The name for Mars in Hebrew

Ðekel

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
i just read Shijing's post about the Cassiopaeans' names for planets in our solar system,
Shijing; i want to convey that it is one of the most interesting posts i've ever read ! :)

one of my own observations about a planet's name comes from hebrew, and i'm certain others have noticed this before:

in hebrew the name for Mars is "Ma'adim".
which literally translates into: "Turning red" and is a Male word.
so the word is actually both a verb and a noun, or rather: a noun (name for an object) that is derived from an ongoing action;
a verb in Present-Progressive form.

it seems that whomever gave the planet its name, must have known it to have "turned red" or observed it "turning red" from its former, different color. the name actually implies that it is constantly turning red. how much more red can it get ??
:)

of course this name fits in with many theories raised as to the interactions that had occurred between Mars and other planets in this solar system. (I shy away from calling it "our" solar system, because that would imply it belongs to someone) :)

any thoughts on this anyone ?

transientP said:
one of my own observations about a planet's name comes from hebrew, and i'm certain others have noticed this before:

so the word is actually both a verb and a noun, or rather: a noun (name for an object) that is derived from an ongoing action;
a verb in Present-Progressive form.

That's interesting -- do you happen to know what the root of the word is? I'm asking partly because of the various names that have been associated with Mars (or other planets) like 'Martek', 'Marduk', etc. It may or may not be connected.

transientP said:
it seems that whomever gave the planet its name, must have known it to have "turned red" or observed it "turning red" from its former, different color. the name actually implies that it is constantly turning red. how much more red can it get ??

of course this name fits in with many theories raised as to the interactions that had occurred between Mars and other planets in this solar system. (I shy away from calling it "our" solar system, because that would imply it belongs to someone) :)

It would be interesting to know what the name for Mars was in related languages, which might give a clue as to how old the Hebrew name actually is. If Mars had it's atmosphere and a large part of its oceans stripped away at some point due to interactions with the other inner planets and/or comets, that would almost certainly result in a change in color as perceived from Earth (Life and Death on Mars by John Brandenburg discusses evidence for this as well as earlier life on Mars -- it's less sensationalist and more scientific than the title and cover artwork would lead you to believe).

Hey there Shijing

well.. the root for “Ma'Adim“ would be Adom which means Red. the interesting thing is, the second part of Ma'Adim is Adim which in hebrew means vapor. another interesting thing is.. the root for Adom is ADM which is the same word for Man in hebrew.
and this is also a well known fact; nowadays Man is either referred to as Adam which literally means Non-Blood, or as Ben-Adam which literally means; Son-of-Non-Blood.
I've always thought that this Non-Blood deal was supposed to convey a peaceful message, sort of like saying; hey, don't be violent.

anyhow, the name given to Mars seems to be packed with info.

after reading your post about the Cassiopaean planet names, i thought about the rest of the planet names in hebrew.
when observing the the list that the Cassiopaeans give, the planets only have native names in hebrew up to Uranus, excluding it.
so it seems either the other planets were not known, or their names were forgotten.

transientP said:
[...] it seems that whomever gave the planet its name, must have known it to have "turned red" or observed it "turning red" from its former, different color. the name actually implies that it is constantly turning red. how much more red can it get ??

In ancient times, a rain of blood – or at least some red substance – was associated with various celestial phenomena. In certain parts of the Middle East it was said that the rivers turned to blood, a phenomenon associated with the close approach of a heavenly body. This would give a different angle on the phrase, ‘turning red’. This same phenomenon occurred recently in Kerala, from July 25 to September 23, 2001. You can read about it on Wikipedia: _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_rain_in_Kerala

transient said:
well.. the root for “Ma'Adim“ would be Adom which means Red. the interesting thing is, the second part of Ma'Adim is Adim which in hebrew means vapor. another interesting thing is.. the root for Adom is ADM which is the same word for Man in hebrew.
and this is also a well known fact; nowadays Man is either referred to as Adam which literally means Non-Blood, or as Ben-Adam which literally means; Son-of-Non-Blood.

Very interesting considering the association of red rain with cosmic phenomena. Ma’adim could be taken to mean ‘red vapour’.

Endymion,

thanks for the reply, i'm going to check out that wiki link after this post. :)

by the way, what inspired your nickname here; ”Endymion” ?

FWIW, the root "mar" is connected in many languages to water/sea.

mkrnhr,

yeah. and also an offshoot would be 'Mer' as in 'Mermaid'.
i wonder if we could all start an in depth, cross-lingual exploration of the names given to planets in the solar system..

that would be pretty nifty.

starting with Mercury ?

which by the way also has 'Mer' as its prefix..

[quote author=transientP]
any thoughts on this anyone ?
[/quote]

My favorite planets to study are Mercury and Mars. Mercury because it's my astrological "ruling" planet and Mars because I used to dream that ancient Mars humans followed a clan and community structure similar to what we have talked about here in paleo terms. Also, Mars men were shorter, thinner, paler skinned and sparsely haired compared to Earthmen.

Anyway, Mars is very interesting in practical terms too, because it's roughly in the middle of Earth and Moon in 3 different dimensions: size (volume), mass (density) and gravitational pull at the surface. The metrics involve 2 and 9, FWIW: (Moon is about half the diameter of Mars, whereas Earth is twice; the Earth is about nine times more massive than Mars, and the Moon one-ninth as massive).

As Mars' gravitational pull is intermediate between Earth and Moon, Mercury's gravitational pull is about the same as Mars, because even though Mars is more massive than Mercury, Mercury has a higher density, making the gravitational pull at the surface to measure about the same.

Don't have a wider context to give any of this significance, but I thought you might find it interesting anyway. :)

Here’s a list of names for Mars in various languages, found at _http://nathaniel.putzig.com/academics/project5810/names.html

Al-Qahira - Arabic, Indonesian, Malay
Ares - Greek
Auqakuh - Quechua (Inca)
Bahram - Persian
Harmakhis - Ancient Egyptian
Her Desher - Egyptian
Hrad - Armenian
Huo Hsing - Chinese
Kasei - Japanese
Labou - French
Ma'adim - Hebrew
Maja - Nepali
Mamers - Oscan
Mangala - Sanskrit
Marte - Spanish
Mawrth - Welsh
Nirgal - Babylonian
Shalbatana - Akkadian
Simud - Sumerian
Tiu - Old English (West Germanic) - root word for ' Tuesday '

As for the name ‘Endymion’, you can read a bit more about it my forum post here.

Bud,

very interesting stuff indeed.
i've also been taking an interest in jupiter's and saturn's moon systems recently; looking at photos of the various moons and rings online.
reading up about the names selected for each moon. etc'
it's all very awe-inspiring, this cosmic neighborhood.

--

Endy,

thanks for the list, i'm thinking of compiling linguistic information on each planet, cross-referencing and seeing what pops up.

i really enjoyed reading where your nickname is from.

A few days ago, unaware of this discussion here, I read about Mars and its etymological roots in

"The Real Basis of Astrology" by George Wright, written in 1894.

I enjoy these type of discussions.

The etymology of Mars is equally interesting. Of course we are familiar with its Greek form, "Ares", which doubtless came from the Egyptian Artes. Yet neither of these names has any inherent significance. It is only when we again refer to the Sanskrit that light appears. Here the name appears as Ava, and it means primarily a corner, an angle, hence anything sharp or cutting. This gives us the key to the influence of Mars. He is not peaceful and pleasant, but quarrelsome and sudden. He presides over battles as the Roman god of war, and in sickness he produces violent and sharp attacks such as fevers and apoplexy. All lingering diseases are due to Saturn. Therefore is Mars termed the "lesser infortune." The good aspects of Mars, however, confer advancement in military life, and sometimes even produce marriage, but in the latter case there is seldom any real affection, marriage being suddenly brought about by an influx of mere passion. It is an aphorism in astrology that people born with Mars in Aries on the ascendant always have a scar upon the face. The reason for this is said to be that when Mars comes exactly to the ascendant he causes an accident, and as Aries rules the head, it will take the form of some cut or bruise which will show through life upon the countenance.

Herakles said:
A few days ago, unaware of this discussion here, I read about Mars and its etymological roots in

The etymology of Mars is equally interesting. Of course we are familiar with its Greek form, "Ares", which doubtless came from the Egyptian Artes. Yet neither of these names has any inherent significance. It is only when we again refer to the Sanskrit that light appears. Here the name appears as Ava, and it means primarily a corner, an angle, hence anything sharp or cutting. This gives us the key to the influence of Mars. He is not peaceful and pleasant, but quarrelsome and sudden. He presides over battles as the Roman god of war, and in sickness he produces violent and sharp attacks such as fevers and apoplexy. All lingering diseases are due to Saturn. Therefore is Mars termed the "lesser infortune." The good aspects of Mars, however, confer advancement in military life, and sometimes even produce marriage, but in the latter case there is seldom any real affection, marriage being suddenly brought about by an influx of mere passion. It is an aphorism in astrology that people born with Mars in Aries on the ascendant always have a scar upon the face. The reason for this is said to be that when Mars comes exactly to the ascendant he causes an accident, and as Aries rules the head, it will take the form of some cut or bruise which will show through life upon the countenance.

Hmm, I'm an an Aries, and I don't have a scar on my face.
Sometimes I'm a bit of a lamb, but I have horns too.
I wonder if there is a connection between "Ares" , "Aries" and the war-mongering "Aryans".

while researching the names assigned to planets in the solar system, i was thinking about the sufixes seen in the planet names that Shijing has posted about.
now, we know the c's say that most planets in the solar system have 4d life on them.
my hunch is that the planets' sufixes might be a signifier of what dimensions are inhabited on a planet.
the sufixes, or rather, signifiers are 'ar' and 'as'.

based upon info the c's have given about various planets over time, as well as scientific information,
it is possible to draw a parallel between these signifiers and inhabited / inhabitable dimesnions of planets.

the following quote is copied and pasted from Shijing's post.
Q: (L) How many planets are in our solar system?
A: 12

Q: (L) Could you tell us the names of all the planets, their distances from the sun, the chemical composition, and the diameter.
A:

Planet Distance from Sun Diameter Chemical Composition
Mercury=Opatanar 36 million miles from Sun 3000 mi dia.
Venus=Pemuntar 67 million miles from Sun 7,500 mi. dia.
Earth=Saras 93 million miles from Sun 7,900 mi. dia.
Mars=Masar 141,500,000 miles from Sun 4,200 mi. dia.
Jupiter=Yontar 483,400,000 miles from Sun 88,700 mi. dia.
Saturn=Zendar 886,700,000 miles from Sun 74,500 mi. dia.
Uranus=Lonoponor 1,782,700,000 miles from Sun 31,566 mi. dia.
Neptune=Jinoar 2,794,300,000 miles from Sun 30,199 mi. dia.
Pluto=Opikimanaras 3,666,100,000 miles from Sun 1,864 mi. dia.
NI=Montonanas 570,000,000,000 miles from Sun 7,000 mi. dia. solid matter
NII=Suvurutarcar 830,000,000,000 miles from Sun 18,000 mi. dia. hydrogen, ammonia
NIII=Bikalamanar 1,600,000,000,000 miles from Sun 46,000 mi. dia. hydrogen, ammonia

now..
let's begin with Earth, 'Aras':
Earth
we know that earth is inhabited at 3rd and that possibly before being inhabited at third it was inhabited primarily in 4th.
so for earth Aras, would make sense.

according to this theory, Pluto as well as NI (Montonanas)
should be inhabited organically on 3rd as well, or maybe they were at the point their names were given them,
or maybe the names themselves signify the possibility of the planet to technically support some kind of 3d life.
in hebrew the name for earth is Aretz, whic also means land.
all that is necessary for the name to be read as 'Aras' would be to exchange one letter out of the three in hebrew,
being the last letter in the word which is sounded 'Ts' instead of 's'.

Mercury
in a plethora of 'european' languages, we also see Mercury ending in a sound that resembles Ar.
some examples :
romanian Mercur
as well as; danish, icelandic, finnish etc'
from what scientists are saying and are able to assess, physical organic life on mercury is not probable, but of course in 4d the rules are completely different.

Venus
while looking through the various names given to Venus on earth, we find the Basque name of Artizar.
an interesting thing is, there are many names ending not in 'ar' as one would expect, but in 'ra'. a few examples are the slovanian, croatian, russian and georgian words which are all Venera.
perhaps this has do to with the fact that venus is the only planet in the solar system that seems to be revolving around the sun 'against the grain' so to say ?

since we started with earth in this analysis, let's take a look at the next planet out.

Mars
the funny thing we find about Mars' name in 'earthen' languages, is that in venetian, spanish and galacian the word for mars is Marte.
this word bears a undeniable resemblance to the italian word for death, 'Morte'.
of course, in many languages, it is referred to as 'Mars' which ends in 'ars', which is almost exaclty the name given by the c's for Earth.
a 'dead' version of earth ?
or maybe at one time life 'died' on it because of an interaction with earth ??

let's move beyond the asteroid belts / planetary-remains past mars and take a look at the gas giants.

Jupiter (Saturn, Uranus and Neptune)
aside from the fact that in most languages the 'er' at the end of the name Jupiter sounds close to 'ar' as it is...
we also find that the germanic god associated with this planet is named 'donar'.
the great fluidity of the gasses floating around on these giants, plus the appearance of hexagonal features on some of their poles, suggest that these planets may harbour complex structures / life in 4d.
the hexagonal features on at least one gas giant's poles have been discussed by Laura and friends with the c's.
an interesting thread in the forum that discusses this would be
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,5570.msg37660.html#msg37660
and images are found readily online by searching 'hexagonal pole saturn'.

moving past the gas giants..
Pluto
the interesting thing that pops up is that there are a few names for Pluto that actually end in the 's' amongst 'earth languages'.
and in lithuanian for example, the name given is Plutonas, which ends in the full 'as' signifier.
whereas in samogitian for example the name is Plutuons.
now, science tells us that pluto does have various frozen liquids on it, meaning that technically it could have once, or could in the 'future' harbour organic life as we know it.

i wonder if we could start looking into other features of the names given to the planets by the c's, beyond this conjecture as to the sufixes / signifiers 'ar' and 'as'.

any comments, ideas on the subject and reflections are welcome as always.

But the author didn't say all people with Sun in Aries will have a scar on the face,
rather those with Mars in Aries and on the Ascendant.

cassandra said:
Herakles said:

Hmm, I'm an an Aries, and I don't have a scar on my face.
Sometimes I'm a bit of a lamb, but I have horns too.
I wonder if there is a connection between "Ares" , "Aries" and the war-mongering "Aryans".

I'm glad that you find this topic interesting, transientP -- I have some comments on your post that are going to be nitpicky, but that's the way science works. Sometimes you have to keep working at a problem from various angles until you finally figure out the right way to tackle it.

transientP said:
now, we know the c's say that most planets in the solar system have 4d life on them.
my hunch is that the planets' sufixes might be a signifier of what dimensions are inhabited on a planet.
the sufixes, or rather, signifiers are 'ar' and 'as'.

I'm not sure that the Cs have said that most planets on the solar system have 4D life on them -- I may not be remembering correctly, but do you have a quote for that?

transientP said:
we know that earth is inhabited at 3rd and that possibly before being inhabited at third it was inhabited primarily in 4th so for earth Aras, would make sense.

Same for this? (Also, Earth is actually called 'Saras', not 'Aras', which might make the comparison with 'Aretz' more problematic)

transientP said:
maybe the names themselves signify the possibility of the planet to technically support some kind of 3d life

Since we don't have any knowledge of NI, it's hard to say -- in the case of Pluto, it may be a bit of a stretch to say that it could support 3D life based on our current understanding (which may be incomplete).

FWIW, my first reaction to these apparent suffixes -- and this may not be correct at all -- is that they are nominalizers (affixes which create a noun from another part of speech such as a verb or an adjective, like the '-er' in English 'helper, player, reminder' etc, or 'one' in constructions like 'red one', 'fat one', 'slow one', etc).

transientP said:
aside from the fact that in most languages the 'er' at the end of the name Jupiter sounds close to 'ar' as it is...

Things seem to be a bit more complicated than that. Here is the etymology for Jupiter:

c.1200, "supreme deity of the ancient Romans," from L. Iupeter, from PIE *dyeu-peter- "god-father" (originally vocative, "the name naturally occurring most frequently in invocations" [Tucker]), from *deiw-os "god" (see Zeus) + peter "father" in the sense of "male head of a household" (see father). Cf. Gk. Zeu pater, vocative of Zeus pater "Father Zeus;" Skt. Dyauspita "heavenly father." The planet name is attested from late 13c.

And here are the Proto Indo-European reconstructions for 'father', 'mother', and 'brother':

father < PIE *pəter

mother < PIE *mater

brother < PIE *bhrater

It appears that there may be a frozen suffix '-ter' in these forms, so that they could be segmented as *pə-ter, *ma-ter, and *bhra-ter ( and ma look a lot like common nursery words for parents like 'papa' and 'mama'). This therefore looks a bit less like a suffix '-ar'

transientP said:
i wonder if we could start looking into other features of the names given to the planets by the c's, beyond this conjecture as to the sufixes / signifiers 'ar' and 'as'.

It's worth a try -- it's difficult, because without a 'Rosetta Stone' to provide some idea of the actual meanings of the roots, it's very hard to find a starting point. Since you've looked at planet names in other languages, one idea might be to just get a list of these and try to find etymologies for as many of them as you can (like the example for Jupiter above). I can't promise that it would lead anywhere, but who knows, it could provide some clues.

Back
Top Bottom