Tea propaganda

D Rusak

Jedi Council Member
http://health.yahoo.com/ate/drweil/alldaily/2004/03/20040311

Anti-Anxiety Agent in Tea?
Provided by: DrWeil.com

Q: I've read that L-theanine is a good anti-anxiety product. It is a form of green tea extract. What are your thoughts on using this for anxiety? -- J. Tyler

A: L-theanine, an amino acid found in tea plants, is responsible for the unique flavor of green tea. This compound is said to promote relaxation and modify the stimulating effects of the caffeine present in green tea.

Some research has suggested that L-theanine has calming effects. In one study, young women were given either water, 50 mg of L-theanine or 200 mg of L-theanine once a week. Afterward, their brain waves were measured. Those who received the highest dose (200 mg) produced more alpha waves, an indication of increased relaxation, about 40 minutes after getting the L-theanine. Results of this study were published in the June 1999 issue of "Trends in Food Science & Technology". However, more research will be needed to confirm the findings.

Other studies, including animal studies, have suggested that L-theanine has an anticancer effect, may enhance learning in animals and lowers blood pressure in hypertensive rats. But none of these benefits has been demonstrated in humans, at least not yet.

As far as combating anxiety is concerned, I recommend breathing exercises, which are the most effective and fastest-acting method I know. Aerobic exercise is also helpful, and I would recommend avoiding caffeine because its stimulating effects can heighten anxiety.

You also might try tincture of passionflower (Passiflora incarnata), which is mildly relaxing. The dose is one dropperful in a little water, up to four times a day, as needed. Valerian (Valeriana officinalis) is more powerful - use a capsule of the standardized extract only as needed.

For the calming and relaxing benefits of L-theanine, I recommend drinking green tea in moderation rather than taking a supplement. If you find the tea too stimulating, look for a decaffeinated form.

Andrew Weil, MD
Yep, more alpha waves is definitely what we need. Perhaps tea with a side of Denver Airport murals. It's a good thing the Doctor mentions the fluoride in the tea as well. Go back to sleep, everyone....

Hi D Rusak,
I have to say that I dont quite understand where are you going with this tread.

Firstly I dont see anything wrong with alpha states - as long as they are not abused by intruders on unsuspecting individual. So called alpha state is the state that every human being experiences at least once during the day.
It is well known that the brain is an electrochemical organ; researchers have speculated that a fully functioning brain can generate as much as 10 watts of electrical power. Other more conservative investigators calculate that if all 10 billion interconnected nerve cells discharged at one time that a single electrode placed on the human scalp would record something like five millionths to 50 millionths of a volt. If you had enough scalps hooked up you might be able to light a flashlight bulb.

Even though this electrical power is very limited, it does occur in very specific ways that are characteristic of the human brain. Electrical activity emanating from the brain is displayed in the form of brainwaves. There are four categories of these brainwaves, ranging from the most activity to the least activity. When the brain is aroused and actively engaged in mental activities, it generates beta waves. These beta waves are of relatively low amplitude, and are the fastest of the four different brainwaves. The frequency of beta waves ranges from 15 to 40 cycles a second. Beta waves are characteristics of a strongly engaged mind. A person in active conversation would be in beta. A debater would be in high beta. A person making a speech, or a teacher, or a talk show host would all be in beta when they are engaged in their work.
The next brainwave category in order of frequency is alpha. Where beta represented arousal, alpha represents non-arousal. Alpha brainwaves are slower, and higher in amplitude. Their frequency ranges from 9 to 14 cycles per second. A person who has completed a task and sits down to rest is often in an alpha state. A person who takes time out to reflect or meditate is usually in an alpha state. A person who takes a break from a conference and walks in the garden is often in an alpha state.

The next state, theta brainwaves, are typically of even greater amplitude and slower frequency. This frequency range is normally between 5 and 8 cycles a second. A person who has taken time off from a task and begins to daydream is often in a theta brainwave state. A person who is driving on a freeway, and discovers that they can't recall the last five miles, is often in a theta state--induced by the process of freeway driving. The repetitious nature of that form of driving compared to a country road would differentiate a theta state and a beta state in order to perform the driving task safely.

Individuals who do a lot of freeway driving often get good ideas during those periods when they are in theta. Individuals who run outdoors often are in the state of mental relaxation that is slower than alpha and when in theta, they are prone to a flow of ideas. This can also occur in the shower or tub or even while shaving or brushing your hair. It is a state where tasks become so automatic that you can mentally disengage from them. The ideation that can take place during the theta state is often free flow and occurs without censorship or guilt. It is typically a very positive mental state.

The final brainwave state is delta. Here the brainwaves are of the greatest amplitude and slowest frequency. They typically center around a range of 1.5 to 4 cycles per second. They never go down to zero because that would mean that you were brain dead. But, deep dreamless sleep would take you down to the lowest frequency. Typically, 2 to 3 cycles a second.

