Train derailments and explosions and chemical spills

Re: Train Derailments and Explosions 2013

Yozilla said:
Anthony said:
Al Qaeda planning attacks on high-speed trains in Europe
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/19/us-germany-security-qaeda-idUSBRE97I0IN20130819

Wow!
That's some real good reasoning Mr Watson, indeed (AKA Anthony)! :thup:

Ah those wicked flagitious geniuses! :phaser:

Y

Manipulating to the end. If it were not so sinister for normal people, they would be worthy of the greatest of empathy for their sad destinations.
In my case it's hard to have empathy for those pathological, because I feel so much hatred. And perhaps this also happens to many.

August 23, 2013 - Friday - Savannah, Georgia Freight train derailment
http://www.thecoastalsource.com/2013/08/23/train-derails-on-savannahs-east-side/

A train carrying some hazardous materials derailed on Savannah’s east side around noon Friday. The track is operated by the Golden Isles Terminal Railroad. A spokesman says nine cars went off the track but remained upright. The stalled train blocked two crossings at East Bolton and East Waldburg Streets. Three cars were empty, two cars contained particle board, and four cars were carrying hazardous chemicals – molten sulfur and lube oil. The spokesman said nothing leaked and no one got hurt.

August 22, 2013 - Thursday - Columbus, Ohio Freight train derailment
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/public/2013/08/22/Tanker-car-overturns-on-South-Side.html

A single railroad tanker car carrying 23,000 gallons of a solvent derailed on the South Side, causing the evacuation of about a dozen homes and the closure of Parsons Avenue while the car was righted. The car was filled with methyl acetate, and the liquid shifted and a brake loosened, said Battalion Chief Patrick Ferguson of the Columbus Division of Fire.

August 22, 2013 - Thursday - South Side Englewood, Chicago - Passenger train derailment
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?id=9215033

A CTA Red Line train derailed early Thursday in the South Side Englewood neighborhood. The southbound Red Line train derailed at 12:50 a.m. at 63rd and Ashland, CTA spokesman Steve Mayberry said. Passengers were unloaded from the derailed train and the power was removed at the Ashland station. Bus shuttles were provided between Ashland and Garfield for about five or six hours. Two other trains at 63rd and Loomis and 63rd and Peoria were affected by the derailed train and those passengers were also removed. Riders from the Loomis train walked the tracks to the Ashland station and firefighters assisted people at the Peoria station. No reported injuries. The cause of the derailment is under investigation.

JayMark said:
Yozilla said:
I wonder if Earth is opening up (sinkholes emerging all over) there could be another (beside electrical reason) catch here. I mean, due to tectonic activity, ground below very precisely engineered rails is not firm any more - it could be "stretching" and shifting/sinking in various ways. There is very narrow range of aberration that can be "tolerated". Furthermore railway infrastructure with no "firm ground" in base, like bridges, could be even more endangered IMHO...

Y

That's also what I thought at first.

Since the Earth is seemingly 'opening up', this change could also have an impact on railroads, making them unsafe/dangerous. That could also explain the raise in landslides and various other similar phenomena, osit. No firm ground indeed.

I also though about the same cause. In addition to deformations, it could also explain why railway parts break without any obvious reason. Topological change, even if unnoticeable can generate huge mechanical constraints on rigid systems like railways).

For example, in Bretigny, France a train derailed because a rail joint popped out. What caused this joint to pop out? Incorrectly tightened bolts or excessive mechanical constraints?

Here is another for the ever growing list

http://www.kvue.com/news/state/No-one-hurt-after-train-derails-in-San-Antonio-220961531.html

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Amtrak officials say none of the 46 passengers on a train that derailed in South Texas were hurt.

The train was headed from Chicago to San Antonio on Friday night.

The San Antonio Express-News reports Saturday that Amtrak spokesman Cliff Cole said the lead engine of the Texas Eagle train lost contact with the track about two miles from its scheduled stop at Sunset Station near downtown San Antonio.

Cole said passengers were provided with bus transportation to continue their trip.

The exit to South Alamo Street was blocked off so crews could work on the train.

Union Pacific, the host railroad, will evaluate the track for damages. The cause of the derailment is under investigation.

August 25, 2013 - Sunday - Huimanguillo, Mexico - Passenger train derailment
http://rt.com/news/mexico-train-migrants-derail-970/

At least 5 dead, over 30 injured, as train carrying 300 passengers derails.

A notorious freight train used by undocumented migrants to cross into the United States has derailed in Mexico, killing at least five, and injuring more than 30 people.

Luis Felipe Puente, the national civil protection coordinator, has said that 15 of those hurt in the crash, remain in grave condition.

Mexican Red Cross is reportedly at the scene, 10 km from the city of Veracruz, attempting to extract remaining passengers trapped under the wreckage.

The crash reportedly occurred at 3 am on Sunday, when the train exceeded its prescribed speed on a track made slippery by earlier rainfall.

The train, known as the Beast, has become famous across the world, for carrying thousands of illegal immigrants from Mexico and central America to the US each year. Travellers, who find places inside the carriages and even strap themselves onto the roof for the duration of the journey, also brave potential assaults and robberies and bee attacks en-route to their destination.

Officials say that up to 300 people, most of them likely migrants, were on-board the train at the time of the accident.

(Photo's of the derailed train and rescue of those still trapped under the wreckage.)

Also here:
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08/25/20181828-mexican-cargo-train-used-by-migrants-derails-killing-at-least-5?lite

A freight train derailed in a remote area of the Mexican state of Tabasco early Sunday, killing at least five people and injuring at least 35 others, according to officials.

Of the injured, 16 people were seriously hurt, according to a tweet from Luis Felipe Puente, national coordinator for Mexico’s Civil Protection branch of the Secretariat of the Interior.

Local media reports said the death toll could be as high as 50, but that figure was not immediately confirmed by Mexican authorities.

The freight train, known as “La Bestia” — “The Beast” — crisscrosses Mexico from south to north. Migrants, primarily Central Americans, seeking illegal passage to the United States often jump aboard the train under the cover of darkness.

The train company and emergency crews were dispatching two cranes to help search for an undetermined number of victims trapped among the eight cars of the derailed train, officials told The Associated Press.
Federal and state authorities were at the scene, according to Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto, who tweeted his sympathies Sunday afternoon.

“My condolences to the families of those who lost their lives in this accident,” the tweet said.

The derailment reportedly occurred in a rural area near Huimanguillo in the southeastern state of Tabasco around 3am local time (4am ET) Sunday, near the border with the Mexican state of Veracruz, which is difficult to reach by vehicle.

At least 250 migrants were apparently on the train traveling north from the Guatemala border, Tabasco state Civil Protection chief Cesar Burelo Burelo told the AP.

All of the dead are non-Mexican and from different Central American nations, officials said.

The locomotive and the first car apparently did not overturn in the accident, and were later used to transport victims to the nearest medical facility in Veracruz, according to the AP.

Hard rainfall had evidently loosened the earth under the tracks and shifted the rails, officials told the AP.
Burelo told the AP eight cars had derailed, but authorities have yet to determine a cause.

Soldiers, marines and civilian emergency workers were attempting to enter the area, which ambulances could not access, the Red Cross told the AP. Officials were working to set up air or water links to the scene of the fatal derailment.

:( Two more cases, and not too far apart one to the other. These accidents are increasingly regular. The ptb must be desperate to make it look like something else! ie, human error, same with the climate change fiasco and other lies to keep controlling the minds of people

Laurelayn said:
It would make sense that "rogue" electrical charges might be attracted to miles and miles of steel rails. would the nature of the electrical charges, possibly from the sun, cometary influences, charges from within the earth, or whatever produces the "sprites" maybe build up in the rails and spontaneously arc here and there causing trains to "jump" I know I have been getting shocked by almost everything I touch that is metal for the last 7 months or so, sometimes more than just a little.

