Very sad: Chester the dog declining health

Al Today

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Chester the Dog has been with me over, gawd, I dunno 15-18 years. He was a pup when he got buckshotted in the chest. He then walked into the road and then got hit by a car. A veterinary picked him up and helped him live. He lived in a large closet at the vet and nobody wanted to adopt him. We did and he is now my family. Umpteen years later he now has hip displasia, can't get off the wood floors. No traction for his feet. Now I see his front "arms" also pop outta socket when he tries to stand on the wood floor, let alone his sliding ass. He is getting Olllddd. No graybeard, he's all white face on a black dog. Glows in the moonshine. But I can "see" him smiling, happy. My friend, we are connected on a level I do not understand. He is losing control over his bladder and excrement's, when stands then slip/slides on the floor at night. Not a pretty sight. I rescue him off the floor a few times a week now, and gotta bleach the floor. Who am I to say what/who lives or dies? I do not want this choice. But the quality of his life, and my life is going down. I'm so sad for being selfish... A choice is coming for me and I ain't gonna like it. I love him.

Re: Very sad

AL Today said:
Who am I to say what/who lives or dies? I do not want this choice. But the quality of his life, and my life is going down. I'm so sad for being selfish... A choice is coming for me and I ain't gonna like it. I love him.

I'm really sorry about your dog. But if he's suffering and losing his basic functions and there's nothing you can do about it, then maybe it's time to "release" him, for his own sake? This is sad and a really hard choice to make, but you would do it for him so he can be at peace, resting assured that he's had a happy life with you. :hug2:

AL Today said:
He is losing control over his bladder and excrement's, when stands then slip/slides on the floor at night. Not a pretty sight. I rescue him off the floor a few times a week now, and gotta bleach the floor. Who am I to say what/who lives or dies? I do not want this choice. But the quality of his life, and my life is going down. I'm so sad for being selfish... A choice is coming for me and I ain't gonna like it. I love him.

Dear Al, I, and undoubtedly many others on this forum can totally understand your anguish. :hug2: :( It isn't easy to see a dear friend fade away, and the decision to end his suffering can be incredibly hard. So just please remember, that it isn't selfish, but it will be the last true act of kindness toward your friend.

Dogs are wonderful creatures, also because of their great ability to be totally devoted to their human guardians. So devoted and self-sacrificing they are, they may not leave because they can see how sad it will make us feel. And so it is our responsibility to recognize their pain and struggle, and then let them go and help them become free of suffering.

I'm so sorry to hear this, AL Today. :hug2:

As Keit said it is our responsibility to recognize their pain and struggle, and then let them go and help them become free of suffering.

There have been more than a few threads on allowing the pets we love to not suffer needlessly. Sounds like you've done everything you could to make his life as good as possible. As his care-taker, you do have the choice of whether or not your sweet doggie continues to live his life in pain or end his suffering with peace and dignity. Making the hard choice to help them move on to the next life is heart-breaking. At some level, they will thank you for it, knowing it was done out of love.

DCM Bless you and Chester.

Very sorry to hear about that Al. We had to do the same with my dog of 19 years. You should be proud of giving him a good life after those rough beginnings, and I'm sure he'll appreciate it when you send him off. Sooner rather than later would be better, given what you've described. :hug2:

It's a very sad and difficult choice to be faced with. As Adaryn said, there's Chester's suffering to consider, but I think you see that yourself already. It helps sometimes when what is being asked of us is so difficult to reconcile, to think in terms of why we are making a choice. It doesn't necessarily make such choices any easier to take, but the emotions aren't loaded in quite the same way when you can guide yourself back through the reasons why. It sounds as if you've given him a great life and have done all you possibly could to help him. It's hard but letting him go does seem the thing to do. :hug2:

I think the previous posts have said it all. It is a choice that many of us who love animals have had to make and it is never easy. I felt Your love for your friend in your post and that love will never leave you.

Love to you both and you will know when it is time AL :hug2:

NormaRegula said:

As Keit said it is our responsibility to recognize their pain and struggle, and then let them go and help them become free of suffering.

There have been more than a few threads on allowing the pets we love to not suffer needlessly. Sounds like you've done everything you could to make his life as good as possible. As his care-taker, you do have the choice of whether or not your sweet doggie continues to live his life in pain or end his suffering with peace and dignity. Making the hard choice to help them move on to the next life is heart-breaking. At some level, they will thank you for it, knowing it was done out of love.

