Ultra Simple Diet

gwb1995

Jedi
HI All,

I recently ordered the Ultra Simple Diet and am planning on going forward with it next week, as it recommends starting seven days after committing to doing the prep work prior to starting the diet. I have some questions about this diet, based on what I have read and am asking for advice.

Overall, I think the plan is pretty solid and will be a real benefit for me. I do have some 'RED FLAGS' that have popped up from my reading thought. The basic recipes all look fine to me so far, but some of the alternate ones are not so good. I noticed that many of the alternate ones suggested using soy milk and tofu, and as I recall from previous threads, this is not a good thing.

I also have a question about the use of Flax and Borage Oil, combined for their beneficial effects. I could not find anything negative in my research, but the cost is very high. It is very hard to find in the oil form suggested for use. Any thoughts about this, is it worth the extra cost?

This plan also calls for one to take the Ultra Bath every evening, and it consists on using Epsom Salts. I am wondering if substituting a Mag bath would be more beneficial?

If anyone had any knowledge about this plan, I would appreciate any assistance on this and the possible benefits/negatives you have to share. My main goal with this plan is to reduce my inflammation levels, further detox my body, and get my body more in control.

Losing a few pounds would not hurt me either, OSIT. :lol:

gwb

gwb said:
HI All,

I recently ordered the Ultra Simple Diet and am planning on going forward with it next week, as it recommends starting seven days after committing to doing the prep work prior to starting the diet. I have some questions about this diet, based on what I have read and am asking for advice.

Overall, I think the plan is pretty solid and will be a real benefit for me. I do have some 'RED FLAGS' that have popped up from my reading thought. The basic recipes all look fine to me so far, but some of the alternate ones are not so good. I noticed that many of the alternate ones suggested using soy milk and tofu, and as I recall from previous threads, this is not a good thing.

We use the ultra-simple diet in a modified form: no soy at all.

gwb said:
I also have a question about the use of Flax and Borage Oil, combined for their beneficial effects. I could not find anything negative in my research, but the cost is very high. It is very hard to find in the oil form suggested for use. Any thoughts about this, is it worth the extra cost?

We don't bother with the borage oil, and we get the flax oil from a place that supplies it for cattle (horses in particular). It's a lot cheaper and the only difference seems to be that it is not so refined to remove the strong taste. That's okay. We put it in our shakes and the berries and other things mask it.

gwb said:
This plan also calls for one to take the Ultra Bath every evening, and it consists on using Epsom Salts. I am wondering if substituting a Mag bath would be more beneficial?

We also do not take the epsom salts. We generally take a minimum of 700 mg of magnesium (citrate, orotate combined with malate) daily. If you are also taking 5 or more grams of Vitamin C in your shake, you should not have any problems. If your stool is too loose, back off one gram of vit C and/or 1 tablet of magnesium.

gwb said:
If anyone had any knowledge about this plan, I would appreciate any assistance on this and the possible benefits/negatives you have to share. My main goal with this plan is to reduce my inflammation levels, further detox my body, and get my body more in control.

Losing a few pounds would not hurt me either, OSIT. :lol:

gwb

Like I said, this plan is very useful but we have modified it significantly. I'll see if I can find the files we printed out and stuck on our cupboard doors and reproduce them here.

Here is OUR version of the Ultra-Simple Meal Plan. We have this text formatted in colorful fonts and printed out and taped to the kitchen cupboards:

FOODS YOU WILL ENJOY!

• Filtered water (6-8 glasses a day)
• Fish: sardines, herring, wild salmon, black cod or sable fish, sole, and cod. No tuna!!!
• Lean white meat chicken breasts.
• Fresh or frozen non-citrus fruits, ideally berries only
• Fresh vegetables – (no cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts for a period - later, you introduce the cruciferous veggies)
• Fresh vegetable broth (3-4 cups a day) – make this once or twice a week. In a large pot full of filtered water, boil several carrots, 6 or so cloves of garlic, two or three onions, spinach, pumpkin or hard squash, whole head of celery. Boil gently covered for a couple of hours. Let cool and strain into a large glass jar. Drink cold or warm. Salt to taste. Later, when cruciferous veggies are included, they can be added to the broth.
• Legumes (lentils, navy beans, adzuki beans, mung beans, pinto beans…)
• Brown rice
• Ground flaxseeds
• Lemons.

If it is not listed above, don't even ask about it, it's not on the diet. No other meat than the chicken breasts (organic) and/or the fish. Fish can be fresh. You can have canned sardines, salmon or mackerel. You can eat it with a bit of olive oil and lemon juice on it.

No other condiments than lemon juice and olive oil.

