Toothpaste Recipes

Soluna

Jedi Master
FOTCM Member
I've recently started using Coconut oil for pulling, and purchased some Bicarbonate of Soda to make some homemade toothpaste.

I was wondering if anyone could share their recipes for home made toothpaste? I looked up a number online which seemed interesting, and also searched the forum but couldn't find any detailed ones here.

So far I have tried different consistencies and ratios of Bicarb and water. The saltiness is fairly foul tasting, but bearable.
However I am finding I experience a stinging sensation, especially on the tongue and around the inner lips during the brushing phase - perhaps this is just getting accustomed to this method, or maybe I am doing something wrong?

I know you're not supposed to swallow the oil used for pulling - however is there any benefit to taking any of the coconut oil afterwards?

Hi Soluna. Here's a recent brief discussion on toothpaste ingredients, though the thread is about dentistry. http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,32810.msg498646.html#msg498646

The idea of oil pulling is to get rid of toxins floating around the mouth and then to coat the teeth with a thin film of oil - so swallowing the oil is definitely not recommended (if it works as advertised).

nicklebleu said:
The idea of oil pulling is to get rid of toxins floating around the mouth and then to coat the teeth with a thin film of oil - so swallowing the oil is definitely not recommended (if it works as advertised).

Yes, you shouldn't swallow it. I actually did some oil pulling yesterday for the first time, I don't know how people can do that for 20 minutes long! Maybe with practice, that'll be easier.

This is the product we have for oil pulling: _http://www.amazon.de/Menta-Mund%C3%B6l-Aman-Prana-200/dp/B00EX8UOII
But coconut oil should be great for it as well.

And the toothpaste I use (which I think is pretty good), also contains baking soda, and xylitol which is also healthy for the teeth: _http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Solutions-Xyli-White-Toothpaste-Gel-with-Baking-Soda-Fluoride-Free-Platinum-Mint-6-4-oz-181-g/11465#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=toothpaste%20now&rc=19&sr=null&ic=5

I once watched a youtube video of a girl who makes her toothpaste by mixing baking soda with lemon juice until a paste is formed, and only uses that once a month using a different toothbrush, and daily uses a regular non-fluoride toothpaste. As using baking soda too often may not be good as it is abrasive. I personally use the toothpaste above daily, I'd think the baking soda in there is in small amounts. I haven't noticed a problem yet (just that the minty flavor is quite strong).

Hi Soluna

I too have been experiementing with making my own toothpaste. At first I made one with coconut oil, himalayan salt and bicarb of soda, unfortunately I used too much soda and my gums became very inflammed. I have learnt that it is very caustic so I only use a flat teaspoonful now and half a teaspoon of the salt.

The recipe I now use has crushed up calcium tablets (grind to a powder with a pestle & mortar). 1 flat teaspoon bicarb soda & half teaspoon himalayan salt all ground together. Mix enough coconut oil to make a stiff paste (to your liking)

Apparentely the calcium re mineralises the enamel on the teeth and the same effect can be had by grinding egg shells though Im reluctant to try it....dont know why!

Some people do the oil pulling while in the shower or bath to save time.

Anyway I read this all on ths internet but Im sorry I dont have the links.

i experimented with making my own toothpaste for about 6 months and whilst i found some benefits, i realised that unless i was able to buy all the right ingredients - rather than 'make do' - i may actually be doing damage. That's just me though. I now use Theraneem Toothpaste (organic & using the bark and leaves from the Neem tree) it's about the same price of a good quality toothpaste and contains a lot of great ingredients, clove, Xylitol, Neem, Fennel, Different Mints etc..

My first mistake was too much essential oil, which can be abrasive and stain the teeth, i understand - but i read Rosemary (antibacterial & antiseptic), Tea Tree (similar) and Peppermint were good, and found the peppermint really helps get the blood flowing and provides the 'after freshness' that we are used to with toothpaste.

I read that Bentonite clay was one of the best ingredients to use as a base, apparently it draws out impurities from the teeth.

Sea Salt is ideal to add to the mixture for it's healing qualities.

