Supertramp: Crime of the Century

rs

Dagobah Resident
Supertramp was/is on my short list of favorite groups. I never realized it, but I guess they were just way ahead of their time.

B000068FY0.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Supertramp said:
Now they're planning the crime of the century
Well what will it be?
Read all about their schemes and adventuring
It's well worth a fee
So roll up and see

And they rape the universe
How they've gone from bad to worse
Who are these men of lust, greed, and glory?
Rip off the masks and let's see.
But that's not right - oh no, what's the story?
There's you and there's me
That can't be right

yeps must put my hand up and say early Supertramp is so good musically and text wise."Take the long way home" is also one of my faves from them.

but then they just went really awful with cannonball album.

the rabbit said:
yeps must put my hand up and say early Supertramp is so good musically and text wise."Take the long way home" is also one of my faves from them.

but then they just went really awful with cannonball album.
My favorite is "Fool's Overture". After they had Breakfast in America, they were less interesting to me. See what one simple breakfast can do?

rs said:
My favorite is "Fool's Overture"
I'm told the sheet music on the piano on the cover is the music to star spangled banner.

paulnotbilly said:
I'm told the sheet music on the piano on the cover is the music to star spangled banner.
Thats what wikipedia says anyway. i didn't know that! Learn something new every day... ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Even_in_the_Quietest_Moments

Funny and ironic that we hear the words NOW

Roger Hodgson Published on Jun 28, 2018
Roger Hodgson co-founded Supertramp in 1969 and was the driving force behind what fans call the 14 golden years of the band. He wrote, sang, and arranged the enduring rock standards that made Supertramp a worldwide phenomenon with album sales in excess of 60 million.

Roger not only gave us “Breakfast in America,” but also other timeless classics such as "Give a Little Bit," “Dreamer," "The Logical Song," "Take the Long Way Home," "It's Raining Again," "Fool's Overture,” “School,” and many more.

Per Roger Hodgson:
Well, when I wrote “Breakfast in America,” I mean obviously, I had a lot of dreams. One of them was to go to America, and the America that we saw on the television was very different to the America that we’re very much more connected to today. I mean, it was very archetypal in a way, “everyone in Texas is a millionaire,” for example. So a lot of my thoughts, you know, want to “see the girls in California,“ it was just a playful song, (part of) I think dreaming of going to America. I think The Beatles maybe had just gone to America. Maybe that affected it but, again, I was dreaming and having fun one day and this song just flowed out.
I think the lyric was written in about an hour, so I didn’t even stop to think what I was writing. It just came out of me.

Funny, it's an old thread that was just now noticed for the fist time and had forgotten all about them. Caught their show in 1975 at Place des Nations, Montreal, QC. Tickets were around 6 bucks and that show was their 'Crime of the Century'. They were definitely very popular in Quebec among French and English speaking people, and were played on the radio a great deal (CJAD, CHOM etc. if memories serves me) - which they also came back to play many times over the years. That was the only time I saw them.

Back
Top Bottom