THE ULTRASIMPLE MEAL PLAN

Breakfast Alternatives
• Lemon juice (from ½ lemon)
and hot (or warm) water
• Herbal or yogi tea
• Ultrashake Hot rice cereal with flaxseeds and/or fruits (apple or banana,
peaches or berries). No sweetener of any kind. No milk.

Or: Leftovers from the night before
Or: Chopped up apple and banana with a tablespoon of
Flaxseed.

Morning Snack
• 1 cup ultrabroth
• Ultrashake (if hungry) Raw veggies and hummus (you must either make your own
hummus or make sure it is truly organic).
Steamed veggies
Chickpeas with olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper.
Beans with ½ onion, olive oil and fresh rosemary.

Lunch
• 2 cups or more of steamed (or lightly
sautéed veggies (avoid raw for awhile)
• ½ cup of brown rice
• ½ cup legumes
• ½ cup fruit or berries for dessert
(either here or at dinner, not both,
and only 1-2 times during the program)
• Ultrashake (optional) The dinner menu

Afternoon snack
• 1 cup Ultrabroth
• Ultrashake (if hungry)

Dinner
• 4-6 ounces of fish or chicken breasts
cooked with olive or grapeseed oil and
lemon juice. (Spices: rosemary, cilantro, ginger,
garlic, turmeric, curry and sea salt)
• 2 cups or more of steamed (or lightly sautéed veggies
• ½ cup of brown rice
• 1 cup Ultrabroth The lunch menu

Veggies you can eat: carrots, celery, beets, cucumbers (these you can have raw), bok choy, spinach, squash, pumpkin, sweet potato, chard, spinach. Maybe a few others but keep the list short and simple.

THE ULTRASHAKE RECIPE

• 2 scoops of rice protein powder
• 1 tbsp. of organic flax or borage oil (as noted, we use equine flax oil)
• 2 tbsp. of ground flaxseeds
• Ice (made of filtered water) if desired
• 6-8 oz. of filtered water to desired consistency
• ½ cup of frozen or fresh berries or peaches, pears
• Banana to sweeten - you can also use a scoop of D-Ribose to sweeten

Extra goodies: spirulina, ascorbic acid, specific nutritional supplements according to your needs as determined in the Ultra-Mind quiz.

Note: use the flax seeds in up to two shakes a day, no more.

What kind of rice protein powder do you use? I have one that is supposedly chocolate, but it tastes terrible. The texture is like sandpaper, and I can barely choke it down.

Here: _http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/ricepro.html Not necessarily that source, but it is the product. It has amino acids and its a good way to start the day.

Psyche said:
Here: _http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/ricepro.html Not necessarily that source, but it is the product. It has amino acids and its a good way to start the day.

Ah! Thank you. Now Foods has some great stuff. I'll start shopping around today. :D

gwb said:

I take Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate) baths before doing the breathing program, so technically it is a magnesium bath. The difference is it also raises your sulfate levels also.
However magnesium chloride baths (or spraying all over followed by a shower 30 minutes later - a lot more economical osit) are better for getting your magnesium levels up in comparison as far as I understand it.

_http://www.magnesiumforlife.com/chloride_sulfate.shtml
According to Daniel Reid, author of The Tao of Detox, magnesium sulfate, commonly known as Epsom salts, is rapidly excreted through the kidneys and therefore difficult to assimilate. This would explain in part why the effects from Epsom salt baths do not last long and why you need more magnesium sulfate in a bath than magnesium chloride to get similar results. Magnesium chloride is easily assimilated and metabolized in the human body. However, Epsom salts are used specifically by parents of children with autism because of the sulfate, which they are usually deficient in , sulfate is also crucial to the body and is wasted in the urine of autistic children.

My wife and I are working hard to be more healthy and I just started serious diet research now that I have most of the supplements worked out (OSIT). I'm blood type A+, but was considering doing the Atkins diet because I did it several years ago and it was very easy for me to lose weight that way but not sure about the full health aspects.

Our goal is to get healthy (detox and start eating right) and also lose significant weight. BTW, we just started the FIR sauna blanket today and wow was that a deep soothing kind of heat!

BTW, I have the Ultra simple diet book, Ultramind Solution, Atkins, blood type diet book, and all the health threads queued up here to read but I thought this might give us a jumpstart while I study the literature. With that in mind, I have a few questions to anyone familiar with the approach in this thread:

Is this a diet that one can say on for long periods, or is it more of an induction phase? There is so much diet info between Atkins, Ultra..., Blood Type, detox stuff, etc. so that is why I'm curious about how long one can eat this way.

Also, is this targeted for a specific blood type, or will it work with type A+?

