Surveillance cables off the coast of Northern Norway mysteriously cut

Keit

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
There is this interesting news item:

A unique underwater observatory in strategic waters off the coast of Northern Norway has been knocked out of service, after more than 4.3 kilometers of its specially designed offshore fiberoptic and electric cables were cut and then disappeared. Sabotage suspicions are rising, and the damage has been reported to both the military and state police intelligence agency PST.

Not only is the area important as the location for lots of fish breeding, it can also attract military submarines from both the Norwegian Navy, NATO allies and other countries. Ripping out the cables left the entire underwater observatory and its surveillance system out of play. All intelligence information that could have been recorded first by FFI was gone. The system monitoring the entire underwater area has remained down since last spring...

It’s possible foreign governments could be interested in underwater surveillance information picked up by the cables, or simply the cables themselves, since they reflect unique Norwegian technology that could be useful elsewhere.

Or someone may have just wanted “to ruin how the information was sent,” Rogne told DN. It could have measured submarine activity “or other activity in the area, in real time. You could see what’s going on down there regarding all types of U-boats and all other countries’ U-boats. That’s why I didn’t think this was just a case for the police but a case for PST. And now our research infrastructure is out of order, too.”

It also made me think of this Niall's article on SOTT.

From the article:
....according to IMR director Sissel Rogne. “This was a very thick cable, and very, very heavy,” Rogne told DN. Only something very powerful could have torn off the cable from both nodes, and carried it off. Fully 4.3 kilometers of the 66km cable network were missing...."

".....Not only is the area important as the location for lots of fish breeding, it can also attract military submarines from both the Norwegian Navy, NATO allies and other countries. Ripping out the cables left the entire underwater observatory and its surveillance system out of play.

That's a lot of material to disappear. The weight, they say, is 9,5 tons.
The cable pictured in the article doesn't seem to be extraordinarily thick though and stands in contradiction to what this IMR director says.

Very interesting, makes me think, who could disappear cables of such weight and magnitude for our communication network in 3D. I know this reads like off the wall. But could hyperdimensional forces be at play here? Or is it a more 3D concept, that the technology produced in 3D, has advanced to such an extent that the the general population, is not aware of it's origins. Think Black Budgets.

I know, silly but I couldn't resist.
View attachment 51321

Whoever did this maybe doesn't want to be seen or that things going on there are seen.

It's too big for a youth prank for sure.
LOL! Looks to me like a photshot image, to throw more disinformation into the mix. And very amateur at that, just to get clicks. What people will do for recognition and money, strikes me as nothing more than desperation.

That's a lot of material to disappear. The weight, they say, is 9,5 tons.
The cable pictured in the article doesn't seem to be extraordinarily thick though and stands in contradiction to what this IMR director says.

It's possible that the author who wrote the article used a bit of creative exaggeration, but apparently the cable is indeed similar to how it is depicted on the picture, and it is possible to presume that this length would weigh 9.5 tones.

I searched a bit, and here's a press release by the company that laid out the cables back in 2019.

And here are two videos. The first one is done by the marine laboratory. Just ignore the eye rolling "inclusive climate change" speak. And watch starting from the point in the video:

And here's a video that shows the cables that Novacavi company produces. They are all not incredibly "thick".

But yeah, it's strange that more than 4 km of this cable was cut and "disappeared without a trace". Could it be another experiment of space based weapon/technology, perhaps by our usual suspects? Or some other "displacement" experiment was done? Of course there is also a possible that something mundane has happened, but then why the underwater robots weren't able to find the cable that was cut.

Last edited:
Speaking of weight again, apparently these cables are heavier than we think, because they are so dense.

Here's a video where an internet undersea cable was examined and cut. Just in case you are curious. It looks like it is twice as thick as the laboratory cable, and it is actually thinner than the ones I saw on the image search. It's possible that when these cables are put in the ocean, they add an additional insulation layer. Or there is a great variation of cables.

