Travel Experience - Morocco

luke wilson

The Living Force
Hi Guys,

I thought I'd share my travel experiences in Morocco. I am not one that has done extended travel and so it is one of those things I was keen to do. In fact I am pretty keen to see more of the world as I believe getting away from where you are truly expands your mind. This is now one of my aims in life.

In Morocco, my friend and I travelled up and down the country. Our trip wasn't planned down to the details, we just had a rough itinerary of the towns we wanted to visit. I have to say I met people who truly blew my mind, both in the audacity of their dreams and in their warmth of heart. I'll describe some below

Two really cool mexicans

So on the first day of checking into our Riad in Marrakesh, we found that we would be sharing our room with a mexican guy and mexican girl. We got to know each other really quickly. The guy was travelling for a whole year, he was middle aged, really cool and had got to a stage in his life where he had worked hard enough to create enough space to travel. In his earlier years, he worked multiple jobs in the US, crazy hours, bought a bunch of houses which he fully paid off and now act as a source of income. In fact, he advised me to aim to do similarly. His family also started a business in america which now had multiple stores across the US.

He basically got to a stage where he can now relax. He has hired a property management company to manage his houses and he overseas his family business when in the states. In the meantime, he is travelling the world. He's pretty much been everywhere now, when I met him in Morocco, he had a bit of europe left, then he'd go to Asia and once done that would be the world seen.

The girl he met in Spain. She was the first solo female traveller I have come across. She left mexico to travel Europe and North Africa. It just so happened that she ran into a compatriot and they were now travelling together.

I truly enjoyed both their company and learnt quite a lot from the guy and girl, regarding life as mexicans in the States, regarding aims, regarding ambition, regarding being sensible etc.

American Nurse

In the second night, an american nurse in her 20's checked into the Riad. Again, we became close. She was supremely cool and also another solo female traveller. She was on a 2 month journey of Europe and North Africa. I learnt quite a lot from her, about letting go off expectations.

Basically she told me how she was living her life before based on expectations e.g. at this age this should happen, at that age that should happen etc. She told me how this led her to always be disappointed. At some point she just decided to shift her mental view and approach life differently. It was at this point that she started to travel and living life for her. She worked super hard again, to build up enough vacation days and build up enough money. She travelled through the states and hawaii solo then now she is doing the same on this side of the planet.

We spent a lot of time talking about life, american politics, guns (lol), the welfare system, Medicaid etc. Supremely interesting person.

American Law Student and Australian Lesbian Couple

We eventually ran into an american law student doing an internship in Morocco and 2 australian girls who appeared to be friends but were actually in a relationship as per what they told me in the end. Again, learnt a lot from all of them. From the american student from Harvard, I simply learnt not to judge people based on prejudice. At first, I didn't like him because he came across as quite typical and quite immersed in the brainwashed culture of the states but he turned out to be a really solid person who was funny and had many interesting things to say. I was quite impressed by his pursuit of his dreams and his love of learning.

I got really close with 1 of the Australian girls who we shared an intellectual connection. She was really interested in the culture and I noticed her always asking questions in the most open minded way possible. One lunch time we were sat at this cafe with a local guy who was showing us around a town called Fez and we started to talk about terrorism. The guy was quite angry at how the west portrays the whole thing, where if a muslim does something he is labelled a terrorist whereas the same standard isn't applied to other groups etc. He made his arguments quite eloquently and I was in agreement. To my surprise she also engaged in the discussion. We later spent time talking and playing board games against each other which was fun. She also tasked me with protecting her around the city... LOL. I have to say she was getting quite a lot of grief from the local male population some of who were quite overt in their expressions. However, all it took to stop anyone hustling her was to be next to her.

Colombian Guy and South Korean Girl

We also ran into a colombian guy who now lives in the states and a girl from S.Korea who was surprise surprise travelling solo.

The colombian guy was supremely interesting, not to dissimilar to the mexican guy I mentioned earlier. He ended up in america through a sports scholarship but now worked in finance. He quit the corporate world and started his own small consultancy company where he helped individuals (most of which are latino) and small businesses. He spoke to me about helping your own and the responsibility on our shoulders to do so, given that our 'own' i.e. minorities are struggling generally to survive. Unlike the mexican guy, he only took 2-3 months each year to travel whilst the rest were spent working. He has been through most of the world and is quite interesting character to be around, he really does push your buttons and makes you think.

The girl is supremely young, early 20s and has been travelling alone since 2013. She spoke to me about asian culture and how she wanted to let people know about south korea. It is generally a beautiful country but there were things she didn't like about it. For example, the education system generally is quite tough and leads children to commit suicide due to how severe it is. Work is very hard to find due to excessive competition. Gender roles exist. The country is quite conservative regarding roles. Alcoholism is rife etc.

Hands down, she is the bravest person I came across. She had no fear for such a small person and she had a humongously huge heart. Her next destination was Egypt, by herself. You'll be glad to hear she's safe. She's very grateful to God for keeping her safe in all her travels.

Swedish Girl

I briefly also ran into a swedish girl. She was young as well and was basically travelling indefinitely. She came across like she didn't know what she wanted. To me she came across as abit sad and alone which is why I went to talk to her. TBH, I don't remember much about our interactions but I was surprised to find a letter in my belongings from her where she was basically very grateful for our conversations. She said I basically told her what she needed to hear and she will now make her way back home and that she wished me all the best.

Staff at the Riads, the Desert, basically everywhere....

All the people who were working where we stayed were SUPER interesting. I now am friends with nearly all of them on FB. We had such a wonderful time. We joked around, there was sadness everytime we had to leave.

Basically, what did I learn?

People are amazing and there is such an amazing diversity of stories. I met a lot more other people who all had interesting stories but the above are the ones who really struck me.

The country - Morocco

What can I say? This country went above and beyond my expectations. Best place I have been thus far in my life. Mind blowing. One downside that I did see is how the men sometimes treat women. I saw it in numerous occasions to be able to say it was a pattern. It wasn't violent but some of the comments were quite in your face. The one thign to experience though are the ancient Medinas in the various towns and in specific the Markets... The market in Marrakesh is hands down a beautiful assault to the senses.

What did I love the most:- Travelling through the changing landscape, I enjoyed the sahara desert and the endless sea of dunes but most of all, I enjoyed really getting to interact with people who had so much to give and share. It was really a priceless experience. So much so that I wish to see even more of the world and experience more of people from many other places.

Cool Music that I heard, some of many

Ismael Lo - Afrika

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLeBi3s7Uw0

Cheb Khaled - Aisha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8be8zBJWDJw

Saad Lamjarred - LM3ALLEM - filmed in marrakesh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fwf45pIAtM

Ismael Lo is a really cool artist.

luke wilson said:
Basically, what did I learn?

People are amazing and there is such an amazing diversity of stories. I met a lot more other people who all had interesting stories but the above are the ones who really struck me.

That is really awesome Luke, and thank you for sharing your experience! I would love to one day travel to other countries as well. I appreciate how you did it too, by meeting and engaging locals and fellow travelers. I think that must have made the entire experience even more visceral for you.

Ismael Lo is a really cool artist.

You're right, he is. Beautiful and mysterious.

Some pictures :)

2nqadm1.jpg

oivyc5.jpg

jj72ap.jpg

2qxqe1j.jpg

15fpqit.jpg

295sfud.jpg

35mh2ya.jpg

rj4mf5.jpg

23u7ss4.jpg

rihhco.jpg

2yweddh.jpg

1771xu.jpg

if0prk.jpg

Sounds like a really great experience. I'm glad you made the effort to do that. It should help you get out of the doldrums you were in and it will be something you will always remember fondly.

Thanks for that synopsis of your travels luke wilson, it was a good read.. Really enjoyed your photos too. It is always interesting to meet fellow travellers though I am always on guard.

I travelled to Morocco 4 years ago with my daughter and it was like being on another planet! We only spent 3 nights in the Medina in Marrakesh and stayed in a Riad (arent they cool?) Shopping was hard going with negotiating prices and being constantly hassled but that is their way of life and it was interesting to immerse oneself in the culture.

Makes me want to go back for an extensive trip.

Are the beach scenes Essaouria?

Thank you for sharing this, I'm glad you had a good time, meet new people, gain new knowledge, realized how conversation can help a person who is at a turning point in his life (Swedish Girl).
Photos are beautiful!
Do you have some interesting recipes, have you tried a new food?

Tracy Anne said:
Are the beach scenes Essaouria?

Yes, they are.

Tracy Anne said:
I travelled to Morocco 4 years ago with my daughter and it was like being on another planet! We only spent 3 nights in the Medina in Marrakesh and stayed in a Riad (arent they cool?) Shopping was hard going with negotiating prices and being constantly hassled but that is their way of life and it was interesting to immerse oneself in the culture.

Riads are supremely cool.. we made sure to get ones with communal areas. Our hosts were so amazing and I struck a close friendship with one in Marrakesh, such that in travelling through the country, we could always use that Riad in marrakesh as a home base.

At first I was taken aback by the touts but once I learnt the rules, I was all game. I loved the hassle and bustle of it all. No fixed price anywhere, all about negotiating. Ah, to have seen an item with a price sticker on it... :rolleyes:

casper said:
Do you have some interesting recipes, have you tried a new food?

I skipped going really deep into the food part in terms of learning recipes but I ate local food! They mainly eat Tajines that are made with special pots.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tagine+pots&biw=1366&bih=643&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Js5uVemaFof-ygPXxoLACw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

Speaking of food, I was hard pressed to find any overweight Moroccan in Morocco. This was a theme. The kids were very fit and you could tell just by looking at them but also by just watching them go about their business.

The main source of carbs they had was mostly couscous and bread which was rampant in the country. Other than that, most of the food consisted of spices, meats, fish, vegetable, soup, fruits and a lot of tea. The food tended to be sweet which suggested it had sugar. One thing I did notice though is that many people seemed to have eye cataracts, well at least more than I've noticed in any other place. They also didn't drink alcohol and smoking was quite normal.

Another lovely thing I noticed was how many people could speak multiple languages... nearly all could speak both French and Arabic, a whole bunch also could speak spanish. The Berbers could speak at least 3 languages, most 4.

Wow luke, those photos are amazing !

and this:

Swedish Girl

I briefly also ran into a swedish girl. She was young as well and was basically travelling indefinitely. She came across like she didn't know what she wanted. To me she came across as abit sad and alone which is why I went to talk to her. TBH, I don't remember much about our interactions but I was surprised to find a letter in my belongings from her where she was basically very grateful for our conversations. She said I basically told her what she needed to hear and she will now make her way back home and that she wished me all the best.

Is very nice. :)

Btw, regarding Riads, I like the whole concept as most are designed around communal living...

Basically it's a house with a courtyard or garden in the middle, some have the garden and courtyard covered so that if it rains, it doesn't come into the middle... the ones we stayed in were just such and the designs were so beautiful. I enquired about them and I was informed that they are basically traditional buildings which were usually occupied by nuclear and extended families which usually lived under the same roof...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=moroccan+riad&hl=en-GB&biw=1366&bih=643&site=webhp&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=xOtuVfPXN-i27Aa9rYOoCg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Most of these buildings look pretty ordinary from the outside but once you open the doors to get in, you are simply blown away by the sheer majestic beauty.

The communal design of the interior in my opinion is simply something that is lacking in most modern building designs. Something about the way modern buildings are designed seem to push towards separation but the way these riads are designed tends to push towards community.

Also another custom I noticed was how members of the same sex, guys and girls could sometimes walk holding hands, arms on shoulders etc. At first I thought morocco had a lot of gay people but apparently not. Try as I could, when I saw 2 guys doing this, I couldn't help but feel uncomfortable but it was apparently perfectly normal.

They are also into their public baths and massages... You can get a hammam which I have to say is something I didn't go for as it sounded rather torturous. Basically you get a PROPER scrubbing. You come out and your skin is basically baby skin... Instead I went for a massage which was quite relaxing.

Thanks for sharing, Luke.

I've been a few places in the world. Aside from the different sights, sounds, smells, foods, etc. meeting people from all over the world is really fantastic and for me, is the one of the best parts of travelling. :)

Most of these buildings look pretty ordinary from the outside but once you open the doors to get in, you are simply blown away by the sheer majestic beauty.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tagine+pots&biw=1366&bih=643&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Js5uVemaFof-ygPXxoLACw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

Such beauty and attention to detail!

Glad you had such a grand time in your travels. Thanks for sharing your experience, Luke.

Wow Luke , it looks like an amazing journey, thanks for sharing your experiences and pictures. :)

Thanks for sharing your adventures in Morocco, Luke. Sounds like you had an amazing time. It's pretty cool how you met a diverse group of people and that you learned from them and vice versa. It's like when human beings are out of their habitual daily routines that leave very little time for exploration, play and discovery, there is more richness to experiences and your perspectives about people, life and yourself can change.

Kudos on the trip and thanks for the pics! Riads look awesome and I would definitely like to see one in person one day.

It looks and sounds like you had a great time Luke, there's nothing like travel to relax you and broaden the mind, and extend your circle of friends.

The pictures are wonderful. The Riads are beautiful, I really like Arabic architecture.

Thanks for sharing.

Lindenlea said:
It looks and sounds like you had a great time Luke, there's nothing like travel to relax you and broaden the mind, and extend your circle of friends.

The pictures are wonderful. The Riads are beautiful, I really like Arabic architecture.

Thanks for sharing.

So do I love arabic archtecture Lindenlea. One of my favourite architects is Zaha Hadid.

Luke wilson the photo of that Mosque is outstanding. What a beautiful building. I was fortunate enough to go inside a Mosque in London.....the atmosphere was unreal.

There is something about the arabic designs, with the geometry and colours, that is so beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom