythritol:

"Artificial sweeteners are widely used sugar substitutes, but little is known about their long-term effects on cardiometabolic disease risks. Here we examined the commonly used sugar substitute erythritol and atherothrombotic disease risk. In initial untargeted metabolomics studies in patients undergoing cardiac risk assessment (n = 1,157; discovery cohort, NCT00590200), circulating levels of multiple polyol sweeteners, especially erythritol, were associated with incident (3 year) risk for major adverse cardiovascular events (MACE; includes death or nonfatal myocardial infarction or stroke). Subsequent targeted metabolomics analyses in independent US (n = 2,149, NCT00590200) and European (n = 833, DRKS00020915) validation cohorts of stable patients undergoing elective cardiac evaluation confirmed this association (fourth versus first quartile adjusted hazard ratio (95% confidence interval), 1.80 (1.18–2.77) and 2.21 (1.20–4.07), respectively). At physiological levels, erythritol enhanced platelet reactivity in vitro and thrombosis formation in vivo. Finally, in a prospective pilot intervention study (NCT04731363), erythritol ingestion in healthy volunteers (n = 8) induced marked and sustained (>2 d) increases in plasma erythritol levels well above thresholds associated with heightened platelet reactivity and thrombosis potential in in vitro and in vivo studies. Our findings reveal that erythritol is both associated with incident MACE risk and fosters enhanced thrombosis. Studies assessing the long-term safety of erythritol are warranted."

A heads-up to those using erythritol:
Thanks for the heads up. I know I've used it in the past, and even recently. Does it say how much it took for that effect and over what period of time? I was probably using at least two teaspoons a day as a sweetener for a while, depending on the size of the bag. I think at this point, I might as well use organic coconut sugar.

Yep. This brought a memory from 2 years ago, when my wife made an almond chocolate cake and used Swerve instead of sugar. I took only couple of bites and developed rash all over my upper body while chewing on those bites. In the bin it went never to return.
Using Stevia (Stevita brand) now with no ill effects. Although too much of it leaves an aftertaste. A coffee cup takes 2 drops which is not enough but 3 drops are one too many :-)

Glycine? As the amino acid glycine?

I am thinking, since I use Stevia only to sweeten my ocassional cup of coffee, maybe its time to drink it plain or give up coffee altogether.

Glycine? As the amino acid glycine?

I am thinking, since I use Stevia only to sweeten my ocassional cup of coffee, maybe its time to drink it plain or give up coffee altogether.

In moderation, perhaps. Although... (I hate to throw a spanner in the works) glycine dysregulation is now thought to be a major driver of atherosclerosis and other cardio-metabolic conditions.

In someone with this profile, taking glycine in large amounts (say, 5 grams +) might convert into high amounts of oxalate because of a functional inhibition of specific enzymes in the liver. This enzyme is called AGXT and ordinarily prevents glycine from converting into oxalate. When this enzyme is inhibited, the hyperoxalosis in blood generated by the liver is then known to deposit in vascular tissue and contribute towards arterial stiffening.

This recent paper describes the details and mechanisms:

Dysregulated oxalate metabolism is a driver and therapeutic target in atherosclerosis​

Highlights

- The glycine/oxalate ratio is reduced in both patients and mice with atherosclerosis•

- Loss of AGXT and dietary oxalate overload increase atherosclerosis in Apoe−/− mice

- In macrophages, oxalate induces mitochondrial dysfunction, enhancing CCL5 release
- AAV-AGXT treatment to target dysregulated oxalate metabolism lowers atherosclerosis

Summary

Dysregulated glycine metabolism is emerging as a common denominator in cardiometabolic diseases, but its contribution to atherosclerosis remains unclear. In this study, we demonstrate impaired glycine-oxalate metabolism through alanine-glyoxylate aminotransferase (AGXT) in atherosclerosis. As found in patients with atherosclerosis, the glycine/oxalate ratio is decreased in atherosclerotic mice concomitant with suppression of AGXT. Agxt deletion in apolipoprotein E-deficient (Apoe−/−) mice decreases the glycine/oxalate ratio and increases atherosclerosis with induction of hepatic pro-atherogenic pathways, predominantly cytokine/chemokine signaling and dysregulated redox homeostasis. Consistently, circulating and aortic C-C motif chemokine ligand 5 (CCL5) and superoxide in lesional macrophages are increased. Similar findings are observed following dietary oxalate overload in Apoe−/− mice. In macrophages, oxalate induces mitochondrial dysfunction and superoxide accumulation, leading to increased CCL5. Conversely, AGXT overexpression in Apoe−/− mice increases the glycine/oxalate ratio and decreases aortic superoxide, CCL5, and atherosclerosis. Our findings uncover dysregulated oxalate metabolism via suppressed AGXT as a driver and therapeutic target in atherosclerosis.

Back
Top Bottom