The Chive

Dylan

Jedi
So, there's this website/app that basically prides itself on being able to distract it's customers from reality and offers pictures of lovely ladies and all sorts of other distracting materials. On the one hand, people seem to be hugely attracted to the site perhaps because of its apolitical nature, but on the other it is an overtly American and patriotic site. Alcohol use is glorified, as are the concepts of female beauty only found in Cosmo or other mags.

However, there is a very important part of this site which seems to perform an unimpeachable service to others. The Chive Charities program has certainly lifted the lives of some from intolerable situations and has done some great things in respect to giving back to the humanity that supports it.

I suspect that these folks are young entrepreneurs that stumbled upon an idea which has taken off, so to speak, and has become a worldwide phenomenon. While they do glorify the 'troops' and a generally superficial understanding of beauty, their service to others cannot be taken lightly. It seems that they are genuinely good people who have used their unique position as gamechangers, so to speak, to simply find images that amuse them or attract them and then take the proceeds and pay for their lifestyles as well as give back to the best of their abilities. That said, it seems a very materialistic site, but I detect a deeper understanding of reality than on the part of its original creation team, than one might expect.

I'm wondering what you folks think of the site/movement and whether it fits the bill of new age cointelpro or is something different entirely?

Hi Dylan,

I presume you are talking about the site "the Chivedotcom" .

Just looking at the site map:

Girls :rolleyes:

Hump Day :-[

Hot Women :P

Mind the Gap :scared:

Funny photos and funny videos ;)

With headlines like those what honestly makes you think this is a disinfo site? When you say it is overtly American and Patriotic, and that Alcohol use is glorified, why on earth would you then post this on this forum? Are you aware of what the objectives of this forum are?

That said, it seems a very materialistic site, but I detect a deeper understanding of reality than on the part of its original creation team, than one might expect.

Why exactly do you detect a deeper understanding of reality?

Kinyash

I understand the forum guidelines and rules, but there seems to be very little regarding overt methods of distraction. To me it is an interesting, almost paradoxical site because while it does have and support a materialistic agenda, the folks there also devote much of their time and efforts in an STO nature. Perhaps there is something to be learned? Basically, they photo document almost all of their activities, and provide humour along the way, and in so doing provide a window into their minds, so to speak.

While it seems they are materialistic and objectify women, it is not as if they are forcing anyone to send them pictures. Perhaps they have simply understood what drives red blooded men to click in something and know how to draw them in for the purposes of giving back as best as they can. Their charity fundraising ability is phenomenal. See where I'm going?

I ask questions when I'm torn, I do like the site and wonder if intellectually, I'm doing the same thing as eating too many carbs by visiting the site? Do any of you have guilty pleasures like that?

Hey Dylan, fwiw, I see what you're saying, but I'm not sure this could really be held up as an example of something beneficial to society. They may contribute to charities, which is awesome, but what is the trade-off in relation to all the A-influences they peddle? ( if you're not familiar with that term, see here: _http://glossary.cassiopaea.com/glossary.php?id=907 )

I guess my point is, if you're super charitable, but all you talk about is boobs & ass & 'murica, the charity is just that - charity. The rest of what they do is disposable, in my opinion...

Hi Dylan,

I'm not sure if this answers your questions or if you've come across it in your search, but there is this thread on Positive Dissociation that may help. :)

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,14103.msg108187.html#msg108187

Fair enough, and thanks for the glossary reference. As I go through this forum, I'm struck with the ease my little I's have been able to hoodwink and subvert that true I who knows which things are counterproductive in pursuit of the work.

At least, when the chive does charity, it seems genuine and not done strictly for tax sheltering benefits! Thanks for listening, just casting off some preconceived chains over here!

Just reading through the positive dissociation thread, and I would say that the chive doesn't fit. Better to read a book or watch a movie for sure!

Dylan said:
While it seems they are materialistic and objectify women, it is not as if they are forcing anyone to send them pictures. Perhaps they have simply understood what drives red blooded men to click in something and know how to draw them in for the purposes of giving back as best as they can. Their charity fundraising ability is phenomenal. See where I'm going?

Sure. Kindness and altruistic motives can appear in all kind of forms. But as the saying goes, the devil is in the details.

Here's an example. Do you remember the recent ice bucket challenge craze? Everyone did it. It was all over the net, and there are countless videos of celebrities and politicians doing it. Beside the videos a lot of money was donated to the cause. So I guess you can call it a success, a moment when human kindness claimed victory over indifference, right? Maybe. But then, we still have torture, we still have psychopaths in power, people are still unaware of the cosmic thread, and this planet is going to hell, if not already there. Realistically speaking, after all the fuzzy and good feeling hoopla, the cause didn't change anything for the better for humanity. It just deepened the illusion for those who want to think they are contributing.

So yeah, good deeds are important, and you could say that maybe thanks to them humanity still has some sort of chance, but what kind of better future can be created, and what kind of different example can be given to others, when sites like this continue to perpetrate the same pathological thinking and behavior? How giving with one hand but taking with another is going to help anyone to create a better future? fwiw.

I'm here to learn, and part of that is casting off the shell of a life that was guided by the illusions cast by a world run by pathologicals. I suppose, if the chive were in fact dedicated to STO behaviour and not in the indulgences of a sick western society, in the hedonism of a culture which supports war an depravity, then it would have been co-opted and turned or shut down many years ago.

Thanks for your replies, I'm deleting the app and don't think I'll be going back.

To put the amount of charitable giving in perspective, this 2013 article says:

"Leo [Resig] confirms that the site has a revenue stream well over $50 million and possibly approaching $100 million annually."
- _http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-10-17/the-chives-founders-john-and-leo-resig-master-millennial-marketing

The Chive Charities page says:

"To date, Chive Charities has helped over 50 underfunded causes with over $2.0 Million in grants. In addition, Chive Charities has inspired Chive Nation to raise an additional $1.6 Million in flash charity funding, for a total of $3.6 Million for the underdog, orphaned causes."
_http://chivecharities.org/

Even though the site does contribute and "give back" to sick children, wounded veterans and charities, I'm not sure this qualifies as a STO oriented site. They overwhelmingly push and encourage "getting wasted", taking pictures of yourself in bikinis and lingerie, and heavily, heavily promote sex ("why would you get out of bed" albums) and overall mindless, STS behavior. Throw in a little bit of charity work, and boom, now everyone thinks your the good guy.

I think if you want to look at a site like that for kicks, then go ahead. But it's a dangerous path when you begin to justify their content by looking at the "good" they do for the world. Giving money to help out a few folks is little in comparison to the damage they do to the millions of viewers they influence to continue on with their STS acts IMHO.

It sounds to me like the site is full of people that run narratives in order to justify the bawdy and lude acts that they revere. Sort of saying, "Hey we give lots of money to charities, so we are just fine objectifying women and promoting alcohol and degrading behavior."

And yes, the women are not forced to take provocative photos of themselves, but as long as there is a market for this, and those that visit these kinds of sites contribute to this, a lot of women will continue to think that this is an appropriate way to get attention instead of exploring their actual divine femininity. It is a nasty feedback loop. OSIT.

This seems to be the case, which is why I have chosen to avoid in this guilty pleasure of the past. The cassiopaea site gives opportunity for growth and maturity, if one allows it.

Back
Top Bottom