Calcium powders were also popular, and i assume the effect is that some of the calcium transfers somehow?... (calcium bicarbonate is in my bought toothpaste).

Bicarbonate of soda... this was a problem for me since i brush way too hard and i think i actually rubbed off enamel. I also read the abrasiveness of Bicarb was one of the highest of all the products used on teeth. I still use it prior to brushing as a mouthwash, to neutralise any acids prior to brushing sometimes with essential oils. My Nanna brushed with Bicarb regularly though.

As for the Bicarb & Lemon, this i believe should only be used as an irregular 'whitening treatment', but it apparently works.

My routine now is: Bicarb mouthwash, then the Neem toothpaste and i finish with a quick brush with coconut oil and swill the mixture (as if i was oil pulling), often, in the evening, i will extend the oil pulling to 10 minutes, i have noticed a healthier mouth when i oil pull. But i still have a way to go till my teeth are sorted.

I understand most important of all, from listeing to the Nagiel 'Remineralise your teeth' guy that diet has the most impact, so i am working towards getting the right fats and phosphorous, magnesium, boron; there are more but that's just off the top of my head.

After some experimentation, my wife came up with this recipe which tastes/works really well for us:
- 2 tsp. Sodium bicarbonat
- Salt (not too much)
- 2 tsp. Xylit
- 2 tsp. Coconut oil
- Peppermint oil (to taste)

Preparation:

- If the coconut oil is hard, heat it a little so that it becomes soft
- Put in all the other ingredients and stir well
- Once it became hard again, stir well another round, otherwise the oil will separate itself

Of course, if you want to make a bigger batch, you can scale. You can also leave out the peppermint oil or use another oil, but we really like the peppermint flavor. We also found that too much salt doesn't taste so well...

I've heard of the calcium powders; so it seems they may be able to remineralize your teeth. My teeth are sensitive and a little worn. I wonder if I should leave out the vinegar in my meats and bone broth. I have all the ingredients for making various toothpaste mixtures.

If you make some with coconut oil, it's probably best to spit it in a cup or something and not the drain. I'd think if you ran cold water on the oil, it would harden and clog the drain.

French Marigold said:

That's a good tip. I've heard oil pulling is good from someone at work, but I never tried it myself.

3D Student said:
I've heard of the calcium powders; so it seems they may be able to remineralize your teeth. My teeth are sensitive and a little worn. I wonder if I should leave out the vinegar in my meats and bone broth. I have all the ingredients for making various toothpaste mixtures.

If you make some with coconut oil, it's probably best to spit it in a cup or something and not the drain. I'd think if you ran cold water on the oil, it would harden and clog the drain.

French Marigold said:

That's a good tip. I've heard oil pulling is good from someone at work, but I never tried it myself.

Hi 3D

Ive had good sucess with the calcium powder and I too have sensitive teeth. Im 52 so my teeth were showing signs of wear with one of them being cracked and repaired by dentist. Im sure my teeth are getting whiter too!

I enjoy the taste of my home made calcium paste and find if I have to use a store bought one that they are very sweet, even the natural flouride free ones.

itellsya said:
i experimented with making my own toothpaste for about 6 months and whilst i found some benefits, i realised that unless i was able to buy all the right ingredients - rather than 'make do' - i may actually be doing damage. That's just me though. I now use Theraneem Toothpaste (organic & using the bark and leaves from the Neem tree) it's about the same price of a good quality toothpaste and contains a lot of great ingredients, clove, Xylitol, Neem, Fennel, Different Mints etc..

My first mistake was too much essential oil, which can be abrasive and stain the teeth, i understand - but i read Rosemary (antibacterial & antiseptic), Tea Tree (similar) and Peppermint were good, and found the peppermint really helps get the blood flowing and provides the 'after freshness' that we are used to with toothpaste.

I read that Bentonite clay was one of the best ingredients to use as a base, apparently it draws out impurities from the teeth.

Sea Salt is ideal to add to the mixture for it's healing qualities.

Calcium powders were also popular, and i assume the effect is that some of the calcium transfers somehow?... (calcium bicarbonate is in my bought toothpaste).

Bicarbonate of soda... this was a problem for me since i brush way too hard and i think i actually rubbed off enamel. I also read the abrasiveness of Bicarb was one of the highest of all the products used on teeth. I still use it prior to brushing as a mouthwash, to neutralise any acids prior to brushing sometimes with essential oils. My Nanna brushed with Bicarb regularly though.

As for the Bicarb & Lemon, this i believe should only be used as an irregular 'whitening treatment', but it apparently works.

My routine now is: Bicarb mouthwash, then the Neem toothpaste and i finish with a quick brush with coconut oil and swill the mixture (as if i was oil pulling), often, in the evening, i will extend the oil pulling to 10 minutes, i have noticed a healthier mouth when i oil pull. But i still have a way to go till my teeth are sorted.

I understand most important of all, from listeing to the Nagiel 'Remineralise your teeth' guy that diet has the most impact, so i am working towards getting the right fats and phosphorous, magnesium, boron; there are more but that's just off the top of my head.

Hi Itellsya

When I was doing my research on making toothpaste a few sites mentioned that benotite clay does absorb and draw out impurities but it may do this to the mecury in fillings. So I decided not to use it.

I dont think its a good idea to brush with bicarb soda all the time.....a small amount blended with other ingredients is fine. Just my 2c worth.

Thank you for the links and suggestions! I hadn't noticed the recipes in that other thread and assumed it was more specific to dentistry than the homemade toothpaste itself, in future I'll try more thorough search terms.

There are certainly a lot of formulas to try - I liked how readily available many of the ingredients are.

My mouth is feeling generally nicer - although I may be imagining it through paying more attention. I've been pulling most days, and brushing alternate days simply with water and then bicarb although I will try some other milder formulations.

Two nights ago I decided to make my own toothpaste. I used a combination of a few recipes. The base recipe is:

4 Tablespoons Bentonite Clay

3 Tablespoons Calcium Magnesium/Carbonate Powder

2 Tablespoons Powdered Mint Leaf (optional, or can use essential oil)- Powder in blender, food processor or coffee grinder.

1 Tablespoon (or more to taste) Xylitol Powder

3-5 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil (to get desired texture)

Essential oils for taste (10 drops)- completely optional but Peppermint, Spearmint and Cinnamon are good. I buy mine from Mountain Rose Herbs.

Trace Minerals drops (40 drops)

I didn't use the powdered mint leaf. I used two Tbsp of xylitol but it was coarse. I think it would be better if finely ground. You can see the gritty xylitol pieces in the pic below. I used only 5 peppermint oil drops, and it seemed like it could use more. And I made mine extra "soupy" with 5 Tbsp of coconut oil. It hardened later though as we have the AC cranked. I used a bamboo spoon to mix it up and put on my toothbrush.

It felt good on my teeth the first night, I've never oil pulled or anything like that. I'll have to see how it goes, as I had a sore gum for some reason. I can't remember if it coincided exactly with the homemade toothpaste I made.

Attachments

• paste2.jpg
    paste2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 181
3D Student said:
It felt good on my teeth the first night, I've never oil pulled or anything like that. I'll have to see how it goes, as I had a sore gum for some reason. I can't remember if it coincided exactly with the homemade toothpaste I made.

From all the research i did on making your own toothpaste, the recipe looks great 3D Student, and i believe the cinnamon is whitening? Perhaps if it didn't leave you feeling really fresh, like you say, add more mint. And if you can swill with the mixture, like a mouthwash pushing through your teeth (i do it for like 30 seconds) - as with oil pulling - you may be more satisfied with how it feels. I do this with the Neem paste i'm using because overall, i think we get used to the clinical freshness of chemical toothpastes. And so we feel slightly uneasy, as if it hasn't done its job. Then again, since keto involves no added sugars etc.. our teeth, eventually, should reflect how effective our diet has been.

One tip i heard from a friend which i have never forgotten: On visiting her dentist, he asked her "and how often do you brush your gums?" She told me this was the strangest thing, but he informed her that 'brushing your gums' ie. encouraging circulation, is one of the most effective ways to healthy teeth (and gums) - this is also why i think a really minty toothpaste feels much more satisfying, and is probably beneficial because mint encourages circulation. I hadn't been doing this either! I began doing it a few years ago and i honestly think had i not, when my diet had much more sugar, my gums and teeth would be worse off. It seems to be an issue in our family and i think i have *just* caught it at the right time.