DCM Bless you and Chester.

I totally agree with the above. I'm sorry that you and Chester are having to face this. I've had to make the choice more than once, but it's being caring and loving that shows the way. Helping him to move on and end his suffering is the final act of love.

Take care Al and a :hug: to both of you.

AL Today said:
Chester the Dog has been with me over, gawd, I dunno 15-18 years. He was a pup when he got buckshotted in the chest. He then walked into the road and then got hit by a car. A veterinary picked him up and helped him live. He lived in a large closet at the vet and nobody wanted to adopt him. We did and he is now my family. Umpteen years later he now has hip displasia, can't get off the wood floors. No traction for his feet. Now I see his front "arms" also pop outta socket when he tries to stand on the wood floor, let alone his sliding ass. He is getting Olllddd. No graybeard, he's all white face on a black dog. Glows in the moonshine. But I can "see" him smiling, happy. My friend, we are connected on a level I do not understand. He is losing control over his bladder and excrement's, when stands then slip/slides on the floor at night. Not a pretty sight. I rescue him off the floor a few times a week now, and gotta bleach the floor. Who am I to say what/who lives or dies? I do not want this choice. But the quality of his life, and my life is going down. I'm so sad for being selfish... A choice is coming for me and I ain't gonna like it. I love him.

Al

I want to say thank you for sharing your story with us, about you and Chester, how he is now after all these years together, and this struggle that must be going on inside you.

:hug2:

Adaryn said:
AL Today said:
Who am I to say what/who lives or dies? I do not want this choice. But the quality of his life, and my life is going down. I'm so sad for being selfish... A choice is coming for me and I ain't gonna like it. I love him.

I'm really sorry about your dog. But if he's suffering and losing his basic functions and there's nothing you can do about it, then maybe it's time to "release" him, for his own sake? This is sad and a really hard choice to make, but you would do it for him so he can be at peace, resting assured that he's had a happy life with you. :hug2:

I totally agree with Adaryn.

The best thing that you can do for your sweetie now is to relieve him from his pain and tell him thanks for everything and kiss him in saying Good-Bye.

I had to do it a couple of months ago and it was one of the hardest thing to do for me. I was not even able to speak to the vet when I was there. My daughter, who was with me, did the talking. I still miss her so much but I'm in peace with my decision and knowing that she can continue her journey.

I just hope to see her one of these days.

I don't have any advice that hasn't already been said, but I've lost fury friends and seen them suffer toward the end, so I know how you feel.

Our first family dog died while my brother and I were actually away, so we didn't even get to say goodbye. She was 14 and in my life since I was 1 up until I was 15.

My family's first cat, who we got after that dog, passed away in 2012, most likely from cancer, at only 10. I was there for her last moments. We knew she was close because she stopped walking around, stopped eating, and would hardly drink any water, and she kept hiding under the bed and would not come out. Then one morning I was awoken by my mother because the cat had come out and was meowing and meowing, struggling to walk around in the next room. I went in and pet her and kissed her, and then a few moments later she went under a computer desk and died. I realized she had come out from under the bed to say goodbye to us, or at least that's what I think happened - she knew it was her last chance to see us. Afterward, I had to pick her up off the floor and wrap her in a towel, and my dad buried her in the backyard (near our first dog - which isn't legal, by the way) while I went to my first day of classes for another semester in college.

A few years before that, my grandmother had a toy poodle for years who she loved very much, and when her health was failing she had to make the decision to release her. She couldn't go through it alone and asked me to go with her, so I held her hand as they gave the dog the injection, seeing her life fade and my grandmother crying and saying goodbye. It was very emotional.

It's not an easy choice at all. :( You'll get through it, though. Wishing you the best.

Hi..I understand how difficult this decision can be to have to make. Dealing with the sadness after putting down my family's cat the week before. Sorry to hear about your dog Chester, take care.

My heart is with you Man. We realize how deeply we love them when parting time comes.

Love to Chester and You.

Mac

NormaRegula said:

I agree with this too, Al. He's had a great life with you and as hard as it is, the most loving thing you can do is help Chester move on to the next adventure. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom