The Near Zero-Carb Pork Rind Recipes Revelation!

KJN

Jedi Council Member
FOTCM Member
Near ZERO-Carb Pancakes (and other!) using Pork Rinds -KJN, OEOC (official experimental oink chef)

Caesarea’s kitchen has been the groundbreaking experimental lab to test out the feasibility and yumminess of utilizing Pork Rinds for food items we have sorely missed. Success has been "out of the pen" as in "we've gone to hog heaven!" It has truly been a near no-carb wish fulfilling enterprise! (Babe would be proud.) See what you think. Try the recipes below and help us tweak them into magnificence!

We use chicharrones from a local grocery - ingredients: pork rinds (skins), salt
I food processor the rinds into a flour (high setting). Look for pork rinds that are light and crumbly. Avoid those with tough rinds. With limited experience in Pork Rindery, we assume all have salt added. If perhaps there are rinds out there without salt, please add a bit. With salted PRs, plan on using unsalted butter in recipes. Butter for frying can be either.

We use the food processor to make pork rind flour. If you do not have one, put the pork rinds in a heavy duty plastic bag and pound them until it becomes consistently really teensy weensy size crumbs.

Basic ingredients F/C/P per ave. serving (amounts and ingredients vary per recipe)
Pork rinds: 5g fat / 0 carb / 8g protein (1/2 oz)
Baking powder: 0 fat / 0 carb / 0 protein
Eggs: 5g fat / 0 carb / 6g protein (1 egg)
Butter: 11g fat / 0 carb / 0 protein (1 Tb)
Ghee: 5g fat / 0 carb / 0 protein (1 tsp)
Bacon fat: 4g fat / 0 carb / 0 protein (1 tsp)
Xylitol: 0 fat / 4 carb / 0 protein (1 tsp)
Cinnamon: 0 fat / 1 carb / 0 protein (1t)

Note: Because our Keto diets have not had “bread” stuffs, you will feel fuller (so don't "pig out!").

With modifications on a basic recipe it can be used for pancakes, muffins, cookies, pan bread (cornbread style), flatbread, mock pizza crust, turkey stuffing, chicken coating. (adjust spices or seasonings to purpose)

Pancakes
For one serving/2 pancakes:
1 egg
2T unsalted butter or ghee or bacon fat
1/2 of 3-oz bag (1.5 oz) pork rinds
dash Xylitol, cinnamon, dash baking powder
Skillet fry in butter (better taste) or bacon fat.
Pancake topping: ghee or butter/cinnamon/dash xyletol (cream together) - or no-sugar jam

For 16 pancakes @ 4” ovals:
7 eggs
12 T unsalted butter (or ghee or bacon fat)
3 bags of 3 oz size (9 oz) pork rinds
3T xylitol, 2T+ cinnamon, 1.5t baking powder

At the highest setting, food processor the pork rinds until a soft flour texture. Add in the xylitol, cinnamon and baking powder. Set aside. Use an electric mixer to froth the eggs (can whip separate whites and add yolks or do the whole egg) whipping for a few minutes. Add butter (or ghee/bacon fat) and mix. Add the rind flour mixture to the eggs 5 minutes before grilling and stir thoroughly. Rind flour will absorb, making a thick batter. Heat butter or bacon fat to iron skillet until water sprinkle bubbles. Spoon batter to pan and use the spoon edge or spatula edge to bat it down to a flatter pancake. Flip when brown. Top with a cinnamon butter spread or unsugared jam. (We like jam!)
Pancake variation: Add potato flakes and green onion for potato latkes
——-
Fried or baked chicken/pork chop coating: Use pork rind flour mixed with seasonings (i.e.:garlic powder, Herbs de Provence, S&P). May need egg baste prior to dredging.
——
Oven Pan Bread 8’x8” glass dish (see below for 8”x11” bread):
6 eggs
7T bacon fat (or 5T ghee or unsalted butter, 2T bacon fat)
2 bags 3 oz. size (6 oz) each pork rinds
2.5T xylitol
1.5T baking powder
spices
For a sweet type bread: combos of cinnamon, allspice, pumpkin pie spice, orange peel…(about 1+T each) or your favorites
For non-sweet bread: rosemary, thyme, garlic, onion, etc.( about 1+T ea.) if you do this group, cut down the xyletol to 1.5T

At highest speed, food processor the rinds until flour-like and add in baking powder, xyletol and spices and blend. Set aside. In a large bowl, whip up eggs into a froth, add in dry ingredients and ghee/butter and/or bacon fat. Mix well. Let sit 5 minutes. If overly thick, mix in 1/8c water. Oven to 350 degrees. Grease square glass baking dish with bacon fat to the bottom and sides. Transfer batter to dish and can sprinkle (such as dried onion flakes, rosemary, other, your choice) on the top. Bake 40-45 minutes until inserted knife or toothpick comes out clean and dry and the bread feels solid.

For 8”x11” dish: 7 eggs, 9 T bacon fat or unsalted butter or ghee, 3 bags 3oz size (9 oz) pork rinds, 4T xyletol, 2T baking powder, 1/4 c water if overly thick, 2T cinnamon, 1T allspice, 1T pumpkin spices (or whatever seasoning you desire in similar quantities)….same process as above.

Turkey Stuffing: Make Oven Pan Bread a day or so ahead. Use with traditional stuffing ingredients, such as onion pieces, sage, garlic, S&P, celery, etc.
Hint: buy cheesecloth, fold a section in two and hand stitch the bottom and side with loose big thread stitches into a bag. Place bottom of this bag into the turkey and spoon stuffing into the bag, tie the open end and close or sew up the turkey opening. After roasting, remove bag, and voila, stuffing without having to clean out the turkey!
——-
THESE ARE GREAT:
Hamburger Buns for 14, 3.5” diameter (can make these bigger but fewer with the following quantities - can have leftovers for “sandwiches!”)
4 bags 3 oz size (12 oz) pork rinds
8 small-med eggs
1.5 T xylitol
3T baking powder
10T bacon fat (this works great in this recipe)
1/2 cup dried onion flakes, 1T thyme, 1T garlic powder

Food processor pork rinds, highest speed, to flour consistency and save in bowl.
Blend xylitol, baking powder, dried onion flakes, thyme, garlic. Add to rind flour.
Froth eggs with a hand mixer, add bacon fat and refroth.
Hand mixer in the rind flour and blended ingredients.
Set oven for 350 degrees.
Use big glass dishes, spread thin layer of bacon fat on bottom of dish.
Hand form dough into bun shape about the size of a baseball or larger, flatten slightly.
Sprinkle onion flakes on the top of each bun.
Bake 40-45 minutes. Cool slightly.
Use a serrated knife and carefully slice sideways to create bun top and bottom.
——-
Pie Crust for 8”x10” dish or similar measurements:
2 bags 3oz size (6 oz) pork rinds
1 stick unsalted butter (or ghee/bacon fat equivalent)
1/4 c + 2T xylitol
1 T cinnamon (option: cocoa or other flavor)

Food processor pork rinds, highest speed, to a flour. Mix pork rind flour with xylitol and cinnamon, add butter/ghee/or bacon fat and mix until even. Grease glass pan, pat mixture into pan, bake for @ 18 minutes until slightly brown at 350 degrees. Remove, let cool. Add fat bomb and chill or other filling.
—-
Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe in progress but so far… (Odyssey and I will update with perfected cookie! but these ain't bad) 20-ish 3" cookies
2 1/2 bags 3 size (6.35 oz) pork rinds
3 pinches baking powder
1/2 block dark 85% organic cacao bar chopped into bits (1.3g fat/.87g carb/.25g protein per serving)
2-3T cocoa powder
1/2 t cinnamon
4T xylitol
1 stick unsalted butter or comparable quantity Ghee
2 eggs beaten
1/2T vanilla

Food processor the pork rinds, highest speed, to a flour. Mix above together. Roll up in wax paper (like a sausage) chill at least 2 hours, slice into 1/2 inch rounds, bake on parchment paper (if aluminum pan), 350 degrees, about 12-15 minutes. cool on a rack (better when totally cool).

Tortilla-style Flatbread or Pizza Crust:
2 eggs - use only whites whipped to stiffness (crustier when fried)
4T unsalted butter/ghee (do not use bacon fat)
2 bags 3 oz size (6 oz) pork rinds
1t baking powder
Seasoning: plain or onion powder/Italian seasoning/garlic/cumin…your choice

On highest speed, food processor the the pork rinds to flour consistency, mix in baking powder. Froth the eggs and add in cooled melted butter. Add rinds mixture and seasoning. Mix well, let sit. Heat skillet add butter or ghee until water drop sizzles. Flatten batter mounds as in pancake recipe. Flip and flatten. (see below)

For Pizza Crust: grease pan and pat down dough to cover surface and bake 350 degrees for about 18 minutes until browned.
For Flatbread: These also can be done in the oven on parchment paper - flatten before baking.

We haven't had time to see if there is a way around using eggs. Any ideas out there?
"Oink" back with tweaks, suggestions...y'all!

KJN said:
We haven't had time to see if there is a way around using eggs. Any ideas out there?
"Oink" back with tweaks, suggestions...y'all!
Oinking back!

I was thinking that lecithin might work but am unsure if it's only good as an emulsifier as opposed to a binder.

I did a quick search and read that xanthan gum or gelatin (mixed with water) could also be used although it may alter the taste and texture.

Thanks for the recipes! I'm wondering if brownies could be made with the cake recipe... :D

Thanks, KJN for posting the recipes! It was a real treat to have pancakes and bread made from pork rinds. They were delicious and my mouth is just watering for them thinking about them! Ren found online, "pork dust". 1lb bag of ground pork rind and salt. We`ll be trying out your "award wining recipes" (in my book) very soon. Possibly pancakes tomorrow morning! Yummy! Here`s to Caesarea’s Kitchen! And thanks again for these hog heaven delights and your humor in all it`s pigginess!
:bacon: :thup: :bacon:

Wow! You guys have been getting really creative with the pork rinds! Who woulda thunk?! Oink, Oink!! :bacon:

How about some fun names?

Hamcakes...Ham-made bread...or what about pigs-ina-bun!!

:lol2:

Thank you for posting the recipes KJN :D We will surely be trying them at our house in the near future.

This little piggy went to market , this little piggy went home, this little piggy went into a pancake, this little piggy a bun, and this little piggy went wee wee wee all the way to the caesarea's kitchen and was ground into cookies!!! :lol:
Great job you guys

And here is what the hamburger buns looked like:

Wwcwg32l.jpg

e3vb9PFl.jpg

Definitely yummy and was perfect for the hamburgers.

Obviously, there is a keto recipe cookbook in the pipeline soon.

I will definitely try these recipes as there are always chicharrones at homes from when we render our own lard, thanks for sharing!

truth seeker said:
Thanks for the recipes! I'm wondering if brownies could be made with the cake recipe... :D

I'm sure they can....and they would be delicious!

Who knew that the lowly little pork rind could yield such wonderful possibilities? :P

Now, on to perfecting those cookies....I think they could use more baking powder to fluff 'em up.

That's really a cool idea! I've lost the cooking experiment drive (plain old bacon is a treat for me), but this looks like it could be fun to do. I think you'd still have to keep the portions small as with carby snacks, because pork rinds are a little under half protein by weight.

There are some things I had written off as simply not a part of the diet anymore since there isn't a decent substitute for keto. Bread was one of those things, and boy oh boy what a treat this is! Can't wait to experiment with all these variations! YUM! or should I say Oink Oink! :)

Here's a link to the 'Pork Dust' for pre-ground pork rinds:
_http://www.amazon.com/Pork-Dust-Rind-Breadcrumbs-1lb/dp/B00NB2WANE

KJN said:
Near ZERO-Carb Pancakes (and other!) using Pork Rinds -KJN, OEOC (official experimental oink chef)

Caesarea’s kitchen has been the groundbreaking experimental lab to test out the feasibility and yumminess of utilizing Pork Rinds for food items we have sorely missed. Success has been "out of the pen" as in "we've gone to hog heaven!" It has truly been a near no-carb wish fulfilling enterprise! (Babe would be proud.) See what you think. Try the recipes below and help us tweak them into magnificence!

——-

——-
Pie Crust for 8”x10” dish or similar measurements:
2 bags 3oz size (6 oz) pork rinds
1 stick unsalted butter (or ghee/bacon fat equivalent)
1/4 c + 2T xylitol
1 T cinnamon (option: cocoa or other flavor)

Food processor pork rinds, highest speed, to a flour. Mix pork rind flour with xylitol and cinnamon, add butter/ghee/or bacon fat and mix until even. Grease glass pan, pat mixture into pan, bake for @ 18 minutes until slightly brown at 350 degrees. Remove, let cool. Add fat bomb and chill or other filling.
—-

Ok, this is genius!!!! I'm going to celebrate your achievement by making this recipe. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that I could eat a vanilla cream pie ( fat bomb style) and have it actually be healthy! I can see it in my head now sprinkled with a few raspberries and sprig of mint. Thank you so much for your inspiration :clap:

Back
Top Bottom