The Truth Perspective - Julius Caesar and the transformation of Rome - Interview

Approaching Infinity

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Saturday March 7, 2015 - Julius Caesar and the transformation of Rome - Interview with Dr. Tom Stevenson

This week, the Truth Perspective interviews Tom Stevenson, author of the new book, Julius Caesar and the Transformation of the Roman Republic. We discuss the life and times of Julius Caesar - Rome, religion, politics and war - and look at the question: Did Caesar really aspire to tyranny from a young age? Or ever? What was Caesar really like, and are portrayals of him in history books and fiction really accurate?

Tom is currently Senior Lecturer in Classics and Ancient History at the University of Queensland, Australia. His research focus is on the politics and ideology of the late Roman Republic and early Empire, the careers of Cicero and Caesar, and he is currently working on a book on the history and significance of the Roman emperor as Pater Patriae (father of the fatherland).

Looking forward to it, too! I haven't fully immersed myself in the material about Caesar yet, so it should be very helpful.

I'm looking forward to this (I'll try to catch it tomorrow, or as early as possible). I still have a bunch of shows to catch up on - never seem to have enough time to do so when I fall behind on several shows.

It will be interesting to hear what he says about Cicero and Caesar. The "official history" makes Cicero out to be some kind of giant of a man - real history, and his own speeches/writings show something else entirely. And there's been a great effort to diminish Caesar's accomplishments and overall positive influence on humanity for centuries - with varying success (it seems that Caesar has cast such a huge influence into future times, that it took a long time to diminish the overwhelmingly positive opinion people had of him, including historians, writers, etc.).

Yes, it is here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/sottradionetwork/2015/03/07/julius-caesar-and-the-transformation-of-rome--interview-with-dr-tom-stevenson

Strange. I had to restart my computer, and now there is no chat and the show starts all over again. Can't get it live. :huh:

Gaby said:
Yes, it is here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/sottradionetwork/2015/03/07/julius-caesar-and-the-transformation-of-rome--interview-with-dr-tom-stevenson

I've reloaded that page several times and can't get the chat to come up :huh:

It is bizarre! There are like 5 people on the chat whereas usually there are like 40. I re-loaded a couple of times and I am listening live. I uploaded my link 5 minutes before show time though.

For some reason, blogtalkradio has been working up funny lately.

It seems the show is pre-recorded. The entire audio is available and you can skip around within the show as soon as it's fully loaded. I guess this was done to avoid the technical problems that usually appear.

Psalehesost said:
It seems the show is pre-recorded. The entire audio is available and you can skip around within the show as soon as it's fully loaded. I guess this was done to avoid the technical problems that usually appear.

Oh, that explains that. Now we can all stop reloading like crazy. :lol:

Psalehesost said:

Yep, it's pre-recorded because Tom is in Australia and he would've had to get up at 4 to do the show. I'll try restarting the chat room.

Gaby said:
It is bizarre! There are like 5 people on the chat whereas usually there are like 40. I re-loaded a couple of times and I am listening live. I uploaded my link 5 minutes before show time though.

For some reason, blogtalkradio has been working up funny lately.

I don't see the log in button. It's usually there to log in and then chat room appears.

Keit said:
Psalehesost said:

Oh, that explains that. Now we can all stop reloading like crazy. :lol:

:lol:

Okay.

Back
Top Bottom