The word "heart"

If there was an ancient common language among humanity some clues should be remain. Most of the common words could change or mix through the ages, but maybe, just maybe we could find some clues in several nowadays words. For example, let's consider the word "heart". This word and concept is so important for humanity that sure it deserves some study. I'm pretty sure that you guys can do this much better than me, I just try to help with my two cents.

In English, the word "Heart" comes from German "Herz", but another form for the same is "Kern", that also means "Core".
And this is a very interesting root. We see that in Russian, "siertse"(сердце) also comes from german "Herz".
But once again we observe that "kern" german word exists in russian as "kern" (керн).

With the Latin root "cor", other languages' words for heart are obvious: "corazón" in Spanish, "coeur" in French or "coure" in Italian, giving just some examples. But we observe something really interesting because we can find the same root in irish, o even in japanese!
"Croí" in Irish, and "Kokoro" in Japanese.

Cor Latin
Core English
Corazón Spanish
Coeur French
Cuore Italian
Croí Irish
Kern German
Kern Russian
Kokoro Japanese

This is fun :) What do you think?

Yep it is very interesting the connections between languages. The word for heart in Swahili is Roho. Just listening to the various tongues that i have encountered, basic similarities can be heard that transcend them all. It's definitely like they all sprung from the same source, and have evolved and diversified since then while still retaining elements of the source within them for those who care to look for them.

You might enjoy reading "Babel: The Language of the 21st Century" by Abraham Abehsera - if you can find a copy.

Language IS one of the really fascinating things to look into!

Laura said:
You might enjoy reading "Babel: The Language of the 21st Century" by Abraham Abehsera - if you can find a copy.

I've read a bunch of quotes from that book in your books/writings, Laura. So it's another one that's hard to find, huh?

Basque Seeker said:
And this is a very interesting root. We see that in Russian, "siertse"(сердце) also comes from german "Herz".

Hmm. In Armenian, heart is "seerd." Very close to the Russian word.

In Greek the word for heart is kardiá [καρδιά] and of what I was able to determine it was the same word in ancient Greek too. For your collection ;)

Basque Seeker said:
If there was an ancient common language among humanity some clues should be remain. Most of the common words could change or mix through the ages, but maybe, just maybe we could find some clues in several nowadays words. For example, let's consider the word "heart". This word and concept is so important for humanity that sure it deserves some study. I'm pretty sure that you guys can do this much better than me, I just try to help with my two cents.
(...)
This is fun :) What do you think?
These words are supposed to derive from the proto-indo-european word "ker".
You may find this webpage interesting (it lists even more derivative words from the same root) :
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Proto-Indo-European/%E1%B8%B1%E1%B8%97r

About Proto-Indo-European language :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Indo-European_language
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Indo-European_root
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:List_of_Proto-Indo-European_roots

HTH.

:) Very interesting indeed, in Polish it is "serce"
In Japanese the kanji 心 kokoro is also interesting if you look at old pictograms

Wow! Amazing stuff in those links guys! I had heard and read about the Proto-Indo-European language before, but those links are awesome!

I can't find a copy of Abehsera's book, but i won't surrender on that yet :)

One more thing: Could you guys help me there? I realize that in Basque, heart is "bihotza" something that can remind the "herz" word somehow. Technicaly, or at least, officially, the Basque language, Euskera, is not a Proto-Indo-Europeam branch. Maybe it is just coincidence, or maybe I'm driftin'. Because I don't understand, if the Basque language is something derivative from Atlantis (according to transcripts), how can it be so different from the Proto-Indo-European language? In other words, have these sources (Atlantis derivations and Proto-Indo-European) something in common? :huh:

In Arabic, there are two words for heart - khulb and foo-ad. The kh is guttural and a bit difficult for me to pronounce. Khulb is very similar to the word "dog" which is kelb. So for me, I use fooad, so as not to be misunderstood. Being called a dog is a huge insult in the Arabic world.

Very very interesting subject here, I looked about the hebrew version, I found something that was like lev or levav. But considering the source I'm going to wait that a friend in Jerusalem wake up to ask her ;)
Lilou said:
In Arabic, there are two words for heart - khulb and foo-ad. The kh is guttural and a bit difficult for me to pronounce. Khulb is very similar to the word "dog" which is kelb. So for me, I use fooad, so as not to be misunderstood. Being called a dog is a huge insult in the Arabic world.
I concure and if my memory is correct, fooad have even become a first name derivative.

In Portuguese:

heart: "coração"

core: "núcleo", but also "cerne", which resembles kern.

The word "âmago" can mean both core and heart, but also spirit, as in the core of your being.

edit: proper spelling of âmago.

Hi guys, I've found an interesting article about the etimology of the word "heart", basically the author says that this word came from the Sanskrit "hrid", so I think it's very interesting. Pitifully, the article has copyright so I can not translate it and put it here, I just can post the link (pitifully again it's only available in Spanish, sorry!) :/

http://www.revespcardiol.org/es/revistas/revista-espa%C3%B1ola-cardiologia-25/etimologia-corazon-13059725-articulo-especial-2004

Finally, I surrender with the search of "Babel: The Language of the 21st Century" by Abraham Abehsera, I couldn't find a copy of it. But thank you anyway.

Basque Seeker said:
Pitifully, the article has copyright so I can not translate it and put it here, I just can post the link (pitifully again it's only available in Spanish, sorry!) :/

There is an exception of copyright law called "fair use". See _http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/107 . According to this, using content for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. A translation would still be copyrighted by the original author. Since this is a research forum, I think it's okay to copy/translate excerpts of the content here.

Basque Seeker said:
[...]
Finally, I surrender with the search of "Babel: The Language of the 21st Century" by Abraham Abehsera, I couldn't find a copy of it. But thank you anyway.

_http://www.amazon.com/Babel-The-Language-21st-Century/dp/9652222283

Back
Top Bottom