Travel warnings for Bali

KTC

Jedi Council Member
FOTCM Member
We have a few trips booked to Bali, the first one mid May, then again in June and finally September. We snapped up some cheap fares and have visited often, finding it a beautiful and always friendly place to visit.
With the current travel warnings on Bali due to the supposed capture and killing of Bin Laden, I am questioning our safety.
We don't really frequent the tourist hotspots and I do not want to succumb to the fear imposed by the current events but am I just being pig headed if I insist on travelling despite the warnings? We were going to stay in Ubud in May, on an island in June and possibly head North to the diving in Lovina in September so no need to be in Kuta, Jakarta areas.
http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Indonesia
We have been over there when lesser warnings have been in place but this is a higher level now.
Any rational advice is appreciated.

With the current travel warnings on Bali due to the supposed capture and killing of Bin Laden, I am questioning our safety.

Hi fisheye,

You might also want to consider the volcanic, seismic and tsunami risks for Bali. There are several active volcanoes on this small island located on the Pacific ring of fire.

I've traveled to Bali eight times spending anywhere from two weeks to a month on each visit. In this day and age of increased volcanism, earthquakes and potential tsunamis one should definitely consider what their exit/survival strategy, if possible, should be. I've always had a very good guide who speaks excellent English and can help navigate any medical or administrative obstacles. Acquiring an international telephone once there is useful as well.

Bali is very hot and humid so make sure to carry extra bottles of water to stay hydrated. I frequently drank a local coconut water called Hydro that they sell in convenience stores. It replaces some lost electrolytes, tastes good, and is much healthier than the ubiquitous technicolor Fanta drinks. The water is also undrinkable and you probably shouldn't brush your teeth with it either. I took some charcoal tablets with me and this time didn't have any upset stomach problems. Along the vitamin replenishment line of thinking it may be good to carry Vitamin C or a good all around multivitamin. Bali's pharmacies or Apoteks are not so nearly well stocked for the many small apothecary items we take for granted so take with you a decent all around stock of what you might possibly need.

Ubud can also lose electrical power at times and on my recent visit it was dark for about two hours. Being a tad cautious I tend to keep extra food stocks and water around at all times. Another note of caution is that Bali sprays lots of pesticides because of fleas, mites, etc., another reason for Vitamin C and detoxing beforehand. In Bali I've been bitten by fleas, not fun, and there are natural versions of flea and mosquito repellents you can take with you. Even worse is the potential problem of mites or scabies type pests due to past overcrowding with mange infected dogs on the island. The first time this happened to me it was incredibly uncomfortable and was probably due to visiting and hanging out in an orphanage I'd been going to. My most recent trip to Bali, having just gotten back a few days ago, I again acquired a mite-type infestation from not considering that cheap massages on the beach or a masseuse's hands and wrists may be infected. I spent much of my time trying to find a remedy and literally nothing was available because I think the Balinese are more used to this kind of thing than we are. Nothing sucks the life and enjoyment out of a trip more than knowing you have something crawling around under your skin making you itch. I have noticed the Balinese often do scratch behind their ears and around their eyes and noses which can be a sign of mite infection. Oh, and check the hotel mattresses for bedbugs, because those came home on one trip with me and it was hell getting rid of them. This trip I looked and all the mattresses looked new and in good condition and I usually stay in Balinese bungalow type places. Again they spray lots to avoid these pest problems so know that most places have been doused in pesticides.

The area of Kuta, except for the beach and surfing during the day, is best to be avoided especially at night. Very dodgy and has a dark feeling which is difficult to shake. Watch out for massages in general as I think that many of the "trained" masseurs use a type of kundalini massage energy which gives you this pleasant ecstatic like feeling. Again, not something I was expecting nor asked or wanted and it was not stated on the description and then about forty minutes into it is was like whoa what's this. Well, that's probably enough for now. If you have any questions just post and I'll do my best to answer them. Hope I haven't completely horrified you but most likely you wont' encounter as many problems as I have as I have had lots of contact with locals, small villages and some of the poorer areas. Hope this helps.

I should add to bring a mosquito net for your bed if you travel on a low budget. Low budget hotel don't always have these and Bali or should I say Indonesia as mosquito that carry malaria and dingy, I know by experience. I got dingy the second time a traveled there. So be prepare and every thing will be o.k.. It is a marvelous Island and the Balinese are very friendly. Have a nice trip.

Thanks guys,
I have been to Indo many times so I know all the health risks/issues and understand the culture very well. I have no concerns with any of that, just questioning the travel warnings. I am only a 2 hour flight away so our weather is the same and we have similar mosquito borne illnesses. And thanks Belibaste, I hadn't questioned their situation with the ring of fire. Hmm, much to consider.

What is the connection between Bali and the killing of Bin Laden? I could understand a warning for the Middle East, Pakistan and India but Indonesia seems odd. Are there terrorist groups in the area or is security not as great as other parts of the world?

Athough the Balinese are generally Hindu, Indonesia is an Islamic Nation. There have been a couple of well publicised attacks on tourists in the past 15 years so its a warning hotspot. Anyways, we went and were safe and loved the place and its people as usual :P

Hi Fisheye,
I'm thinking about going to Bali and was wondering how your last trip went? Didn't you mention a September trip?

thanks.

Hi LadyRodgers,
Yes, we did go to Bali for all 3 trips last year. As usual we had a wonderful time, met great people both local and foreign and made it home safely. We are now booked in again for March this year.
My concern of course is the seismic activity in Indonesia. But you know what, who knows what will happen and when. I live in a part of Australia that sees very extreme weather patterns and we are very aware of cyclonic activity here.
I want to keep travelling while we still can because it is a part of my learning and experiencing in this life.
Have a great trip if you go, and stay safe.. where ever you are ;)

I lived in banda aceh, sumatra, for almost a year in 2007. Travelled to Bali and jakarta several times and the only advice i had was to behave properly, not as a foolish western tourist, dress properly, remenber indonesia is muslim and bali is hindu and budist mainly, and be careful jist not to be scammed. Besides that, avoid being where all tourist are, just because kuta is the same as ibiza.
Ubud is great and has a large artist community, and if you move north of sumatra for diving join there the expat community for advice, there are wonderful spots and in general indonesians are wonderful people.
Leave out the fear at home, be prudent and i am sure

thanks for your replies.
unfortunately i decided not to go because of the health alerts and rabies epidemic....

I'm going to wait it out a bit...

Yea!!!! Have fun for me. Check out Ubud. A friend who is now my Brother, http://bali-tour-leroy.com can give you better advise. Bali and her people are beautiful. Read up on the customs if you haven't already and greetings in the local language goes a long way. If you do bump into Leroy, please tell him his Sisters in the Virgin Islands miss him. Enjoy!!!

I was watching the news here tonight, and caught this report about a volcano erupting in Indonesia:

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-incidents/volcano-eruption-cancels-bali-phuket-flights-and-closes-indonesian-airports-20140214-32qd8.html#ixzz2tHvBWOxV said:
Volcano eruption cancels Bali, Phuket flights and closes Indonesian airports
A Jetstar flight from Perth to Jakarta on Friday morning was filled with smoke after the plane flew into Indonesia’s volcanic ash cloud, a passenger said. Virgin Australia has cancelled all flights to Bali, Phuket, Christmas Island and Cocos Island after an eruption in Indonesia closed three international airports and darkened skies across a large swath of the country's most densely populated island, Java.

Two Qantas flights, QF41 Sydney to Jakarta and QF42 Jakarta to Sydney, have been delayed until Saturday, while flight paths from Australia to Singapore have been altered, a Qantas spokeswoman said.

A spokesman for Jetstar said it had not yet cancelled any flights but the airline was monitoring the situation.
Richard Craig, from Perth, was on a flight to Jakarta at about 5am on Friday when he said the plane suddenly flew into the ash cloud about 30 minutes before landing. “It was just starting to get light then it suddenly went quite dark and what I thought was smoke appeared in the cabin out the front, started coming out of the air vent and alarm went off and beeped a few times,” he said. “There was an unusual smell. It wasn’t like smoke, a slightly sweet smell. More like a very fine smoke. “The pilot put on the seat belt sign and the staff were trying to hurry to get people into any seat even if it wasn’t theirs."

Mr Craig said the smoke cleared within a few minutes and the pilot made announcements saying it was a volcanic ash cloud and that “no one was aware of it in the area. The air traffic control wasn’t aware of it and they weren’t aware of it.”

Jerstar said that when flight JQ 114 left Perth, there had been no volcanic activity reported in the area but about 30 minutes out of Jakarta, the flight crew operating JQ 114 became aware of volcanic activity.
"[The crew] followed standard operating procedures to ensure the aircraft landed safely," a spokesman said.
Mount Kelud erupted on Thursday night, hurling red hot ash and rocks over a huge distance.
The explosions could be heard 130 kilometres away in Surabaya, the country's second-largest city, and even further afield in Yogyakarta.

Melbourne student Anna Strempel, who is studying Indonesian in Yogyakarta, said she had little food left and all the shops were shut because of the ash.“It’s pretty eerie here actually. It’s pretty quiet, looks as though there’s been snowfall.“It doesn't really smell but you can feel the grit in your eyes and you can feel it in your throat.”

Ash covered the ground in both cities and was still falling, witnesses and accounts on social media reported. TV footage from towns closer to the peak showed farm animals covered in ash. Ms Strempel said she could still hear rumbling on Friday afternoon .“We walked out to get some food but everything is closed. I only have one cucumber left to get me through.” She said locals remarked the ash fall was much worse then the 2010 eruption of Mount Merapi, which is only 25 kilometres away from Yogyakarta and forced hundreds of people to flee the city.

Virgin said its meteorologists were monitoring the situation, in consultation with the Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre in Darwin, and the airline would recommence normal operations as soon as the volcanic ash cloud safely allowed it.

At least 10 Virgin Australia flights have been cancelled, including flights from Denpasar to Sydney, Brisbane and Perth. Four inbound flights from Bali to Australia have been grounded.
An additional two flights between Perth and Phuket were also cancelled. “For safety reasons, we can’t fly within 100 nautical miles of an ash cloud so that’s why we’ve had to cancel them,” a Virgin Australia spokeswoman said. "Guests will be reaccommodated to the next available flight accordingly."

About 200,000 people living in 36 villages within 10 kilometres of Mount Kelud's crater were ordered to evacuate on Thursday night after the volcano erupted. TV pictures on Friday showed ash and rocks raining down on nearby villages as terrified locals fled in cars and on motorbikes towards evacuation centres. Transport ministry spokesman Bambang Ervan said Yogyakarta, Solo and Surabaya airports were closed due to reduced visibility and the dangers posed to aircraft engines by ash.The mountain had been rumbling for several weeks. The 1731-metre Kelud is among about 130 active volcanoes in Indonesia.

Back
Top Bottom