Watch the skies and land and oceans

Wow! what a coincidence! ... it happens. It reminded me of the earthquake that was felt in Mexico City on September 19 of 2017 which coincided with the date of the earthquake that happened in 1985.

Hurricane Helene (1958)-Wikipedia
Hurricane Helene was the most intense tropical cyclone of the 1958 Atlantic hurricane season. The eighth tropical storm and fourth hurricane of the year, Helene was formed from a tropical wave east of the Lesser Antilles . Moving steadily westward, the storm slowly intensified, attaining hurricane strength on September 26. As conditions became increasingly favorable for tropical cyclone development, Helene began to rapidly intensify. Nearing the United States East Coast, the hurricane quickly attained Category 4 intensity on September 26, before it subsequently reached its peak intensity with maximum sustained winds of 150 mph (240 km/h) and a minimum barometric pressure of 930 mbar (930 hPa; 27 inHg). The intense hurricane came within 10 mi (16 km) of Cape Fear, North Carolina before recurving out to sea. Accelerating Helene gradually weakened, and transitioned into an extratropical cyclone as it passed over Newfoundland on September 29. Helene's extratropical remnants traversed eastwards across the Atlantic Ocean before dissipating near Great Britain on October 4.

Surge in this area only ended up being about half of what was claimed, which while notable, was not quite as catastrophic as it was cracked up to be. Nonetheless, no one is getting out to the coast today without a jacked up 4x4 or a boat. Many houses on the beach that are not on stilts will be a total loss. I suffered no damage and didn't even lose power with this one. The Madden-Julian Oscillation is trying to bring another storm into the general vicinity in about 2 weeks, so now I wait for the next one.

Back
Top Bottom