After reading this, It occurred to me that solar activity might be a source of electrical charges. So, I started to take the rail incidents randomly and compare their dates to sun storm activity. I've run about 10, or 12 and all but a few were associated with dates of busy solar activity effecting Earth. I haven't checked exact timings, only checked by the date. But, I thought it interesting that most of the accidents had high solar storm activity those days. And by random, I mean I picked events in varying months.

So, those storms in relation to the tracks systems, or the computer systems, or the combination, may be worth looking deeper into.

Here's the NOAA solar storm archives. The text versions seemed handier to use, if anyone wants to go exploring: http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/archive.html

Ghostdoghaiku said:
Laurelayn said:
It would make sense that "rogue" electrical charges might be attracted to miles and miles of steel rails. would the nature of the electrical charges, possibly from the sun, cometary influences, charges from within the earth, or whatever produces the "sprites" maybe build up in the rails and spontaneously arc here and there causing trains to "jump" I know I have been getting shocked by almost everything I touch that is metal for the last 7 months or so, sometimes more than just a little.

After reading this, It occurred to me that solar activity might be a source of electrical charges. So, I started to take the rail incidents randomly and compare their dates to sun storm activity. I've run about 10, or 12 and all but a few were associated with dates of busy solar activity effecting Earth. I haven't checked exact timings, only checked by the date. But, I thought it interesting that most of the accidents had high solar storm activity those days. And by random, I mean I picked events in varying months.

So, those storms in relation to the tracks systems, or the computer systems, or the combination, may be worth looking deeper into.

Here's the NOAA solar storm archives. The text versions seemed handier to use, if anyone wants to go exploring: http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/archive.html

There might be indeed a correlation between solar activity and train derailments. However I'm not sure that an increased solar activity is the direct cause since we are currently experiencing a very weak solar activity.

Even though we are supposed to be going through the maximum of solar cycle 24, activity averages about 60 sunspots a month. That's very weak for a maximum. 15 years ago the maximum reached 200 sunspots/months. In addition to the limited number of sunspots their individual power is also weak. Most of them are not even flaring. At the end of the 90's class X flares and CMEs were frequent but since 2002 there's been almost none.

August 27, 2913 - Tuesday - Carlton Village, UK - Passenger train derailment
http://thelincolnite.co.uk/2013/08/lincoln-to-nottingham-trains-delayed-after-freight-train-derails/

Trains between Lincoln and Nottingham are being replaced with buses from Newark after a freight train derailed between Nottingham and Newark Castle.

Two of the DB Shenker freight train’s carriages, travelling from a Humber refinery to Tamworth, derailed shortly after passing the Stoke Lane level crossing in the Carlton village at around 4.35am on Tuesday.

The carriages derailed but remained in an upright position.

The incident caused considerable damage to a mile of track, which will take up to five days to repair once the carriages are removed.

Here is another one. "Moscow commuter train rams car as traffic lights fail" (VIDEO) _http://rt.com/news/train-rams-car-moscow-073/ Published time: August 27, 2013

Shocking video footage captured a commuter train ramming into a car at a regulated railway crossing in Moscow’s suburbs leaving the driver of the vehicle in a coma. Russian authorities initially blamed the driver for ignoring the broken traffic light.

The moment of the crash caught on CCTV in Scherbinka, the Russian capital’s suburbs, appeared on YouTube on Tuesday.

The footage shows a Chevrolet sedan driving onto the tracks and being broadsided by a commuter train rushing at full speed. The vehicle was passing in a dense flow of traffic, moving both directions, at a railroad crossing regulated by crossing barriers and lights.

The traffic was not stopped by the barrier, when the commuter was passing by.

Russian Railways blamed the driver of the vehicle for the accident which took place on Monday, saying in a statement published on their website that “the driver of the automobile roughly violated road traffic regulations by passing red light crossing signals working properly in front of the speeding commuter.”

However, later on Monday the original message was replaced by an ‘explanation’ for the media, which did not mention any violations by the driver and the status of the traffic light.

The video sent social networks’ users into frenzy with many blaming the authorities for the tragic crash. Twitter user @asevost7 writes that he lives in Scherbinka and “there are accidents at that crossing every day, the authorities stay ignorant.” YouTube user Georgy Sobokin writes that “the Russian Railways service is not to blame”, as the red light signals the train’s approach and the gate closes afterwards.

The commuter started to brake immediately after the collision. None of the passengers on the train were injured. Following the accident the rail traffic travelling towards Kursk was temporarily suspended, leading to congestion in the train stations.

In Russian, a word in "scherbinka" means a little indentation (gap, imperfection, defect), a pock mark (on a face) or a gap (between the teeth). When talking about a person with "scherbinka", it means that this person has some character deficiency. It's curious, osit, that while reading news about Putin and Russia lately, Kursk is popping up all the time, in an indirect sort of way :huh:

September 04, 2013 - Wednesday - Helena, Montana - Freight train derailment
http://www.kxlh.com/news/montana-rail-link-train-derails-near-superior/

SUPERIOR - A freight train derailed early Wednesday morning in Mineral County. Montana Rail Link spokeswoman Lynda Frost says it happened four miles east of Superior at around 4:30 a.m. on Wednesday. The train is 66 cars long; 24 of them derailed, with four of them ending up partially in the river. The train was carrying forest products and was headed from Spokane, WA, to Laurel, MT. The track was damaged in the accident which happened in a narrow canyon. There is no estimate yet on when the track will be re-opened.

September 02, 2013 - Monday - Durban, South Africa - Freight train derailment
(also a second incident) Groutville, South Africa, north of Durban - two Passenger train collide and derail
http://www.enca.com/south-africa/trains-derails-kzn

DURBAN - A goods train has derailed near Margate on KwaZulu-Natal’s south coast. Netcare 911 says it was travelling towards Durban, and derailed near Banana Beach. Some of the coaches landed in the lagoon under the bridge the train was travelling on. The cause of the derailment is not yet known.

(2) Emergency workers look for survivors after two trains collided into each other at Groutville, some 60 kilometres north of Durban. Thankfully, there were no fatalities or injuries after a goods train derailed in Margate, also close to Durban, on Monday.

August 31, 2013 - Saturday - Pingtung, southeast China's Taiwan - Passenger train derailment
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2013-08/31/c_132679529.htm

TAIPEI, Aug. 31 (Xinhua) -- A train derailed in Taiwan on Saturday morning after encountering a landslide, injuring 12 passengers, with three in serious condition, said the Taiwan railway authority.

The Kaohsiung-bound train had about 250 passengers on board when it came across a landslide at a tunnel entrance on Saturday at 7:33 a.m.Beijing Time, leading to separation of the fifth and sixth passenger cars and derailment of the sixth, said the Taiwan railway authority in a press conference.

August 30, 2013 - Friday - Hermon, Maine - Freight train derailment
http://www.wabi.tv/news/42930/breaking-news-train-derailment-in-hermon

At least two train cars left the tracks in Hermon Friday evening. One tanker car was on its side. A boxcar was leaning off the tracks. Officials don't believe there's any environmental threat and nobody was hurt.
It happened along Route 2 in a wooded area near S & S self storage.

Pan Am railcars jumped the tracks last Monday too. That happened less than a mile away and shut down raffic for hours.

August 30, 2013 - Friday - Metro Red Line, Washington - Passenger train derailment
http://www.wusa9.com/news/article/272949/158/Train-derails-on-Metro-Red-Line-service-suspended-between-Rhode-Island-Avenue-and-Brookland-stations

WASHINGTON (WUSA9) -- Metro officials say service has been restored at a section of the Red Line that was shut down following a train derailment overnight. Metro officials say the train was moved from a rail yard between the Rhode Island Avenue and Brookland stations around midnight for routine maintenance. As the train passed through the Rhode Island Station, two sets of wheels from cars four and five left the track, according to officials. Metro officials said the operator likely didn't notice. Then, the train kept going for several thousand feet. Along the way, the wheels were damaged and in some cases, signal cables.

There was no damage to the track itself. No passengers were onboard the train at the time of the derailment and there ws no injury to the operator.

August 17, 2013 - Saturday - Hikkaido, Japan - Passenger train derailment
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/world/2013-08/17/c_132638253.htm

OSAKA, Aug. 17 (Xinhua)-- A cargo train derailed in Japan's northernmost prefecture of Hokkaido early Saturday, causing no injuries, local press reported. The derailment occurred at around 1:05 a.m. local time in Yakumocyo, Hokkaido, after the cargo train collided with a tree that fell on track of Japan Railway's Hakotate Line due to heavy rain, public broadcaster NHK reported. The locomotive and three cars derailed during the accident. As a result, the Hakotate Line was paralyzed, which forced the suspension of some 18 express trains, the Japan Railway said, adding that quite a long time would be needed to resume the train operations.

September 08, 2013 - Sunday - Longview, East Texas - Freight train derailment
http://www.dailytribune.net/news/state/nobody-hurt-in--car-derailment-in-longview/article_b87c61aa-3d42-5340-be37-19a8ac7bb8c6.html

Nobody has been hurt when two tanker cars bound for Tennessee derailed and overturned in East Texas and one spilled a small amount of a tar-like substance. Zackary says one tanker carried diesel fuel and didn't leak. The other tanker hauled molten resin, similar to road tar, and less than 50 gallons leaked. Firefighters contained the spill. BNSF spokesman Joe Faust says the train was heading from Dayton, 30 miles northeast of Houston, to Memphis, Tenn. Faust says other railroad traffic won't be affected during the cleanup.

September 08, 2013 - Sunday - Bedford, Indiana - Freight train derailment
http://www.fox19.com/story/23371905/authorities-respond-to-train-derailment-in-s-ind

Authorities in southern Indiana are responding to a report of several train cars derailing near Bedford.
Lawrence County Sheriff's Department communications officer Chad Hayes says were at the scene shortly before noon Sunday. He says there weren't many details immediately available, but it appears to be a minor incident. Hayes says there are no reports of injuries or hazardous materials involved. He says it is believed only several cars were involved.

September 03, 2013 - Tuesday - South of Auckland, New Zealand - freight train derailment
http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/18760684/train-derailment-partially-blocks-sh1/

Investigators are on their way to the scene of a freight train derailment south of Auckland which has partially blocked State Highway 1. Four wagons of the northbound freight train derailed at Mercer in the early hours of Tuesday. A northern fire communications spokesman told NZ Newswire two shipping containers are partially blocking the southbound lane of SH1. The New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) says it's waiting for two cranes to arrive to clear the containers, but the Transport Accident Investigation Commission will need to complete its investigation before anything can be moved.

September 02, 2013 - Monday - Chiang Mai, Bangkok - Freight train derailment
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Northern-train-derailment-11th-in-nine-months-30213974.html

(This was the 11th northern train derailment in the past nine months. )
The 11-bogy train had just left Chiang Mai at 5pm when its engines two front wheels were jumped the tracks. Officials pulled the engine clear for repairs at the nearby Pang Puay Train StationState Railway of Thailand (SRT)’s northern centre head Somchai Kongchuensin said the derailment occurred on an uphill narrow curve that required the driver to run at 20 kilometres an hour before picking up speed. Acting Chiang Mai Train Station head Weerayuth Sawangdee said SRT had planned to close a section of the railway from Sila-ard Station to Khun Tan Station in Lampang for repairs for 15 days.

August 27, 2013 - Tuesday - Carlton, U.K. - Freight train derailment
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24013636

The derailment happened on 27 August, a day after Nottingham station reopened following five weeks of track and signal work. A spokeswoman for Network Rail said: "A third party had been carrying out works in the vicinity of the level crossing in recent weeks which was not related to re-signalling work at Nottingham." Rail investigators say a "severe track dip" caused a freight train to derail, closing the line for two weeks.

Today, on SoTT (Society's Child Section), this article was brought in from Xinhua, "Symbolic? Train service in Norway disrupted by railway communication failure":

Train service in Norway was disrupted by a failure in the railway communication system on Tuesday morning, the Norwegian railway authority said on its Twitter account.

Also known as NSB, the Norwegian State Railways said that a software error of the GSM-R system used for communication between trains and control centers, brought down the railway network in many parts of the country, including the speed train running in and out of the Oslo airport.

According to NSB, reports of the problem came in at about 9 a.m. local time (0700 GMT).

All affected trains have either stopped immediately or ran to the nearest stations for further notice, said NSB spokesman Arvid Baardstu.

Emergency steps have been taken to resume train communication but it is hard to know how long it would take to solve the problem.

"Right now we are working to provide buses and other forms of transportation to carry passengers to their destinations," an NSB manager, Erik Loedding, was quoted by local newspaper Verdens Gang as saying.

"We ask passengers to understand that this will take time as the problem is so comprehensive and it covers the whole country," said Loedding.

SoTT's commentary at the end of the article:
Comment: Read the following forum thread to learn more about other recent cases of railway disruptions.

September 12, 2013 - Thursday - Brandtsville Crossing, Pennsylvania - Freight train derailment
http://cumberlink.com/news/local/train-derails-after-crash-with-tractor-trailer-in-monroe-township/article_5ddfd2d4-1bd4-11e3-bd68-0019bb2963f4.html

Pennsylvania State Police released no new information Friday regarding what role speed played when a freight train collided with a tractor-trailer at the Brandtsville Crossing, a Norfolk-Southern railway, near the intersection of York and Creek roads around 1:40 p.m. Thursday. The truck driver, Robert Esposti, survived the crash unscathed, but his cargo — a 131-foot, 71-ton concrete beam — lay scattered across the scene, closing both lanes of York Road for more than 24 hours. In the moments before the crash, Esposti was repositioning the tractor-trailer as he navigated a sharp right turn onto York Road. “Then all of a sudden, the blinkers came on, the things (railroad crossing barriers) came down, and the train whistle blew,” said New Oxford resident.

September 11, 2013 - Wednesday - RT. 15 & Houses Corner Road, New York Freight train derailment
http://jefferson.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/train-derailment-flips-3-cars-carrying-liquid-carbon-dioxide

New York Susquehanna & Western Railway train derails near Route 15 and Houses Corner Road. Officials are trying to figure out what caused a freight train to derail late Wednesday night, flipping three fully loaded cars of liquid carbon dioxide less than a mile north of Route 15 and Houses Corner Road, Sparta Police reports. Sgt. John-Paul Beebe said New York Susquehanna & Western Railway officials told Sparta Police that at about 11:31 p.m., one of its trains had just left the Linde North America plant on Demarest Road. Suddenly, for reasons presently unknown, the three cars—measuring a total of 170 feet and having a combined weight of 395 tons—jumped the track and tumbled down a small embankment.

September 11, 2013 - Wednesday - Calgary, Canada Freight train derailment
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/09/11/calgary-train-derailment-se_n_3909809.html?utm_hp_ref=canada-alberta

Eight cars of a CP Rail train derailed Wednesday at a rail yard in southeast Calgary.

The derailment occurred at a track along 19 Ave. and 15 Street in the Aylth railroads.
Company spokesman Ed Greenberg says there were no injuries and there was no leakage from the cars, which are lying on their sides at the Alyth Yard. The cars were carrying a diluting agent used in oil pipelines.
Calgary Police Service Duty Inspector Leah Barber told CTV Calgary several tanker cars left the rail, before coming to a rest on their side. Barber also said there are reports a hissing noise could be heard coming from several cars. CP Rail official Ed Greenberg told CTV Calgary the derailment occurred while a northbound train was leaving the Alyth yard at 4:55 p.m. Greenberg says the north-bound train was moving at a slow speed when the cars left the tracks Wednesday afternoon. He says the company has launched an investigation to determine what happened.

(Of note: In both, the New York and Canadian freight train derailments of Sept. 11, tanker cars derailed shortly after leaving the yard to open track on the main route. Both accidents involved chemicals. )

Don't know if this one counts, but a double-decker bus collided with a train in Ottawa, Canada today, causing a derailment.

http://www.sott.net/article/266550-Another-message-from-the-Universe-Six-die-in-crash-between-bus-and-train-in-Ottawa

Back
Top Bottom