The overuse and misuse of certain adverbs

chezza

The Force is Strong With This One
Right, I've done a search on the forum this time before posting a new topic and couldn't find a previous discussion of this particular point. So I'll get to it.

In Britain (Not sure about other English speaking places), I've noticed that people in general these days are overusing and misusing certain adverbs (those words that tend to end in -ly). Every other word in people's conversations seems to be words like "literally" or "basically".

One example would be a guy who did somone a big favour and this person who was helped said "you're literally my knight in shining armour!" NO! figuratively, yes but this nice helper was not donned in polished metal, mounted on a steed and carrying a sword.

Another would be someone saying "Basically, that's the way it is, basically." Yep! they pushed basically in the short sentence twice!

I'm not one of these strict English teacher types or a pedant, because my use of English is not perfect. However, it seems like people need to embellish pretty much every sentence now to imply everything they say is mega important. Are people not paying attention to each other as much now?

Has anyone got any thoughts?

chezza said:
However, it seems like people need to embellish pretty much every sentence now to imply everything they say is mega important.

You mean like in "mega important"? ;D

I suppose we should trust in the language authorities and do everything they tell us and the world would be a better place. :scared:

Actually (there's an "ly" for you), I find it interesting the way language evolves, sometimes unhindered by "authority." If nothing else, people's use of language can tell you things about them that you might not otherwise know. Perhaps the way to improve language, generally, would be to encourage people to work on themselves.

I don't think my example is generally used as an adverb, but I've wondered for some time how the mindless overuse of the word "like" originated and (if there's a why) why.

"So she was like, 'like' as if I know,' and I'm like, wow, and then she's like, 'so I said to him, like, whatever you think because, like, I'm..." And on and on.

The tendency to use the word incorrectly does not seem confined to the ditzy; I've heard it many times from well-educated people on various newscasts or in videos.

"So, Barb, tell us, is it like hot out there?" Good grief! It's hot or it's not.

Could these things be linguistic markers used to measure how dumb we're becoming, or is the whanging in my head every time I hear "like" or one of chezza's -ly's just another case of a geezer failing to understand the young?

Patrick said:
I don't think my example is generally used as an adverb, but I've wondered for some time how the mindless overuse of the word "like" originated and (if there's a why) why...

I believe it's a frequent enough question that research has been done into the matter, which a bit of Googling might turn up for you. Personally, I leave the question alone because I often use "like" myself, in speaking. :)

chezza said:
One example would be a guy who did somone a big favour and this person who was helped said "you're literally my knight in shining armour!" NO! figuratively, yes but this nice helper was not donned in polished metal, mounted on a steed and carrying a sword.

I know, right? (<-- by biggest linguistic pet peeve of the year so far) The literally/figuratively one bugs me, too. In a thousand years, scholars might think fundamentalists held the beliefs they did because of a figurative reading of the bible!

I first noticed the overuse of "like" when I was sharing a house with a group of US students. My impression was that it relates to a culture largely influenced by acting. For instance, instead of saying "John said: hello", they would say "John was like: hello". So, instead of a narration including what someone said, one recreates the action of that person saying it.
Hope is makes sense.

Approaching Infinity said:
chezza said:

I know, right? (<-- by biggest linguistic pet peeve of the year so far) The literally/figuratively one bugs me, too. In a thousand years, scholars might think fundamentalists held the beliefs they did because of a figurative reading of the bible!

AI beat me to, "I know right." Anymore it's said as a statement not a question! AND, there's an abbreviation for it now, IKR. :headbash:

mkrnhr said:
I first noticed the overuse of "like" when I was sharing a house with a group of US students. My impression was that it relates to a culture largely influenced by acting. For instance, instead of saying "John said: hello", they would say "John was like: hello". So, instead of a narration including what someone said, one recreates the action of that person saying it.
Hope is makes sense.

The acting influence could also, like totally, help explain the overuse of dramatizing words like: totally. Sometimes when people exclaim a lot, it sounds to me like (I'm so American) they're describing comic book scenes.

I've noticed that I tend to use the word "basically" a lot, particularly when I write. I think the use and overuse of the word "like" is sometimes used in place of "I said" or "my impression was" or "what I was thinking was". For example, the statement "I was like, no way dude!" seems to be saying "I said, no way dude". I agree with the common use of "literally" though. It's like just basically a totally wrong use of the word, literally.

Perceval said:
I've noticed that I tend to use the word "basically" a lot, particularly when I write. I think the use and overuse of the word "like" is sometimes used in place of "I said" or "my impression was" or "what I was thinking was". For example, the statement "I was like, no way dude!" seems to be saying "I said, no way dude". I agree with the common use of "literally" though. It's like just basically a totally wrong use of the word, literally.

I think it is a healthy sign when people become annoyed with (and maybe even do something about) their own tendencies. :)

My peeves with my own words include "basically" and "actually." "Basically" is worse because far too often the statement isn't even "basic" and I know that. I seem to use it as a shortcut for avoiding saying what I mean. "Actually" is just annoying, and maybe I use it to be annoying. "Like," on the other hand, is a word I like, at least when I am speaking. It's right up there with "uh." I'm not giving either one of those up.

Perceval said:
It's like just basically a totally wrong use of the word, literally.

:rotfl: Another one is "you know", and I noticed it's contagious. I try to watch out for it, but I've learned it through osmosis...

It's like, you know, just basically a totally wrong use of the word, you know, literally.

chezza said:
I'm not one of these strict English teacher types or a pedant, because my use of English is not perfect. However, it seems like people need to embellish pretty much every sentence now to imply everything they say is mega important. Are people not paying attention to each other as much now?

Has anyone got any thoughts?

Wow.

That's what I tend to say when at a loss. Backwards, forwards, it works, and facial expressions determine what it means.

Whoah.

That's another good one, same rules work.

Purple prose can be fun, depending on what your tolerance for it is. A good show to watch, that does it well, is called " The Middleman". If you can sit through that, you'll be able to handle anything said in public. :flowers:

It's a show from 2008, I think it can be watched or ordered via netflix.

Megan said:
I think it is a healthy sign when people become annoyed with (and maybe even do something about) their own tendencies. :)

My peeves with my own words include "basically" and "actually." "Basically" is worse because far too often the statement isn't even "basic" and I know that. I seem to use it as a shortcut for avoiding saying what I mean. "Actually" is just annoying, and maybe I use it to be annoying. "Like," on the other hand, is a word I like, at least when I am speaking. It's right up there with "uh." I'm not giving either one of those up.

Oh, yes, "basically" and "actually" are my close buddies. Also "it seems to me", "so", "sometimes"....I am sure there are more. And actually, sometimes it is very annoying, so it seems to me that I basically need to find some new words to overuse. :)

Back
Top Bottom