The Dark Side of "The Secret"

Ronnie

Jedi
This is the main page.... I really enjoyed all of them, hope you do to....

__http://www(dot)youtube.com/watch?v=80zAdmRcdSQ&feature=PlayList&p=7D6F26660CA14C1A&index=0

<<SNIP>>
a Must see, you need to know this in your life, its what its all about, here it is for you, you have attracted this to you...

Re: The Secret Video Clips 1 - 9

What's ur take on this 'secret' issue? Do you believe any of the stuff being said there? ( or are you just being sarcastic? )

I remember enrolling on the email updates to get clues as to this big 'secret'. The day finally arrived, and the 'secret' was out. I paid my 5USD for the streaming online video, and boy was i disappointed. A reinvention of Tony Robbins self motivation seminars. These dudes justify 'secret societies'.

After being exposed to objective discussion and interaction on this forum, these 'secret' dudes and dudettes seem crazy to me with their blatant subjectivity and belief-suspension.
In my opinion, the 'secret' is the same new age fluff of 'create your own reality', .......just repackaged.

What's ur take on this 'secret' issue?

**Well,... I don't think there's anything NEW about the new age.

Do you believe any of the stuff being said there?

**Absolutely! Haven't you ever had a bad day and it just got worse and worse until you changed your mindset?
Yes, I believe in Universal Law.

( or are you just being sarcastic? )
**Where did THAT come from? I always try to be as pleasant as can be, and I'm Not going to Mirror You.

I remember enrolling on the email updates to get clues as to this big 'secret'. The day finally arrived, and the 'secret' was out. I paid my 5USD for the streaming online video, and boy was i disappointed. A reinvention of Tony Robbins self motivation seminars. These dudes justify 'secret societies'.

**Sorry you had to pay, here it is for FREE..... Sorry, you didn't get anything of value from it.
Happy Day... Ronnie

Ronnie said:
a Must see, you need to know this in your life, its what its all about, here it is for you, you have attracted this to you...
I find this statement a bit disconcerting, to say the least. Are you seriously saying that 'this is what it is all about'? Are you honestly making an attempt at abridging free will by telling anyone that 'this is what you need to know in your life'? And, if I may be so bold to ask, what the heck does "you have attracted this to you" mean?

If you aren't being sarcastic, I'm afraid that you truly have no idea what it is we do here - and what it is we try very hard to not do, like propogating disinformation, and fuzzy, love and light nonsense that will ensure all who buy into it become very tasty food indeed.

And...

Life is religion. Life experiences reflect how one interacts with God. Those who are asleep are those of little faith in terms of their interaction with the creation. Some people think that the world exists for them to overcome or ignore or shut out. For those individuals, the worlds will cease. They will become exactly what they give to life. They will become merely a dream in the "past." People who pay strict attention to objective reality right and left, become the reality of the "Future."

If, however, you are being sarcastic by even bringing this up, I apologize for the strong reaction...yet...somehow it seems there is no sarcasm in your post, and that is what I find most disconcerting of all.

<<SNIP>> MEANS JUST THAT, if you look at the site, it is a quote from there. A <<SNIP>> is to give the reader an IDEA of what the clip is about. "I DIDN"T SAY IT"!........ Why are so many, so touchy?... I really thought some would enjoy it. As I did....

<<SNIP>>" FROM THE WEB SITE" http://www(dot)youtube.com/view_play_list?p=7D6F26660CA14C1A

SECRET
10:00
Tags: Universe knowing wishing thinking loveing help
Added: 4 weeks ago
Views: 6,555

Then, I suppose, the obvious question is why did you enjoy it?

Ronnie said:
"I DIDN"T SAY IT"!........
You did not quote neither.
And yes, why did you enjoyed it?

Hold on, Let me get a hard hat and my kevlar vest...... brb

What I enjoyed about the clips is how they talked about how negative energy comes back to YOU. Not Love and Light fluff rather HOW you think about what you think. I don't feel these people are psychopaths nor are they passing on bad information. NO they don't have all the information that Laura has however, that doesn't make them EVIL.

Sorry, I didn't see this topic on the DO NOT TALK ABOUT LIST. I didn't mean any harm or dis info, just sharing something I felt interesting. I DID see all 9 parts, maybe that made a difference.

You may not be FOOD but your compassion points are very low. And NO I didn't quote, I <<SNIPPED>>
You are both on the edge Intimidating, Rude and Bullying....

RULE One, don't harass people, or flame them, or really make them want to flame you.

RULE Five,we the moderators reserve the right to do anything and everything we see fit to ensure a friendly comfortable environment for our guests; OH YEAH, you are a moderator.

