The power of addiction and the addiction of power

Joe

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Interesting talk here (20 mins) by Gabor Maté on addiction and it's causes and solutions.

http://youtu.be/66cYcSak6nE

Carlise said:
This is a brilliant TED talk, thanks for sharing.

I tend to try and downplay the "ted" angle and focus on the speaker. While 'ted' offers a forum for some good talks, they also provide a stage for pathological types.

Perceval said:
Carlise said:
This is a brilliant TED talk, thanks for sharing.

I tend to try and downplay the "ted" angle and focus on the speaker. While 'ted' offers a forum for some good talks, they also provide a stage for pathological types.

I see what you mean. Well this speaker, at least, really does seem to 'get it', and it's good to see the message getting out there. Especially the part about our 'leaders' being the most empty inside, and it being up to the individual.
It's Just a shame that he has no knowledge of psychopathy and character disturbance, and assumes everyone to be good at heart but damaged and insecure in some way. Though I doubt he would have been allowed to speak there otherwise.

Perceval said:
Interesting talk here (20 mins) by Gabor Maté on addiction and it's causes and solutions.

http://youtu.be/66cYcSak6nE

Indeed, interesting talk. Thanks for sharing. ;)

Yes, that was quite good. For me, there seemed to be a direct parallel with the passive abuse mentioned in The Narcissistic Family while he was talking about childhood neglect and abuse leading to forms of addiction. His transition into the addiction of society to consumerism and selfishness towards the end was pretty powerful too.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Very illuminating talk. Makes me aware of a lot of my own addictions (shopping, food, etc) and addictive behaviour
One could say that the purpose of the Work is to confront these lies/addictions in oneself, to find the real me, ultimately to ascend to 4D.
Does that make sense?
fwiw

Great talk--thanks for sharing! I really liked his focus on tying together addiction with the filling of the internal void from without, which also obviously ties into psychopaths as black-hole beings.

Shared on FB to give people more to think about on "choose your puppet leader" day.

Watched it yesterday. His talk is pretty straight forward and informative like his books. But he seems to have ignored pathological nature of the people in power, instead focused on the normal people who ponerized to the power to cover up the hole in the heart.

seek10 said:
Watched it yesterday. His talk is pretty straight forward and informative like his books. But he seems to have ignored pathological nature of the people in power, instead focused on the normal people who ponerized to the power to cover up the hole in the heart.

Yeah, he doesn't understand the difference between normal damaged/ponerized people and pathologicals. But otherwise, it was a very good talk.

Thank you for the post Perceval. I shared on Facebook as well, in hopes that some of my 'Friends' might have a view. It's quite illuminating for the average person, although as others have mentioned, it's obvious Gabor is unaware of the pathology that is rampant in the population. :cool2:

Andromeda said:
seek10 said:

Yeah, he doesn't understand the difference between normal damaged/ponerized people and pathologicals. But otherwise, it was a very good talk.

I wonder whether he is not aware of it or simply ignores it as he is too much into Buddhism, new age stuff merged with his medical background. He seems to be open minded.

seek10 said:
Andromeda said:
seek10 said:

I wonder whether he is not aware of it or simply ignores it as he is too much into Buddhism, new age stuff merged with his medical background. He seems to be open minded.

In his Book, In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts he does make mentions about some differences between the few seemingly sociopathic patients who seem to show no remorse as opposed to the majority which are severely wounded and damaged in life. His stance seems to be one of compassion towards all his patients regardless, but he does sometimes talk about how the best thing for some people to do is cut off contact because the person is not asking or doesn't need/want help.

When talking about powerful people, he made mentions of Conrad Black who was a very powerful media Baron here in Canada that went to jail for embezzlement. The way he talked about Black, it was from a purely narcissistic standpoint, discussing his obsessive need to 'attain' and be someone of importance at expense of himself and deconstructed Black's worldview. Mate also talks about the 'War on Drugs' and how it's basically set up on purpose to create more suffering and abuse to drug addicts and actually supports and feeds illegal drug trades, prostitution, crimes, etc because of this hardline stance of forcing other people to change while refusing to understand the nature of the addictions.

He never fully mentions anything about pathology, but alludes to it at certain times without really grasping it's full implications, osit.

Back
Top Bottom