The Work and Illness

PepperFritz

The Cosmic Force
I have been doing a lot of reading, thinking, and meditating over the last few days, and in the process experienced some intense "shocks" -- both internal and external. Yesterday I was feeling like a huge "shift" had taken place, in terms of how I see myself, the world, and the future, and I felt very "energized" by it.

Then this morning I woke up with raging head cold, as though my body was mirroring my psyche's expulsion of "viruses". I'm wondering if this is a common experience for those doing "the Work" -- i.e. "shocks" accompanied by physical illness.

Hmm, I don't think so, not with me. For me its more of a mental thing, excitement/depression etc. But I think there are some people who have experienced what you're talking about.

If I remember correctly, Laura had some rather strong physical reactions to some realizations she had, which she wrote about in The Wave. I have also had similar experiences personally. When a realization shifts one's being radically it can upset one's equilibrium to the extent of causing illness, probably because with the realization comes the need to start seeing some very unpleasant things for what they are, which requires a lot of courage, especially if all the people around you are turning a blind eye to those same things.

Miss Isness said:
When a realization shifts one's being radically it can upset one's equilibrium to the extent of causing illness,
In my experience, the nature of the illness (Too hot/cold or Too dry/wet), and the location of it on your physical body can be an indication of what aspect of your mental processes has swung out of balance (i.e. witnessed a dramatic and sudden change), sort of like a language that your body is "speaking" OSIT.

For example, I've been having realisations lately about speaking to people in a manner that is more respective of their free will, instead of forcing my views. Now I have a cold that is affecting my throat the most with aches and sharp pains.

But that’s just speculation; there are a whole load of other factors that I can think of too that might bring about this cold… :P

Come to think of it, I had a lucid dream last night where I seemed to be more in control of my environment, had more awareness about what to do there, and could sustain the lucidity longer than ever before, I heard that the throat correlates with dreaming, so I wonder if it's connected?

PepperFritz said:
Then this morning I woke up with raging head cold, as though my body was mirroring my psyche's expulsion of "viruses". I'm wondering if this is a common experience for those doing "the Work" -- i.e. "shocks" accompanied by physical illness.
FWIW, I had a terrible cold for over a week, just when I started to participate in some SOTT activities, and I was devastated for not being so sick in the last 10 years... and later, after few shocks, I had a high temperature for almost a week, few times... Just temperature, not being really sick. But it felt like I was on fire :/

PepperFritz said:
I have been doing a lot of reading, thinking, and meditating over the last few days, and in the process experienced some intense "shocks" -- both internal and external. Yesterday I was feeling like a huge "shift" had taken place, in terms of how I see myself, the world, and the future, and I felt very "energized" by it.
From what I know now, it's all about the balance. And although I'm aware of that and telling it to myself all of my life - every once in a while I fail in doing it. One has to take care of him/herself and not overdo it, some realizations may put you seriously off balance and if you don't step back and take time to adjust to it, it will weaken you and create an opposite effect. It happened to me.

At the same time, after 'passing' some shocks, it's very easy to mistaken it for some 'new I' and become delusional about the amount of actual Work done. It's so so easy to fall back to sleep while thinking we are finally awake. The more I learn - the more I'm aware of many illusions dancing inside of me and around me, so most of all we should remind ourself it's a process, ongoing work process. After each new step, there's another one, on the stairway. So, take a deep breath and keep on climbing and remind yourself to observe carefully, cause sometimes when we think we are high - we are actually standing in place or even going down... And also, sometimes, when it seems like we're falling - we are going up.

Color said:
...after 'passing' some shocks, it's very easy to mistaken it for some 'new I' and become delusional about the amount of actual Work done.
WOW, color, you exactly elucidated something here that i've been trying to put my finger on for the last week or so. thank you for sharing your insights!

Color said:
At the same time, after 'passing' some shocks, it's very easy to mistaken it for some 'new I' and become delusional about the amount of actual Work done. It's so so easy to fall back to sleep while thinking we are finally awake....
Yes, very true. When I say I felt "energized", I didn't really mean it in "I feel great" kind of way. More of a sense of being "jarred", hyper-sensitive, with my nerves standing on end. And a sense of grim determination/commitment to continue the process, no matter how unpleasant. I find that shocks are usually followed by feelings of depression and self-mortification before any sense of "well being" sets in. I think any sense of "self congratulation" one might have is a sure clue that very little true "work" has taken place.

Growth is not a linear process, more like a spiral constantly shifting direction. Often shedding one program only results in adopting different one to replace it. The only thing I feel absolutely certain about is the fact that I am self-deluded the vast majority of the time. I do not expect to become "finally awake" in this lifetime, only to experience more frequent and increasingly sustained moments of lucidity and clarity. Nonetheless, I know that I *do* progress, no matter how small the steps may be.

PepperFritz said:

For me it has been more physical symptoms than anything else. Mainly a searing shoulder pain during periods of high intensity, which shifted from one side to another. However this could be completely unrelated and just a little "wishful thinking" on my part. ;)

Johnno said:
However this could be completely unrelated and just a little "wishful thinking" on my part. ;)
Yes, to paraphrase Freud, sometimes a shoulder pain is just a shoulder pain, and sometimes a head cold is just a head cold.... ;)

Johnno said:
For me it has been more physical symptoms than anything else. Mainly a searing shoulder pain during periods of high intensity, which shifted from one side to another. However this could be completely unrelated and just a little "wishful thinking" on my part.
Pepperfritz said:
to paraphrase Freud, sometimes a shoulder pain is just a shoulder pain, and sometimes a head cold is just a head cold...
How can you know?

Maybe you could try healing your shoulders (along with the rest of your body), making them stronger, supple and more relaxed, then during periods of intensity, observe any differences in your mental/emotional processing and physical location of pain? ;)

You might find that there is a correlation, and a root cause. And if not, well, IMO I think health benefits, just on its own is worth pursuing.

Just a suggestion, maybe I’m assuming too much, but I think I have a similar problem with my shoulders, this book has helped me, it could help you:

_http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chi-Kung-Lam-Kam-Chuen/dp/1856752151/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1201158032&sr=8-1

Johnno said:
For me it has been more physical symptoms than anything else. Mainly a searing shoulder pain during periods of high intensity, which shifted from one side to another. However this could be completely unrelated and just a little "wishful thinking" on my part.
Yeah, me too with the agonizing shoulder pain, it 's been just as painful as being in labour! Have seen a doctor, who can't find any cause, just maybe some "muscle strain". So I don't know either, but yes, it's wise to always be watchful for slipping into wishful thinking.

This might have some relevance to what is being mentioned on this thread:

Cassiopaean session 941119 said:
Q: (L) What is causing the pain in Jan's right shoulder since
several of us have been having this exact same symptom?
A: DNA changes.
Q: (L) Can Reiki be used to help alleviate the discomfort?
A: Not necessary or recommended.
Q: (L) Do we just have to suffer through this one?
A: Each "suffering" will be closely followed by dramatic life
changes.
Q: (V) Is there any reason why I have not experienced this
discomfort?
A: You will.
fwiw.

That is extremely interesting. My shoulder pain is related to a chronic condition I have had for many years, called Reiter's Syndrome, which encompasses a number of inflammatory conditions -- arthritis (joints), fibromyalgia (nerves and muscles), iritis (eyes), asthma (lungs), etc. Almost everyone with this condition has a rare gene/tissue type known as HLA-B27. Also, Fibromyalgia (the main cause of my shoulder pain) is a relatively "new" malady, and doctors are finding that more and more people are suffering from it.

Very very interesting.

mada85 said:
This might have some relevance to what is being mentioned on this thread:

Cassiopaean session 941119 said:
Q: (L) What is causing the pain in Jan's right shoulder since
several of us have been having this exact same symptom?
A: DNA changes.
Q: (L) Can Reiki be used to help alleviate the discomfort?
A: Not necessary or recommended.
Q: (L) Do we just have to suffer through this one?
A: Each "suffering" will be closely followed by dramatic life
changes.
Q: (V) Is there any reason why I have not experienced this
discomfort?
A: You will.
fwiw.

Novelis said:
Maybe you could try healing your shoulders (along with the rest of your body), making them stronger, supple and more relaxed, then during periods of intensity, observe any differences in your mental/emotional processing and physical location of pain?
Well, in my case, it was the head cold that seemed sudden and out of the blue, and therefore possibly related to the recent jolts to my psyche.

My shoulder pain is related to a chronic condition called Reiter's Syndrome (see my post to Mada85 directly above), which is a much more complex life-long condition. It has been a catalyst in my life that has led to much self-knowledge and spiritual growth, and for that reason I believe that it was probably chosen before incarnation for learning purposes. I have developed a number of self-healing techniques (such as physical exercise, stretching, meditation, etc.) that help to keep the condition under control and in remission at times. But I have also come to view it as probably "symptomatic" of deeper changes, as suggested by the C's, and therefore not in need of a "cure"....

Firstly, I apologise for suggesting that this method is THE way of figuring out a possible correlation between doing the work and it’s possible effect on the physical body.

PepperFritz said:
My shoulder pain is related to a chronic condition called Reiter's Syndrome (see my post to Mada85 directly above), which is a much more complex life-long condition. It has been a catalyst in my life that has led to much self-knowledge and spiritual growth, and for that reason I believe that it was probably chosen before incarnation for learning purposes. I have developed a number of self-healing techniques (such as physical exercise, stretching, meditation, etc.) that help to keep the condition under control and in remission at times.
May I ask what system of meditation you are following? Cross legged and all that? What are you focusing on while meditating?

Different systems of physical exercise (sports, martial arts, ect.) and stretching are all components that form the synthesis of becoming/keeping healthy in a scientific manner, which has a causative background based on research of human anatomy, trial/error and common sense.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but in light of these facts, you are simply practising healthy common sense developing your system of self-healing techniques based on learning through experiencing what works and what doesn’t.

PepperFritz said:
But I have also come to view it as probably "symptomatic" of deeper changes, as suggested by the C's, and therefore not in need of a "cure"....
Hey, if that’s what you do to stay healthy, then that’s what’s good for you.

I tried stretching, running and all that, but my awareness of my own body was so bad that I just hurt myself doing these things without understanding the basics of structure, balance and alinement.

If you are building a house, why not make sure it has good foundations before doing anything else?

My recommendation was merely another component of that same synthesis mentioned above, but the most basic and fundamental aspect that works towards becoming competent in rooting, relaxing and maintaining a proper structure.

It’s a system that isn’t widely understood in the west and is often viewed as mystical or magical, when in fact it’s just a rather logical method of aiding and anchoring exactly what YOU aim to achieve “developing a number of self-healing techniques” that “help to keep the condition under control and in remission at times”.

You don’t have to take my word for it, but the technique I was suggesting you to try is perfectly grounded in common sense and down to earth hypotheses of anatomical science.

You might be surprised by what this system may help curing, my asthema and allergies have certainly gotten better after 15 minutes of this everyday.

Again, I might be wrong about your meaning, but the way you are using the word “cure” seems to express an assumption on your part that this system is some kind of a magical pill that provides relief without the prerequisite work that is demanded to perfect ANY kind of physical exercise (football, swimming, ect.).

I assume you know that there is no such shortcut, and, providing you practise this system with care, scrutiny, patience and an inquisitive nature of experimentation and methodical analysis, which leads towards an eventual “cure” of your medical ailments, it will only be after long periods of consistent work and based on an objective understanding of your ailments, not on some hocus-pocus, airy fairy magic "cure" that deprive you of your natural lessons.

I’m not here to determine what your lessons are, that’s your choice. But I’ve been plagued by terrible health my whole life, and, learning why my body was in such a state due to my own ignorance of how to walk, stand, sit, breathe, eat and sleep (live) the way my body was designed to function, hasn’t been anything separate from learning about anything else about my life, in the sense of what this website has taught me so far.

But then, I must admit to having programs of attachment and an egotistical attitude sometimes towards what I’ve learned in my self taught system of keeping fit, which I’m trying to discover and root out too, I’m sorry for coming across this way, I’d appreciate any insights of how I may have misunderstood what you’ve said, or if I’ve seen things in your post that weren’t there simply because of my own attachments of trying to make people see its value.

Keep well everybody!

Back
Top Bottom