The Secret seems to be centered around 'The Science of Getting Rich', which might as well be renamed to ''The Science of Getting Bob Proctor Rich'. But please correct me if I am wrong, Ronnie.

http://www(dot)bobproctor.com/shopping

salleles : The Secret seems to be centered around 'The Science of Getting Rich',

**That's ONE of the topics in the clips, It's the ONE thing 99% identify with and remember. Like you did. Other topics were Health, Jobs, How the Brain works, Bully's, Peaceful thoughts, How were all connected, How if your miserable your not in line with your goals/ your true self, creating a vision board,....... etc.

I guess If you put out books or movies you have a good chance of making money. Bob Rroctor or anyone else. So, your not wrong they do talk about cash flow, Sorry, that all you remember.

Ronnie wrote:

That's ONE of the topics in the clips. It's the ONE thing 99% identify with and remember. Like you did.

You are right, I overlooked the other guests. Here are some of them:

Metaphysian Joe Vitale

"If you're interested in marketing, copywriting, publicity, or advertising, you've come to the right place. On this site you will learn the very techniques that Dr. Vitale has used for over 25 years to become known as one of the world's most powerful copywriters and marketing minds."

http://www(dot)mrfire.com

Inspirational speaker Esther Hicks

"Next time you feel any discomfort... stop in the middle of it and say to yourself, "This discomfort that I'm feeling is nothing more than my own awareness of resistance. Time for me to relax and breathe. Relax and breathe. Relax and breathe. And you can, in seconds, bring yourself back into comfort."

http://www(dot)abraham-hicks.com

Harmonic Wealth� James Ray

"My name is James Ray, and if you nod your head "yes" to at least some of the following, you've certainly come to the right place...
You simply (and deeply) want to make more money and become more successful...
You want to double, triple, even multiply by ten the size of your business..."

http://www(dot)jamesray.com

Spiritual Director Michael Beckwith

In 1986, Dr. Beckwith's inner vision revealed a world united on an ethical basis of humankind's highest spiritual and social development. As founder and spiritual director of the Agape International Spiritual Center one of the most rapidly expanding transdenominational spiritual communities with a membership 9000 strong and 35,000 friends worldwide his goal remains the same: to build community, locally and globally.

http://www(dot)lightstreamers.com/Michael_Beckwith.htm

Ronnie, you appear to have a very deep emotional investment in these 'The Secret' videos - so much so that being questioned about them, or challenged to explain your fascination with them has caused you to feel attacked, or so it surely appears.

Ronnie said:
Hold on, Let me get a hard hat and my kevlar vest...... brb
Sarcasm and defensiveness

Ronnie said:
What I enjoyed about the clips is how they talked about how negative energy comes back to YOU. Not Love and Light fluff rather HOW you think about what you think. I don't feel these people are psychopaths nor are they passing on bad information. NO they don't have all the information that Laura has however, that doesn't make them EVIL.
Okay, can you explain this mechanism in which 'negative energy comes back to you' - also, I am having trouble figuring out where 'EVIL' comes in to play, since no one has used that word.

Ronnie said:
Sorry, I didn't see this topic on the DO NOT TALK ABOUT LIST. I didn't mean any harm or dis info, just sharing something I felt interesting. I DID see all 9 parts, maybe that made a difference.
More sarcasm (which is rarely, if ever, helpful) and it is nice that you find it interesting, however, I fail to see how you finding this interesting is relevant in any way, shape, or form since it is material that is clearly self-serving.

Ronnie said:
You may not be FOOD but your compassion points are very low. And NO I didn't quote, I <<SNIPPED>>
You are both on the edge Intimidating, Rude and Bullying....
Actually, I am food - we are all food - every single day. Your impression that I am rude or bullying, however, seems to be directly tied to the obvious emotional investment you have in these videos. Why is that?

Ronnie said:
RULE One, don't harass people, or flame them, or really make them want to flame you.

RULE Five,we the moderators reserve the right to do anything and everything we see fit to ensure a friendly comfortable environment for our guests; OH YEAH, you are a moderator.
That's nice - once again resorting to sarcasm and feeling attacked because of a 'teaching' (and I use the word very loosely) that you are obviously emotionally attached to - a 'teaching' that is clearly self-serving, subjective and, from all appearances, and the comments of others, (not only the evil moderator) not at all what this forum is interested in.

And this?