When we go to bed and read for a few minutes before attempting sleep, we are likely to be in low beta. When we put the book down, turn off the lights and close our eyes, our brainwaves will descend from beta, to alpha, to theta and finally, when we fall asleep, to delta.

It is a well known fact that humans dream in 90 minute cycles. When the delta brainwave frequencies increase into the frequency of theta brainwaves, active dreaming takes place and often becomes more experiential to the person. Typically, when this occurs there is rapid eye movement, which is characteristic of active dreaming. This is called REM, and is a well known phenomenon.

When an individual awakes from a deep sleep in preparation for getting up, their brainwave frequencies will increase through the different specific stages of brainwave activity. That is, they will increase from delta to theta and then to alpha and finally, when the alarm goes off, into beta. If that individual hits the snooze alarm button they will drop in frequency to a non-aroused state, or even into theta, or sometimes fall back to sleep in delta. During this awakening cycle it is possible for individuals to stay in the theta state for an extended period of say, five to 15 minutes--which would allow them to have a free flow of ideas about yesterday's events or to contemplate the activities of the forthcoming day. This time can be an extremely productive and can be a period of very meaningful and creative mental activity.

In summary, there are four brainwave states that range from the high amplitude, low frequency delta to the low amplitude, high frequency beta. These brainwave states range from deep dreamless sleep to high arousal. The same four brainwave states are common to the human species. Men, women and children of all ages experience the same characteristic brainwaves. They are consistent across cultures and country boundaries.

Research has shown that although one brainwave state may predominate at any given time, depending on the activity level of the individual, the remaining three brain states are present in the mix of brainwaves at all times. In other words, while somebody is an aroused state and exhibiting a beta brainwave pattern, there also exists in that person's brain a component of alpha, theta and delta, even though these may be present only at the trace level.

Secondly tea properties are widely researched by now both by conservative and alternative sources.
It appears that article you quoted contradicts your comment at the end. Also it appears that this article presents some halftruths - I am refering mostly to the anticancerogenic effect of green tea in humans.
Here are some facts about tea which I gathered from diferent scientific sources so you can draw your own conclusions.

All varieties of tea come from the leaves of a single evergreen plant, Camellia sinensis. All tea leaves are picked, rolled, dried, and heated. With the additional process of allowing the leaves to ferment and oxidize, black tea is produced. Possibly because it is less processed, green tea contains higher levels of antioxidants than black tea.

Although tea is consumed in a variety of ways and varies in its chemical makeup, one study showed steeping either green or black tea for about five minutes released over 80 percent of its catechins. Instant iced tea, on the other hand, contains negligible amounts of catechins (1).

In the laboratory, studies have shown tea catechins act as powerful inhibitors of cancer growth in several ways: They scavenge oxidants before cell injuries occur, reduce the incidence and size of chemically induced tumors, and inhibit the growth of tumor cells. In studies of liver, skin and stomach cancer, chemically induced tumors were shown to decrease in size in mice that were fed green and black tea (1, 2).

Although tea has long been identified as an antioxidant in the laboratory, study results involving humans have been contradictory. Some epidemiological studies comparing tea drinkers to non-tea drinkers support the claim that drinking tea prevents cancer; others do not. Dietary, environmental, and population differences may account for these inconsistencies.

Two studies in China, where green tea is a mainstay of the diet, resulted in promising findings. One study involving over 18,000 men found tea drinkers were about half as likely to develop stomach or esophageal cancer as men who drank little tea, even after adjusting for smoking and other health and diet factors (3). A second study at the Beijing Dental Hospital found consuming 3 grams of tea a day, or about 2 cups, along with the application of a tea extract reduced the size and proliferation of leukoplakia, a precancerous oral plaque (1).

However, a study in the Netherlands did not support these findings. It investigated the link between black tea consumption and the subsequent risk of stomach, colorectal, lung, and breast cancers among 58,279 men and 62,573 women ages 55 to 69. The study took into account such factors as smoking and overall diet. It found no link between tea consumption and protection against cancer (4).

Now when we talk about the anticancerogenic effect of the tea in humans I have to say that gneral controversy around this issue may be indicative that medical establishment and pharmaceutical mafia are trying to hide something. But that is just my opinion.

And lastly could you please state where in the article this doctor mentions flouride in the tea?!
I read this article few times and couldnt find such statment?!

Deckard said:
And lastly could you please state where in the article this doctor mentions flouride in the tea?!
I think the fluoride comment was sarcasm on D Rusak's part. High concentrations of fluoride are often found in commercially produced tea because the plant picks it up from the toxic fertilizer they use. I think the sarcasm was in line with his subtle hint that most American spend a great deal of their time in a disassociated state, opening the door for mass hypnosis. I don't quite agree that tea is a culprit though.

Well, I ve been to america several times
cant say i noticed significant consumption of green tea :)

I think the general consensus is that tea does more good than harm. From Deckard I found the different stages of sleep very interesting .

I think the active ingredients in tea have a positive reaction in dealing with stress as opposed to a sedative one. I think the distinction is quite different. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5405686.stm
:
75 young male regular tea drinkers were split into two groups and monitored for six weeks. The study of black tea - instead of green or herbal varieties - found it helps cut levels of the stress hormone cortisol circulating in the blood.
They found people who drank tea were able to de-stress more quickly than those who drank a tea substitute.[...] in one task, volunteers were exposed to one of three stressful situations (threat of unemployment, a shop-lifting accusation or an incident in a nursing home), where they had to prepare a verbal response and argue their case in front of a camera.
The tasks triggered substantial increases in blood pressure, heart rate and subjective stress ratings in both of the groups.
However, 50 minutes after the task, cortisol levels had dropped by an average of 47% in the tea-drinking group compared with 27% in the fake tea group.
wikipedia would support thishttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green-tea
Green tea has also been claimed to reduce stress and produce alpha waves. This is thought to be due to high antioxidant levels and the presence of l-theanine, which is a glutamate analog present in green tea that can cross the blood-brain barrier and reduce glutamate excitotoxicity during stress and ischemia.
interestingly monsodium glutamate and aspartame (nutrasweet) are two major culprits of exitotoxicity (pathological process by which neurons are damaged and killed by the overactivations of receptors - wiki)
I enjoy and drink a lot of green tea so I will defend it with passion.

just a passing remark
wikipedia is a very questionable source of information :)
I have personally stumbled across alot of disinformation there
mostly regarding history of balkans

I guess as with anything, the devil is always in the details.

Prepared Tea
============
1. Crushed plant(s)
2. Water
3. Packaging/Materials
4. External environmental factors, including 1, 2, 3.

Is the tea-plant genetically modified?
Is the tea plant really a tea plant and not something else?
When growing tea, how and where was it grown and in what environment?
Was any "additives" used?
Was fertilizer used, if so what is it?
What was added to the soil?
What is in the soil? What is the soil's properties?
---- Does it have chemials in it?
arsenic? florine? anything else?
Near a chemical plant?
Near a nuclear plant? Delpleted uranium?
Near farm animals?
---- Does it have biological agents in it?
Near farm animals?
Was 'hormones' other biologocal agents used?
Was Human/Animal excretement used?
Any anthrax? Other mutated bioagents?
Any strains/mutations of e-coli?
Anything else?

Where are the "impurities" coming from?
Is there a standard for certifying product 'purity'?
Is there anything listed as to NOT to use with this product?
Such as not to consume alcohol, other drugs, etc.
Are there 'side effects' of using this product?
- will it cause allergic reactions to some people?

This list and go on and on.

If anything, I am quite dubious of advertising frenzies from anyone making
marketing claims as to health benefits. The motive is to make money first
and foremost and Mfrs will follow a standard in order to meet product liability
in legal terms so as to shield themselves from all possible unexpected events.
Green Tea for example has been around a long time, and then SUDDENLY
it becomes a DISCOVERY! WHOOHA! HEY!!! COME AND GET IT!! ITS
GOOD FOR YOU! (Teeth sparkles with a green reflection and a huge smile)

I still believe that controlling your own food source (such as growing/raising
your own food the natural way) is your only safest path into protecting
your own health. Putting your health in a faceless manufacturer's hand is
quite simply putting yourself at risk and it is anyone's guess just how long
you may get to live. OSIT

Good point about wikipedia Deckard. It is laziness and inexperience of researching on my part. being new to this forum and objectivity a certain amount of seeing what i want to see creeps in, any advice or direction on objective research methods would be appreciated. If i don't have first hand experience of a topic where best to get reliable information? I reach for wiki becuase of its accessibility and my familiarity with it. I had also developed trust after reading what i thought to be extensive and rigourous mediating when a non neutral point of view was presented (about gold). Admittedly the 'non neutral pov' is simply a view that the wiki team do not agree with.

I agree with Dant about marketing of health benefits. It encourages consumption for products that we just don't need. It is incredible just how tenuous links with health backed up with a 'medical study' need to be for them to make headline news. It is nice for people to believe their daily fix is doing them good. It is not always practical to be self sufficient in every food stuff but i suppose being diligent and sourcing the best quality products from reliable sources would reduce risk.

didn't the C's say that it is healthiest (mentally and physically) to be either meticulous about every food stuff/chemical that one consumes or just accept there will be toxins in almost everything we consume so not worry about it. No middle ground. Or am i misinterpretting?

Back
Top Bottom