Since brushing my gums pretty much every time (brushing everywhere), they became quite sensitive - probably because they were in desperate need of some oxygenation (i have a very dry mouth, i'm hot according to TChineseMedicine) - but what i see is that the bad tissue on my gums receded slightly but the tooth healed, covering the spot and the gum (for now) seems to be growing back much healthier. I think it was damaged, has been cleaned off and is now healing. Time will tell; and i will of course update should anything change. But i definitely recommend brushing the gums. (i may be stating the obvious, but i had never thought of it)

Oh, a drop or 2 of clove oil/powder may help with any soreness/sensitivity, i read that clove actually aids healing as well it's numbing effects. But just a little, i found 1 drop could easily last me a week when mixed as a bicarb/clove mouth powder (to use as mouthwash). And i mentioned elsewhere that Comfrey is reknowned for such jobs - it's called knitbone, traditionally. I just found this: _http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/cloves.html

Medicinal properties and health benefits of cloves

The active principles in the clove are known to have antioxidant, anti-septic, local anesthetic, anti-inflammatory, rubefacient (warming and soothing), carminative and anti-flatulent properties.

The spice also contains a good amount of minerals like potassium, manganese, iron, selenium and magnesium. Potassium is an important electrolyte of cell and body fluids that helps control heart rate and blood pressure. Manganese is used by the body as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase.

Further, the spice buds contain very good amounts of vitamin A and beta-carotene levels. These compounds are known to have antioxidant properties. Vitamin A is also required by the body for maintaining healthy mucus membranes and skin in addition to essential for vision. Consumption of natural foods rich in flavonoids helps to protect the body from lung and oral cavity cancers.

Additionally, this spice is a good source of vitamin-K, vitamin-B6 (pyridoxine), thiamin (vitamin B-1), vitamin-C and riboflavin. Consumption of foods rich in vitamin C helps the body develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenge harmful oxygen-free radicals.

3D Student said:
Two nights ago I decided to make my own toothpaste. I used a combination of a few recipes. The base recipe is:

4 Tablespoons Bentonite Clay

3 Tablespoons Calcium Magnesium/Carbonate Powder

2 Tablespoons Powdered Mint Leaf (optional, or can use essential oil)- Powder in blender, food processor or coffee grinder.

1 Tablespoon (or more to taste) Xylitol Powder

3-5 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil (to get desired texture)

Essential oils for taste (10 drops)- completely optional but Peppermint, Spearmint and Cinnamon are good. I buy mine from Mountain Rose Herbs.

Trace Minerals drops (40 drops)

I didn't use the powdered mint leaf. I used two Tbsp of xylitol but it was coarse. I think it would be better if finely ground. You can see the gritty xylitol pieces in the pic below. I used only 5 peppermint oil drops, and it seemed like it could use more. And I made mine extra "soupy" with 5 Tbsp of coconut oil. It hardened later though as we have the AC cranked. I used a bamboo spoon to mix it up and put on my toothbrush.

Thanks for sharing your recipe, a suggestion only: try adding half - one teaspoon of bicarb soda. It might give the feeling of cleaner teeth and also has a slight foaming effect. I love bicarb of soda it can be used for so many things but only a little is beneficial in toothpaste.

Edit=Quote

As sometimes I was missing the STRONG fresh flavour that current toothpastes were giving me, at one point I started adding eucalyptus oil to the basic original ingredients we are using here and it felt really right for me. Dentists do recommend it for bleeding gums and I´ve read it has a whole range of benefits as antiseptic, bloodflow improvement and skin regeneration, kills parasites and virus, among other benefits.

As I can´t use tapwater in my area, I also add some eucalyptus and peppermint drops in the bottle of water I use for rincing my teeth, which I actually found it a much better way to keep the fresh flavouring of the mix longer in my mouth.

Thank you for the coconut oil tip. I´ve just tried it now and it makes a big difference. :thup:

Back
Top Bottom