Ronnie said:
salleles : The Secret seems to be centered around 'The Science of Getting Rich',

**That's ONE of the topics in the clips
Why is it alright that this is a subject at all???? Not to mention the fact that Salleles clearly points out that it is far more than just a tiny portion - Feel free to 'make yourself feel better' with this type of thing, that is your free will - however, do not expect to bring them up on this forum and not be challenged on such obvious new age mumbo jumbo. You were scratched, very lightly, and your response to that is very telling, or so it seems.

I am not a moderator. And I share anart's points.
See, there is a selling actitude on both the material you propose, and your presentation of it. You should know this is not very appreciated around here.
If you had said insted, 'what do you think of this material?', you would not be feeling too hot under that vest.
Use the holes anart and salleles put on it for ventilation: Breath the free air!

The dark side of "The Secret"

I always felt that "The Secret" had a dark side to it all....its over-focus on the material plane and over-simplification always disturbed me. Yes, there is truth to it and we do create our reality, however it certainly is not as black and white and as easy as portrayed through this "in"-film. It's becoming more and more like a religion/cult where people buy into it all without questioning it. Yes, I fell for it too and I own a copy, I admit it, but the more I see it, its marketing and contemplate on it, the more I can see a very dark side to it all with people not getting the point/depth of it all. It's almost enrougaing the consumer/capatalisitc way of life which runs like a disease through this world, disconnected form nature, like a tumor it spreads.......I really hope people get the essence of it, look deeper and don't get stuck in the superficlal level the film portrays.

I found this article which also looks at Oprah, which is quite interesting, because I always felt she's the anti-christ, more evil than W. Bush (he's way too obvious), in a very twisted, dark and not-so-obvious way. I'm NOT kidding. She looks like a reptile already. See could be Condoleeza Rice's sister. There are billboards of her in LA which just give me the chills looking at them....I really don't know why...it's an instant reaction. Her eyes are empty....like no one's at home.

Oprah's ugly secret

By continuing to hawk "The Secret," a mishmash of offensive self-help cliches, Oprah Winfrey is squandering her goodwill and influence, and preaching to the world that mammon is queen.

By Peter Birkenhead

'... The main idea of "The Secret" is that people need only visualize what they want in order to get it -- and the book certainly has created instant wealth, at least for Rhonda Byrne and her partners-in-con. And the marketing idea behind it -- the enlisting of that dream team, in what is essentially a massive, cross-promotional pyramid scheme -- is brilliant. But what really makes "The Secret" more than a variation on an old theme is the involvement of Oprah Winfrey, who lends the whole enterprise more prestige, and, because of that prestige, more venality, than any previous self-help scam. Oprah hasn't just endorsed "The Secret"; she's championed it, put herself at the apex of its pyramid, and helped create a symbiotic economy of New Age quacks that almost puts OPEC to shame.

Why "venality"? Because, with survivors of Auschwitz still alive, Oprah writes this about "The Secret" on her Web site, "the energy you put into the world -- both good and bad -- is exactly what comes back to you. This means you create the circumstances of your life with the choices you make every day." "Venality," because Oprah, in the age of AIDS, is advertising a book that says, "You cannot 'catch' anything unless you think you can, and thinking you can is inviting it to you with your thought." "Venality," because Oprah, from a studio within walking distance of Chicago's notorious Cabrini Green Projects, pitches a book that says, "The only reason any person does not have enough money is because they are blocking money from coming to them with their thoughts."

Worse than "The Secret's" blame-the-victim idiocy is its baldfaced bullshitting.

They maintain that the universe is governed by the principle that "like attracts like" and that our thoughts are like magnets: Positive thoughts attract positive events and negative thoughts attract negative events. Of course, magnets do exactly the opposite -- positively charged magnets attract negatively charged particles -- and the rest of "The Secret" has a similar relationship to the truth. Here it is on biblical history: "Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, and Jesus were not only prosperity teachers, but also millionaires themselves, with more affluent lifestyles than many present-day millionaires could conceive of." And worse than the idiocy and the bullshitting is its anti-intellectualism, because that's at the root of the other two. Here's "The Secret" on reading and, um, electricity: "When I discovered 'The Secret' I made a decision that I would not watch the news or read newspapers anymore, because it did not make me feel good," and, "How does it work? Nobody knows. Just like nobody knows how electricity works. I don't, do you?" And worst of all is the craven consumerist worldview at the heart of "The Secret,"

... Oprah has a reputation for doing good -- she probably has more perceived moral authority than anyone in this country -- and she has done a lot of good. But in light of her zealous support of a book that says, in this time of entrenched, systemic, institutionalized poverty, this time of no-bid contracts for war profiteers and heckuva-job governance, that "you can have, be, or do anything," isn't it reasonable to ask about why she does what she does, and the way she does it?

Oprah recently opened, with much fanfare, the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy in South Africa, and as I watched the network news stories about it, I couldn't get "The Secret" out of my mind. I kept wondering what would happen if professor Sam Mhlongo, South Africa's chief family practitioner who famously said that HIV doesn't cause AIDS, read about Oprah's connection to "The Secret" and found support there for his claim. I wondered if the students of the academy would read "The Secret" and start to believe that their parents deserved to be poor, or that the people of Darfur summoned the Janjaweed with "bad thoughts." Will the heavier girls be told, as readers of "The Secret" are, that food doesn't cause weight gain -- thinking about weight gain does? Will they be told to not even look at fat people, as "The Secret" advises? Oprah is already promoting these ideas to her television audience. Why wouldn't she espouse them to her students?

...And at what point do we stop feeling like we have to take the good with the craven when it comes to Oprah, and the culture she's helped to create? I get nauseated when I think of people in South Africa being taught they don't have enough money because they're "blocking it with their thoughts." I'm already sickened by an American culture that teaches people, as "The Secret" does, that they "create the circumstances of their lives with the choices they make every day," a culture that elected a president who cried tears of self-congratulation at his inauguration, rejects intellectualism, and believes he can intuit the trustworthiness of world leaders by looking into their eyes. I'm sickened by a culture in which the tenets of the Oprah philosophy have become conventional wisdom, in which genuine self-actualization has been confused with self-aggrandizement, reality is whatever you want it to be, and mammon is queen...

... "Secret"-style belief is a perfect product. Like Coca-Cola, it goes down easy and makes the consumer thirsty for more. It's unthreateningly simple, and a lot more facile, sentimental and, perhaps paradoxically, intractable than the old-fashioned kind of belief. Like Amway, it enlists its consumers as unofficial salespeople, and the people who constitute its market feel like they're part of a fold. It's indistinguishable from, and inextricably bound up in, the Oprah idea of self-esteem, the kind of confidence you get not from testing yourself, but from "believing" in yourself. This modern idea of faith isn't arrived at the old-fashioned way, by asking questions, but by getting answers. Instead of inquiry we have born-again epiphanies and cheesy self-help books -- we have excuses for not engaging in inquiry at all. Let other people schlep down the road to Damascus; we'll have Amazon send Damascus to us.

That "Secret"-style faith, whether it's in God, or in one's own preordained destiny to be an "American Idol," which takes all of a moment to achieve, is perhaps its most important selling point. Here's "The Secret" on arriving at faith: "Ask once, believe you have received, and all you have to do to receive is feel good." The kind of faith that couldn't be reached by shortcut, the confidence of the great doubters and worriers, of Moses and Abraham Lincoln and Jesus Christ, has been replaced by the insta-certainty and inflated "self-esteem" of "The Secret's" believers.

Books like "The Secret" have created, and are feeding, an enormously diverse market of disciples, and they're thriving in every corner of the culture, in megachurches and movies, politics and pop music, in sports arenas and state boards of education. Oprah has far more in common with George Bush than either would like to admit, and so do the psychics of Marin County, Calif., and the creationists of Kansas. The believers come from all walks of life, but they work the same way -- mostly by bastardizing and warping source materials, from the Bible to the Bhagavad Gita, to make them fit their worldview.

The authors of "The Secret" sell "control" in the form of "empowerment" and "quiet" in the form of belief, not consciousness...

... Not that any of this is new. Aimee Semple McPherson, "The Power of Positive Thinking," Father Coughlin, est, James Van Praagh -- pick your influential snake-oil salesman or snake oil. They were all cut from the same cloth as Oprah and "The Secret." The big, big difference is, well, the bigness. The infinitely bigger reach of the Oprah empire and its emissaries. They make their predecessors look like kids with lemonade stands. It would be stupidly dangerous to dismiss Oprah and "The Secret" as silly, or ultimately meaningless. They're reaching more people than Harry Potter (which is no different than the Secret only evil). That's why what Oprah does matters, and stinks. If you reach more people than Bill O'Reilly, if you have better name recognition than Nelson Mandela, if the books you endorse sell more than Stephen King's, you should take some responsibility for your effect on the culture. The most powerful woman in the world is taking advantage of people who are desperate for meaning, by passionately championing a product that mocks the very idea of a meaningful life.

That means something.

from http://www.salon[dot]com/mwt/feature/2007/03/05/the_secret/

The dark side of "The Secret"

That's a cracking article, thanx for posting!

Loved this line:

Let other people schlep down the road to Damascus; we'll have Amazon send Damascus to us.

Back
Top Bottom