Unusual animal and insect mating behaviors / equipment

JEEP

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
treesparrow said:
Headline -

Jellyfish pay the penalty in ocean version of football

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2009/10/17/jellyfish-pay-the-penalty-in-ocean-version-of-football-91466-24949850/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I seem to remember seeing a wildlife film, some time ago, of killer whales doing the same thing but in that instance they were using live seals or sealions (poor things).

Seeing this post in The Real World / Environmental Issues thread today, made me think of a somewhat recent viewing either online or TV of dolphin mating behavior. Generally, dolphins are regarding highly by human beings in that they are very intelligent and friendly towards humans with some recorded instances of them saving human lives. Consequently, it comes as a bit of a shock that when it come to mating, male dolphins are highly aggressive and don't so much mate with females as actually rape them!

I did an online search for this topic and found this site which has numerous citings of unusual animal and insect mating behaviors / equipment, some of which are hilarious! Others shocking and extremely painful to think about! Anybody who thinks 2D inhabitants have it easy, think again!

30 Strangest Animal Mating Habits.
http://www.neatorama.com/2007/04/30/30-strangest-animal-mating-habits/

Mostly written material but there are 3 videos, the best being, Manakin: Moonwalking to Impress the Ladies. This little bird does a rendition of Michael Jackson's moonwalk as a part of its mating ritual to attract a female. It appears to glide backward on the branch it's perched on as well as a side to side slide without obviously moving its legs. MJ music is provided in accompaniment - fun! :P

Overall, site is rated R to X, at least from an animal perspective! ;D

Back
Top Bottom