The intrigue of spirals

JGeropoulas

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I've read that the oldest symbol found on earth is a spiral. DNA is a spiral. Galaxies are spirals. Spirals viewed from the side appear as waves. Energy moves in waves (or spirals?) Some propose that time "flows" in a spiral.

John Edmark, an artist, designer and inventor who also teaches at Stanford University explains why he is so intrigued by spirals: "Spirals are beautiful. But even more, they make reference to the fact that you can never return to the same place again, that nothing ever does truly repeat. They go infinitely small, and infinitely large. It's endless. We don't know where we came from. And we don't know where we're going. And we're just sort of this piece of that larger picture."

Here's a look at his beautiful and intriguing spiral creations and animations:

A beautiful voice, wonderful lyrics, and great visuals:
"Like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel, never ending or beginning, on an ever spinning reel...like the circles that you find, in the windmills of your mind..."

Breo

Jedi Master
FOTCM Member
Thank you so much, JGeroupulas for this inspiration! Both videos are awesome.
Since having been in art school long time ago, I have been drawn to this symbol.

Now I checked:
Etymologically, the word ‘spiral’ springs from ancient roots inextricably bound up with ideas of creation, life-giving and aspiration — from the Latin spiralis or spira, and the Greek speira, meaning a spire or coilas, as well as from the Latin spirare, meaning ‘to breathe,’ as in expire and inspire.
Its stunning how often in nature's design the spiral form is chosen from flowers or the Nautilus to the helix of the DNA...maybe telling us that the Creative forces of the Universe breath in and out as an infinite inspiration.🙂

JGeropoulas

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Thank you so much, JGeroupulas for this inspiration! Both videos are awesome.
Since having been in art school long time ago, I have been drawn to this symbol.

Now I checked:

Its stunning how often in nature's design the spiral form is chosen from flowers or the Nautilus to the helix of the DNA...maybe telling us that the Creative forces of the Universe breath in and out as an infinite inspiration.🙂
I'm glad you enjoyed the videos. In addition to the spiral arrangement of petals, seeds, etc. based on the Golden Angle derived from the Golden Ratio, nature also arranges such things in groups according to Fibonacci numbers, also derived from the Golden Ratio. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/db/34*21-FibonacciBlocks.png/450px-34*21-FibonacciBlocks.png

An alternate explanation for the word "spiral" is provided in "The Lost Magic Of Christianity" (Ch. 1, pg 18) by Michael Poynter in reference to Stonehenge, which he proposes was built around a high-energy center point created by the intersection of underground streams of water, which may've originally bubbled up as springs of healing water (note that the word "spring" today refers to a spiral of metal): "S" is a graphic of a spiral; "pi" is the mathematical constant representing the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter; "Ra" is the sun; "L" is the Roman Numeral for 50, alluding to the 50/50 ratio of sunlight to darkness (the latter 2 related to the piezoelectric characteristics of the circles of stones composing Stonehenge).

Haiku

Jedi
Spirals, now we are talking.

Tree’s that spiral, Why Do Trees Form Spiral Grain?: The Gymnosperm Database in both directions.

Water that spins when draining, in one direction in the northern hemisphere (clockwise) and the opposing direction in the southern hemisphere. I call this the natural spin.

And what does it mean when you spiral with the natural spin versus spiraling against the natural spin.

I state this as I found something that I reviewed earlier. It was the mound of Silbury Hill, and the spiral that I found in it. Clockwise is the natural spin in the northern hemisphere. This mound, if my assumptions are correct, spirals against the natural spin. The Forgotten and Lost, from Times Past, Silbury Hill …

I am sure that this has something to do with connecting to the ley lines, the energy flow of the planet. The stream is flowing fast, and you have to slow it down to read it. By using a spiral against the natural spin, you could conceivably not only slow the data stream but possibly separate it into logical bits.

Again, this goes on my assumptions of this mound and the possibility of it being a site for knowledge, not to mention a great star viewing platform, that this is why this feature spirals against the natural spin. For those that knew its secrets, the connections that can be made, it was a prodigious source of knowledge.

Now spinning with the natural spin should produce a different effect. Allowing you to connect with the energy, possibly using it for diversified functions. I suspect that this is how you access this energy, spiraling with the flow, simply thinking in/of spirals.

I feel/believe that there is enormous treasure in spirals, waiting to be found again.

All from a mention of a spiral, Haiku …

Breo

Jedi Master
FOTCM Member
I'm glad you enjoyed the videos. In addition to the spiral arrangement of petals, seeds, etc. based on the Golden Angle derived from the Golden Ratio, nature also arranges such things in groups according to Fibonacci numbers, also derived from the Golden Ratio. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/db/34*21-FibonacciBlocks.png/450px-34*21-FibonacciBlocks.png
Yes. And I found an interesting article The Secret of the Fibonacci Sequence in Trees of a young Aidan, who won at age 13 a nature science award, because he observed that leaves on trees grow in fibonacci spirals, called phyllotaxis and asked himself why;

I knew that branches and leaves collected sunlight for photosynthesis, so my next experiments investigated if the Fibonacci pattern helped. I needed a way to measure and compare the amount of sunlight collected by the pattern. I came up with the idea that I could copy the pattern of branches and leaves with solar panels and compare it with another pattern.
After builing a model and then a tree shaped solarpanel he got stunning results:

The Fibonacci tree design performed better than the flat-panel model. The tree design made 20% more electricity and collected 2 1/2 more hours of sunlight during the day. But the most interesting results were in December, when the Sun was at its lowest point in the sky. The tree design made 50% more electricity, and the collection time of sunlight was up to 50% longer!
He came to the conclusion that the Fibonacci pattern helps trees track the Sun moving in the sky and to collect the most sunlight even in the thickest forest.

Not bad for a 13y old boy!

"S" is a graphic of a spiral; "pi" is the mathematical constant representing the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter; "Ra" is the sun; "L" is the Roman Numeral for 50, alluding to the 50/50 ratio of sunlight to darkness (the latter 2 related to the piezoelectric characteristics of the circles of stones composing Stonehenge).
Your quote S pi Ra L fits in here nicely, even the 50/50 ratio of sunlight to darkness.

Top Bottom