There is no Thinker!

It was... interesting sounding I suppose, but it felt like a very shallow idea to be honest, and the speech speed... oh lord, couldn't handle it.

So his idea is that you are the awareness of what happens to you, even your thoughts and realizing that is freedom. Which again, sounds interesting and has nuggets of truth, being the awareness of what transpire in your mind, but at the same time I feel it misses the active role that one can have over what transpires in one's mind, and the active role one can have in inquiring about what transpires.

I believe that is part of the human experience, and what I think the video was aiming at was, just detach yourself from your thoughts and feelings because they're not you... period. Which sounds, at best, like an incomplete idea.

And the music, and the speed of speech of the video, made me distrust it immediately, like a gut feeling of someone attempting to get my brain into a specific wave pattern.

It could just be me.

It was... interesting sounding I suppose, but it felt like a very shallow idea to be honest, and the speech speed... oh lord, couldn't handle it.

So his idea is that you are the awareness of what happens to you, even your thoughts and realizing that is freedom. Which again, sounds interesting and has nuggets of truth, being the awareness of what transpire in your mind, but at the same time I feel it misses the active role that one can have over what transpires in one's mind, and the active role one can have in inquiring about what transpires.

I believe that is part of the human experience, and what I think the video was aiming at was, just detach yourself from your thoughts and feelings because they're not you... period. Which sounds, at best, like an incomplete idea.

And the music, and the speed of speech of the video, made me distrust it immediately, like a gut feeling of someone attempting to get my brain into a specific wave pattern.

It could just be me.
The entire Youtube channel is nuts, it’s called YourHigherSelf, and there’s another video about how you don’t have Free Will. I always wonder who’s behind producing crap like this, because it probably isn’t cheap to make.

You said it right, some truth, but obscured with the usual new age blabbing. And that truth is Gurdjieff rip off. I would rather read original Gurdjieff than listen to stuff like this.

No problem with the voice, but I usually listen youtube with 2x speed.

I think it's automated, ie the voice-over is done with a text-to-speech program... The visuals possibly done in some similar way, eg a list of keywords used to trigger clips from a large library of stock video. I might be wrong, only guessing.. but that's what it feels like. Feels like someone feeds text files into a piece of software and it spits out all the videos on this channel.. Lots of times the voiceover has wrong/unnatural inflection in the same way computerised speaking programs do... And yeah it's so hypnotic and mechanical sounding! I was served an ad on youtube earlier today which had the exact same vibe, though with a woman's voice. It had the same weird wrong-context inflection on some words, and endless supply of generic sort-of-related vid clips..
So stuff like this might actually be super cheap to produce.. and there are heaps of channels utterly packed full of it... Youtube is so weird!!

Hi Toni,
If you're interested in delving more deeply in the thinking processes of the mind and how to play a conscious part in the way you think i would like to recommend reading Stanton Samenow's book "Inside the Criminal mind" which has been discussed extensively on the forum.

The following article does an excellent job in summarizing Samenow's ideas brought in his book: Shoot that arrow: Cleaning up your inner thought world for a lasting form of happiness

I hope it may help.

Toni, Interesting you brought this up. Like they say, the devil is always in the details.

Is there some accuracy in some of the assertions made? Yes, I think so. But the entire narrative is not totally accurate and comes to some questionable conclusions. And so, ironically, it does take real thinking to actually suss out the errors and alternate ways of looking at this issue. And what is the issue? What exactly is a "you".

I agree with Alejo and others that the presentation is skewed, hypnotic and the AI voice is manipulated and that is a red flag. I couldn't figure out the site owner either. It is hard to discern what the intent is, although my guess is that the creator of this is indeed repackaging and reimagining some of Gurdjieff's ideas along with a lot of positive reinforcement stuff and may even be intending to be of some kind of service. Not everybody reads Gurdjieff or Ouspensky etc. but everyone, these days, watches video clips as a part of their search for the truth. But then again, this may be targeting a lot of lost Milennials to...IDK?

One verification of these ideas is that when I dream, I am the removed observer of the actions of an actor in some situation who appears to be me but I don't always feel that is is me. And it is true that you can't say just where "you" are although that is a bit of a psychological parlor trick. There is a field of awareness we have access to in varying degrees but as for the exact location of "me", it doesn't exist. I get it. When the amygdala gets hijacked by a chemical overload, I don't think thinking occurs. Fight or flight kicks in and the rational mind has a real struggle on it's hands. It is also true that the mind never ceases its own blabbering narrative. That is not thinking either. And God knows we have all been programmed from birth in so many ways on so many levels right down to those levels beneath the conscious awareness. So, real thinking is a kind of rarity and takes effort.

So, yeah, it is a fascinating exercise to ask these questions. (who am I; what am I; or as Pink Floyd put it: "Is anybody out there?") It is primal stuff. It is also very vaporous and subjective

Unwind the ball of string or the rubber bands inside a golf ball and what do you have left?

It is like trying to define the conscious awareness unit by saying what it is not.

There is no satisfying answer.

OK I watched a few snippets from the other vids on YT... a mixed bag. I actually think this could help some lost soul in some ways but I wouldn't make a religion out of it.

Disclaimer: This is just a series of opinions expressed as random thoughts flowing out into the keyboard that I do not possess and did not create.

wink wink

Back
Top Bottom