And here's a video that shows how these cables are being cut and recycled. I was curious how much power it actually requires to cut it. Well, it looks that with the right equipment actually cutting it shouldn't be a problem, but then carrying is away with "conventional methods" should be a bit of a project, and probably can't be done in a totally invisible or hidden way.

It may be relevant that the price of copper has been rising for two years now. There are stories in the UK of people digging cable out of the ground to sell it as scrap. Which - I think - seems like a lot of trouble to go to, but people have been stealing lead and zinc off church roofs since forever.

1636536962896.png

Yeah, I would say it's highly unlikely that "The Russians" came along in a submarine, cut the cable, reeled up all 4.3km onto the sub, and then zoomed away. :lol:

A surface vessel doing it might be possible, but how to get away with it without being spotted? That is one long, heavy, tough chunk of cable...

I'm going with bleedthrough that resulted in 4D turbo-sharks eating it - sort of like a Sharknado. They were very, very hungry.

Yeah, I would say it's highly unlikely that "The Russians" came along in a submarine, cut the cable, reeled up all 4.3km onto the sub, and then zoomed away.

Maybe not Russians, but Serbs could do it. :-D
They can steal 4km of cables in a middle of a city without a trace. ;-D
Actually, they can do it twice! :lol:

The Ada bridge was also targeted by vandals at the beginning of December, when thieves stole about four kilometers of electrical installations and thus left this structure without functional and decorative lighting.

Maybe its not cut or missing, but they say that for some reason. Corporative, inteligence services, any psychopathic reason in psychopathic world . . . .

It may be relevant that the price of copper has been rising for two years now. There are stories in the UK of people digging cable out of the ground to sell it as scrap. Which - I think - seems like a lot of trouble to go to, but people have been stealing lead and zinc off church roofs since forever.

View attachment 51329
I was just thinking this. I had a hold up moving into my current rental around 7 months ago because over 150 meters of underground electrical cable was stolen from between the house and the electricity pole by the road. Talking to one of the electricians engaged in replacing the cable and he reckoned that the thieves probably got around $2,000 in copper from it. So 4km of cable is not a bad haul if they already had the equipment to collect it. They wouldn't have to roll it up at the scene, they'd just need to drag it away and deal with it later. What seems to have happened at the house here is that the cable was cut at the road, then cut at the house and attached to a vehicle that was hidden behind the house and some bushland and was dragged out through an empty paddock on the opposite side of the block.

Also when living in the desert over west, electricity companies installing new power lines used to pay security guards to camp in their vehicles by the cable rolls over night and on weekends when it was otherwise unattented. Story was back then that peeps would just attach cable to a vehicle, drag lengths of it off into the desert somewhere before cutting it into more manageable lengths for transport.

Maybe something like this happened, but I'm not so sure when I see the size of that cable in the story!

Maybe something like this happened, but I'm not so sure when I see the size of that cable in the story!

Well, I did some digging, and a 4.5 km/9.5 tons cable is nothing compared to what was stolen and hauled in this article from 2007. 😅

So who knows, maybe it's nothing mysterious, but perhaps someone is really entrepreneurial in Norway. I would think that Norway is too "well to do" country for this kind of activity, though. But who knows. I do presonally prefer the "sharknado" version! :-P

Maritime thieves have stolen at least 11-kilometres Vietnamese portion of Thailand bound SEA-ME-WE3 submarine cable and sold the 100 tons of illicit cargo as scrap...

Authorities have not discovered who initially cut the cable. But last Wednesday, police in the southern coastal town of Vung Tau said they captured a boat carrying 60 tons of undersea optical fibre cable...

Earlier the police also captured three boats and recovered 40 tons of similar cables....

Authorities of Kien Giang, Bac Lieu, Soc Trang provinces have seized hundreds of tonnes of telecom cable from fishing boats. Police say they have broken up five rings selling some 500 tons of illegally salvaged cable since the beginning of this year...

Back
Top Bottom