The Michael Teachings

wodasi

Jedi Master
i found this website -etc - i have no idea about the truthfulness of topics -
but they originated in the early 1970s as a 'conversation' via a Ouija board between members of a spiritual study group...
if there is a more dedicated thread on this please direct my there ? discussions etc..

The Michael Teachings
website-

The Michael Teachings originated in the early 1970s as a 'conversation' via a Ouija board
The Michael Teachings is a body of channeled New Age spiritual doctrine that originated in the early 1970s as a 'conversation' via a Ouija board between members of a spiritual study group in the San Francisco Bay Area and a channeled spiritual entity who became known as 'Michael'. The teachings received from the entity were first published in book form in 1979 as Messages from Michael, by novelist Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, the first in a series of four books by Yarbro chronicling the Bay Area sessions. Since that time, the teachings purportedly from the same entity have continued to accumulate and expand via a growing number of channels based in other locations.

Summary
The core belief of the Michael Teachings is agape (unconditional love) – specifically, teaching people how to love themselves and how to love others through personality understanding methods, communication skills and other practices that encourage deeper self-awareness.

Modern schools of philosophy and psychology represent facets of this system. Readers of Abraham Maslow, Carl Jung, Erik Erikson and Sigmund Freud, as well as others, will find a ring of familiarity there. Elements of this system were being taught in the 1920s by George Gurdjieff, P.D. Ouspensky and later Rodney Collin.

Expansion of the Teachings
Beginning with a few friends gathered in Sarah Chambers' living room seeking answers to their own questions, there are now more than 40 books published[3] about the body of work that came to be called the Michael Teachings. As students became teachers of the material and it moved out of the United States, many of the books about the teachings have been translated into other languages. The work of José and Lena Stevens has been translated into Finnish.[Shepherd Hoodwin's books have been translated into Russian, Spanish, Indonesian, Dutch and German.Websites in other countries evolved to cover the material in the United Kingdom, Germany, South Africa, Brazil and Czechia.

Reception
A number of academic scholars have included the Michael Teachings in their research. These include Jon Klimo, Olav Hammer, Michael F. Brown and Mary Meeker Albert.

Jon Klimo, professor of psychology at Argosy U (SFBA campus), and parapsychology author, researched channeling and writes in the introduction to his book Channeling: Investigations on Receiving Information from Paranormal Sources, "I intended for this book to be a balanced and objective treatment of the phenomenon of channeling so that you the reader can make your own judgements." He goes on to say "Although, as we shall see, channeling has been around since the beginning of recorded history, it is enjoying a remarkable resurgence today."

Professor Klimo stated that the Messages from Michael book series helped to make Michael-channeling into one of the best-known examples of channeling during the 1970s and early 1980s, and noted similarities in the events of the initial Michael channeling sessions to those that led to the Seth Material. Klimo reported that more than a dozen people in the San Francisco Bay Area claimed to channel the same "Michael", using a variety of methods, ranging from automatic writing to speaking while in a trance.

Olav Hammer, an expert on new religious movements, describes the Michael Teachings as a "fairly well-structured set of doctrines, expressed in a distinct vocabulary". According to Hammer, Michael is described by believers as a "group soul, a collective consciousness of 1050 essences". Hammer states that the channelers of Michael study the earlier "transmissions" and use similar terminology, making it easier for readers to accept the new material as part of a doctrine. Dr. Hammer has a degree in Computer Science and a Ph.D. from Lund University (Sweden) in History of Religions.

Michael Brown didn't set out to study channeling. An anthropology and Latin American studies professor at Williams College, he was living in Santa Fe temporarily and working on a book about a Peruvian guerrilla movement when he became interested in some drumming from his next door neighbors. Assuming that was an American Indian ceremony, he wanted to learn more. Eventually, he spent five years of research where he tried to make sense of channeling "in an anthropological sense." That research eventually became his book, The Channeling Zone. Brown said the experiences he underwent in his research didn't change his own beliefs. In 2014, Brown was named president of the School for Advanced Research, after shifting into emeritus status as Lambert Professor of Anthropology and Latin American studies at Williams College in Williamstown, Massachusetts.

Nancy Piatkowski, writing in the Journal of American Folklore, reviewed the book The Channeling Zone: American Spirituality in an Anxious Age by Michael F. Brown.Nancy writes that "He uses as prime examples the Seth Material and Michael Teachings, which have been copyrighted and published. [...] In The Channeling Zone, Michael Brown has provided us with a lively, easy to read, yet scholarly look into a spiritual movement whose critics see it as Satanic and evil but whose followers are among the best-educated people in the country. Those who seek the guidance of channels are those who have found dissatisfaction with organized religion yet feel the need for the spiritual in a complex and changing society." Nancy Piatkowski was the Archivist of the Episcopal Diocese of Western New York[ and Archive Coordinator of the Department of Anthropology, Buffalo State College.

Mary Meeker Alber, in her Ph.D. dissertation,compared several different methods of conscious development that included: Sri Aurobindo's Integral Yoga, Tibetan Buddhism and reincarnation, as well as essence and personality systems, which include: the Fourth Way system (George Gurdjieff), the Arica School founded by Oscar Ichazo, the Michael system teachings and Personnessence™.

Dr. Alber commented on the similarities of the various Essence and Personality systems: "When I asked him [Dr. Jose Stevens] why the Michael teachings and Personessence™ were so strikingly similar to Fourth Way and Arica programs even though the founders claim to be uninformed by the other, he explained that their commonality reflects the underlying truths about consciousness and its development.." ... "To test the appeal of the Michael system approach to self-understanding in my community, I developed and taught a workshop at a regional conference that I entitled The Keys to Self-Mastery in which I gave the revised I-MAP introductory presentation to a group of twenty individuals. I also invited José Stevens to conduct an introductory weekend workshop to a group of ten individuals in my community. From these experiences, I have direct awareness of the important insights that this system offers to individuals beyond the integral paradigm originally embodied by the IMAP. Years after these events, participants have expressed an enduring appreciation for the insights they gained about themselves and others, and ask when and how I intend to continue the work." (pp 373–374). She goes on to compare - in great detail - the Michael Teachings to aspects of the various systems that she reviewed. Dr. Alber is a graduate of Dartmouth College, B.A., Engineering Sciences and Economics, Wharton School of Business, MBA; MA, Anthropology, Human and Organizational Change; PhD Transformative Learning and Change. She is a Co-founder and Board President of Education Innovation Collaborative in Nevada.

Biography of Sarah Chambers
Sally Jo "Sarah" (McCord) Chambers (1937–1998) was an American teacher who wrote the body of work now known as the Michael Teachings.

Sarah Chambers was born Sally Jo McCord on November 30, 1937, in Cincinnati, Ohio to Elmer Ernest McCord and Dorothy Lee Clark. She died in Santa Fe, New Mexico, on December 8, 1998. As a teenager, Sarah lived in Michigan, then later lived for a time in Orange County, CA. In 1961, she married her first husband, Walter James Polhemus, in Kansas; they divorced in Solano County, California in 1968.

In 1972, Sarah married Richard "Dick" Chambers in Oakland, California.[30] Together, they were involved in early groups studying the self-understanding work of George Ivanovich Gurdjieff in Oakland. After leaving those Gurdjieff groups,[32] they started hosting meetings of friends at their home in Oakland.Starting in August 1973 and using a Ouija board, Sarah Chambers "brought through" information about personality and how to get along better in the world in answer to questions that members of the group asked.

Starting in the early 1970s, Sarah had been meeting in a small study group along with Alice Hannah, their husbands (both named Richard) and other close friends who were interested in more advanced spiritual study. Friends invited friends to the groups. Some stayed for a time and many others just passed through. Over the years the group existed, the core of what has become known today as "the Michael Teachings" was revealed. Alice Hannah, "secretary" for the original Michael study group in the early 1970s, kept the group's records and created transcripts of their sessions. The information they brought forth provides the foundation of the body of knowledge, which has now expanded as more teachers are trained and students develop more advanced skills. As advanced students progress in their awareness and needs, new levels of information are being revealed that deepen and broaden the original work.[31]

One concern of the early group was how they would be perceived by others as many of them were professionals, doctors, lawyers, teachers, scientists, psychologists, community leaders and business people. Channeling and spiritual subjects at the time were not considered "mainstream" activities. In 1995, Sarah answered some questions about why the groups stopped. She said "Our meetings in the beginning — and I'm sure Alice & Dick feel this way too — were fun and they were like big family gatherings. Quite often, there were 18-20 people staying here at the house on the weekends for mega-sessions. No money ever changed hands, since Michael always said the teaching would pay for itself. Then, in 1976, the atmosphere changed ... I just lost interest, that's all and went on to other things. I miss the camaraderie very much. There was a tightness in the group that made it stick together. We came to the meetings, whether they were here or at Alice & Dick's, with potluck dishes and stayed until early in the morning. Those sessions went on for many hours with breaks for dinner and, sometimes, breakfast."

Around that same time, Sarah took a full-time job and her interests changed to other things. During that time, she encountered Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, a fiction writer who had heard about Sarah's groups.Some of the early transcripts of the groups were used in Yarbro's books Messages from Michael and More Messages from Michael. Yarbro's book Michael's People describes the fictionalized people involved in the early study groups.

Public domain transcripts of Sarah's early groups have been published by the non-profit Center for Michael Teachings in three volumes in a series called The Legacy of Sarah Chambers.

After Sarah stopped hosting the large public groups, a student of hers, Leslie Briggs, hosted her own groups, starting in 1974 and continuing until 1983. Transcribed sessions from Briggs that have survived have been published by the Center for Michael Teachings.

In the mid-1990s, Sarah Chambers came back to channeling and the Michael Teachings. In 1996, she attended a conference of 16 Michael channels in Colorado.[38] She stayed involved and allowed her name to be used publicly until her death in 1998 at age 61.

Last edited:
The Michael Teachings

The MICHAEL TEACHINGS explore the spiritual philosophy of the mid-causal plane entity Michael, popularized in the best-selling book, Messages from Michael by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro. The Michael teachings provide a liberating set of tools that help chart our spiritual progress as we journey from first incarnation to last. Learning about the Michael teachings helps us validate our overall development in the reincarnational cycle, show where we are on the path, what lessons we will encounter, why we are here, and what is yet to come. It also helps us understand the unique qualities we bring to the world, and why people and societies are the way they are.

The Michael teachings site also explores broader topics, including the core tenets of spirituality, life after death, reincarnation, and soul age. With so much information vying for your attention online, it is hoped the Michael teachings offers a more focused lens to help make sense of it all.
The Michael entity is a collective of 1050 souls who have completed their incarnations on earth and evolved to a higher plane of existence. As with many other spiritual teachers, Michael's knowledge is conveyed to the physical plane through the use of human channels. These channeled teachings were first published in a book by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, entitled Messages from Michael, and it paved the way for many publications to come.

I remember this book, which was published in Icelandic in 1990, the same year. It got a quite a bit of attention in Iceland, there were courses available as well. See this old advert in Iceland's biggest newspaper: Morgunblaðið - 191. tölublað (25.08.1991) - Tímarit.is
I'm not sure if I read it at the time, perhaps I only read about it, so I'm really tempted to take look at the pdf!

We asked about the "Messages from Michael" stuff back in 1994:

Cass 94-11-16
Q: (L) Well, I have a book over on the shelf called "Messages from Michael"... this entity says that souls are being continually flung off from some sort of soul generator somewhere in the universe... what was this source?

A: Entity at 3rd incarnate.

Q: (L) Was this information valid in absolute terms?

A: No. Souls are already created.

Q: (L) You mean from the first instant of time (excuse the term)?

A: Yes.

Q: (L) Well, it all seems pretty amorphous.

A: Amorphous is perceptive.

So how do we square this with the idea that people can "grow a soul"?
I remember reading somewhere (was it RA material perhaps?) that the soul will "attach" itself to the body when the body/mind complex is ready for it. When the conditions for the soul expression are right or as close to the right, the soul will "descend". There was no definite time when this happens, span was defined somewhere between being born (still in the womb) to early 20ties of age of the individual.

'Grow a Soul':
Could it relate to your relative position in the cycle? i.e. the density that you are experiencing

We are informed:
that souls are already created, but that they can be 'shattered'.
of the concept of 'organic portals' and that they are 'soulless'.
that there are seven levels of density and that souls evolve & 'occupy' them based on development
that time is an artificial construct whose purpose is to assist with our 'learning'
all things are in balance and everything is required /necessary (both STO & STS).

If the universe /creation is infinite /perpetual /constantly self-renewing /cycling, then whatever can be thought of /intended has a 100% (i.e. unity) chance of occurring /being experienced.
i.e. there are no contradictions /'forbidden' experiences as it all a question of perspective
e.g. simultaneously /without separation, a soul IS the complete spectrum of densities (which is an artificial concept, used to explain concepts to students) and that what a soul experiences is set by the 'filters' it chooses to experience.

Alpha & Omega are the same /no difference - thinking here of the snake that eats itself (Ourobos?).
The teacher is the student (& vice versa) and neither actually exist /are required outside of the classroom.

I remember reading somewhere (was it RA material perhaps?) that the soul will "attach" itself to the body when the body/mind complex is ready for it. When the conditions for the soul expression are right or as close to the right, the soul will "descend". There was no definite time when this happens, span was defined somewhere between being born (still in the womb) to early 20ties of age of the individual.

So the difference between ops and non ops is perhaps not that there is a soul 'seated' in non ops and none in ops, but rather that non-ops have a "connection" to a soul or 'soul group' in the 'future', whereas ops do not? If so, that would be an interesting twist on what we (or at least I) have assumed until now. It also jives with what the Cs have said, I think, i.e. 'we are you in the future'.

Maybe the idea is that they can grow a connection with an already existing soul? :huh:

Was just thinking the same. If all souls were already created, and no more are created, it's interesting to consider the idea of the 'pool' from which OPs are said to originate and return (in the sense of their essence). We might think that means that there is no progression available for OPs (they just cycle back and forth from the 'pool'), but maybe progression is possible in the sense that an OP from this 'pool', can attach itself to a more individuated soul group and thereby progress (so to speak).

Was just thinking the same. If all souls were already created, and no more are created, it's interesting to consider the idea of the 'pool' from which OPs are said to originate and return (in the sense of their essence). We might think that means that there is no progression available for OPs (they just cycle back and forth from the 'pool'), but maybe progression is possible in the sense that an OP from this 'pool', can attach itself to a more individuated soul group and thereby progress (so to speak).
I understand it similarly.
Compiling information from multiple sources. All the "drama" of learning can take place between 7 and 1 density. Souls (units of consciousness?) are shaking down from 7 density to 1 density (matter) and at the same "time" other scattered in matter units are ascending from matter up to 7 density.
Along the way of evolution (from 1 -7) and involution( from 7 - 1), units at different levels of development meet in 3 density.
OPs and beings with soul potential can represent ascending or descending cycles.
These are just my thoughts.

I believe that just as a second-density being can become a candidate for third-density in their interaction with us, so too can an organic portal develop the energetic foundation for an individualized soul to connect to, since the " terrain" has been properly converted.

Surely, a 3rd density person on the edge of 4th, or 4th density candidate of the STO type, would be needed, helping and giving freedom to the individual expression of the OP, in his choices and "mistakes".

My thoughts on Organic Portals (OP) are that they are vehicles /machines equipped with a sophisticated, but limited, programme of behaviour i.e. they are defined by Intelligent Design, but can adapt /learn i.e. evolve, to some extent.

If occupied by a soul, then they becomes an 'avatar' of that soul i.e. the soul re-programmes /adapts the OP for their purpose /learning (based on the souls' filters /capabilities).
The 'Greys' appear to be a more advanced model of our OPs, whilst psychopaths appear to be a 'special' purpose model /variant.

I believe that we are seeing something similar in the evolution of Artificial Intelligence - 'soulness' is not defined or limited by physicality,

Back
Top Bottom