THE "SHRUB" WANTS TO SELL OFF 300,000 ACRES OF OUR NATIONAL FORESTS!

Ronnie

Jedi
The Bush administration wants to sell off 300,000 acres of our national forest lands -- including wild stretches of NRDC's Tongass National Forest, Yellowstone/Greater Rockies and Cumberland Plateau BioGems -- to pay for its mismanagement of America's finances. This proposal would sacrifice prime habitat in Montana for bears, elk and wolves; recreation spots in the Alaskan rainforest; wildlife-rich ecosystems in the Appalachians and hundreds of other natural treasures.

The administration has cynically put forward this massive sell-off as a fast way to raise millions to pay for a rural schools program that has run out of funding. America's rural schools deserve financial support -- but destroying our legacy of national forests to pay the bills is unconscionable.

Tell the Forest Service to withdraw its plan to sell off parts of our national forests.

March 22, 2006

U.S. Forest Service
SRS Comments, Lands 4S
1400 Independence Ave., SW
Washington, DC 20250-0003

Dear Forest Service staff, I strongly oppose President Bush's proposal to auction off 300,000 acres of national forest land in 35 different states in order to pay for the Rural Schools Initiative. These irreplaceable lands include hiking trails, fishing spots and wildlife habitat that are treasured by millions of Americans.

I support funding for rural schools, but selling our natural heritage to raise those funds is both shortsighted and unconscionable. Our priceless legacy of National Forests belongs to all Americans, present and future. It is not yours to sell.

I call on you to urge the president to withdraw his proposal to sell off any part of our national forests for the sake of funding budget shortfalls. I strongly oppose President Bush's proposal to auction off 300,000 acres of national forest land in 35 different states in order to pay for the Rural Schools Initiative. These irreplaceable lands include hiking trails, fishing spots and wildlife habitat that are treasured by millions of Americans.

I support funding for rural schools, but selling our natural heritage to raise those funds is both shortsighted and unconscionable. Our priceless legacy of National Forests belongs to all Americans, present and future. It is not yours to sell.

I call on you to urge the president to withdraw his proposal to sell off any part of our national forests for the sake of funding budget shortfalls.

http://www.savebiogems.org/takeaction.asp?step=2&item=53404

Back
Top Bottom