Is the diet above the "second part" of the Ultra Simple Diet. IOW, I scanned the book and the first week there seems to be a lot of detox focused eating. Is the idea to do the first week as in the book and then procede with the modified diet above? :huh:

Thanks. :)

Laura,

Thank you so much for posting your version of this diet. I have printed it out and modified my shopping list accordingly. I am still confused about the veggies section. Which ones can you have raw? I am thinking that I can have carrots, celery, beets, cucumbers. I also understand that I need to avoid eating them raw at first.

One further question, are Chickpeas the same thing as Blackeyed peas?

Thank you for all your help,

gwb

Gimpy said:
What kind of rice protein powder do you use? I have one that is supposedly chocolate, but it tastes terrible. The texture is like sandpaper, and I can barely choke it down.

I see that Psyche had already provided a site for you. I am getting mine from VRP. I don't have any info that would suggest that either source is better. The one thing I think about this product is that it is not the most tasty of things to eat, but as Laura mentioned, the berries, etc, make up for the lack of taste and texture.

fwiw,

gwb

RedFox said:
gwb said:

I take Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate) baths before doing the breathing program, so technically it is a magnesium bath. The difference is it also raises your sulfate levels also.
However magnesium chloride baths (or spraying all over followed by a shower 30 minutes later - a lot more economical osit) are better for getting your magnesium levels up in comparison as far as I understand it.

_http://www.magnesiumforlife.com/chloride_sulfate.shtml
According to Daniel Reid, author of The Tao of Detox, magnesium sulfate, commonly known as Epsom salts, is rapidly excreted through the kidneys and therefore difficult to assimilate. This would explain in part why the effects from Epsom salt baths do not last long and why you need more magnesium sulfate in a bath than magnesium chloride to get similar results. Magnesium chloride is easily assimilated and metabolized in the human body. However, Epsom salts are used specifically by parents of children with autism because of the sulfate, which they are usually deficient in , sulfate is also crucial to the body and is wasted in the urine of autistic children.

Thanks for the info Redfox. I do agree with what you stated, I think for now that I will keep things as cost effective as possible.

Thanks again for your thoughts,

gwb

gwb said:
One further question, are Chickpeas the same thing as Blackeyed peas?

No, they are not the same. Chickpeas can be used for making hummus and black eyed peas are usually cooked first before eating, as far as I know.

Pinkerton

Thank you for your help. I was confused about this and now I know that I will have to do more research. I am pretty sure I can get them from my local Organic Grocer. They are great about helping me out when I don't know about such things.

gaman said:
Is this a diet that one can say on for long periods, or is it more of an induction phase? There is so much diet info between Atkins, Ultra..., Blood Type, detox stuff, etc. so that is why I'm curious about how long one can eat this way.

For example, my diet looks similar to the Ultra Simple diet, and I have more portions of everything (I don't want to loose weight) and I added foods that I know I can tolerate after testing them. Any now and then I have healthy desserts, like the ones posted in the recipe section.

Also, is this targeted for a specific blood type, or will it work with type A+?

Some people, like myself, are allergic to stuff listed in the Ultra Simple diet. It is not the case for people in general, but you'll have to find out. With time you become an expert in noticing if a particular food is bad for you, specially after you had detoxed. If you are an A+, red meats might not be friendly with your system.

Is the diet above the "second part" of the Ultra Simple Diet. IOW, I scanned the book and the first week there seems to be a lot of detox focused eating. Is the idea to do the first week as in the book and then procede with the modified diet above? :huh:

I think that if you had never detoxed before, then you can just follow the book. For some people it is very painful to remove all caffeine all of a sudden (terrible headaches, etc). So for some, its better to go slowly but surely.

My 2 cents.

gaman said:

Read the blood type diet before even considering the atkins diet.....for your blood type (A) as far as I remember its recommended to eat more vegetables and fish than meat (i.e. nearly the opposite of the atkins diet).
One thing of note (as mentioned earlier in the thread) the blood type diet recommends things like soya, which if you read the other threads in this section are best avoided.

As for staying on a diet/how long someone can eat 'that way', I think it may be worth looking at the word diet in this context.
Perhaps considering the wording something along the lines of 'noninflammatory genetically matched personalised dietry modification' would be a better substitute for the word 'diet'.....
As far as I understand it, this is a modification with a purpose...the purpose is to not eat things that are bad for us (cause inflammation among other things), and eat what is good for us/fits our genetic (blood type) profile....the aim being the best health possible (regardless of weight).
The idea being that, although there may be periods where your 'diet' goes through adjustments you will (if your aim is to stay in the best health possible) be staying on this 'diet' for the rest of your life......should you decide this is your aim :)
Hope that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom