Title change : Kerrygold faces lawsuit after falsely claiming to be grassfed

sbeaudry

Jedi Council Member
I think the title of this article should be changed. Kerrygold isn't falsely claiming that it's grassfed. The lawsuit alleges the claim is false, but it's nonsense.
It could read: Frivolous lawsuit claims kerrygold not grassfed or something similar but for the article to be titled as it is now presumes guilt, IMO.

Edited:typo

I have been eating KerryGold for many years. I tried other organic grassfed one's too, but I liked KerryGold ( taste etc.) and it is widely available in bulk and cheaper than others. Given that it is available every where, I wondered how grassfed it is. Here is one article( March 2017) I read before.
Kerrygold has lost popularity in the healthy food community in recent years because it came to light that their butter is NOT 100% grass-fed.

According to Kerrygold: “Irish dairy cows enjoy a healthy grass-based diet all year round. During peak milk production in the summer months, cows graze outdoors on our lush green pastures all day long. Even in winter months Irish cows enjoy a predominantly grass-based diet. They eat silage which is fermented high moisture fodder cut from summer grass and stored for winter feeding.

Irish dairy cows enjoy a healthy grass-based diet all year round. The vast majority of an Irish cow’s diet, almost 85 per cent, is from rich, natural grass. Supplementary feed makes up about 15 per cent of a cow’s diet. The exact percentages can vary depending on availability of the ingredients.

Like all natural ingredients, the weather can affect harvests, which in turn affects availability of ingredients to the agricultural industry.”

Taken from the Live Simply Blog, quoting Kerrygold: Our ongoing discussions with the grain and dairy industry have established that of this approximately 10% grain/supplements, approximately 20 to 25% may be from GM sources. This means that approximately 3% of a cow’s total typical annual diet may be from GM sources

At present, the Irish Dairy Board cannot guarantee that grain supplements used by farmers will all be GM free…”

In other words, maaaaybe 3% of the feed given to the cows that produce milk for Kerrygold is GMO.

The question also revolves around "Is it possible to feed cow grass during winter season". Consensus seems to be it is very difficult to raise cows on grass during winter. Another argument is, farmers grow grass in excess during summer, roll and pack it for storage to be used for Winter.

One option suggested look for "100% grassfed". Google search does bring some 100% grass fed, but not sure how true they are.

I have tried a few different organic butters. I am slightly sensitive to butter, but it is a convenient and available fat source so I use it when I don't have beef tallow or am being lazy. Maybe I should boil it down into ghee. But I notice that Kerrygold produces very little, if any inflammatory reaction. So on that basis, I think it's the best.

Some organic butters taste just plain. Those are the ones I wonder about. But I think this comes down to being grass fed or not. The grass fed butter should be more nutrient rich.

Back
Top Bottom