What's a typical day for you (keto)?

mk1154

The Force is Strong With This One
All of these recipes seem great, but I don't have a lot of time and so have for years tended to eat very similar things every day. My staple is a big pot of broccoli, bok choy, turnips, green beans & peas stewed in broth with a lot of butter and ground beef mixed in. I will eat this for lunch and dinner quite frequently. Breakfast is always eggs and pork sausage.

Now I've been tracking my carbs trying to go full keto and found that even what I thought was low carb is still above my target for going into ketosis. Seems like you can only have 1 or 2 servings of a low carb veggie per day. I can substitute with meat easy, but then my protein is too high. Soo... I started eating some dairy, hard cheeses and cottage cheese mainly because these are great low carb sources of fat and protein -- but I'd like to go dairy free keto. Finding it very hard to find quick and easy things I can eat daily that meet all the needed macros.

So... what are your staples you can quickly prepare/store and eat again? I'm okay with making a dinner that takes some more time, but I need something easy for lunches and snacks. I also see a lot of mention of things like sweet potatoes, parsnips & quinoa in some of these recipes. They sound delicious but don't those carbs cause a problem for staying in ketosis? I would love to see what a typical day looks like for some of your dairy free keto eaters out there. Thanks!

mk1154 said:
All of these recipes seem great, but I don't have a lot of time and so have for years tended to eat very similar things every day. My staple is a big pot of broccoli, bok choy, turnips, green beans & peas stewed in broth with a lot of butter and ground beef mixed in. I will eat this for lunch and dinner quite frequently. Breakfast is always eggs and pork sausage.

Now I've been tracking my carbs trying to go full keto and found that even what I thought was low carb is still above my target for going into ketosis. Seems like you can only have 1 or 2 servings of a low carb veggie per day. I can substitute with meat easy, but then my protein is too high. Soo... I started eating some dairy, hard cheeses and cottage cheese mainly because these are great low carb sources of fat and protein -- but I'd like to go dairy free keto. Finding it very hard to find quick and easy things I can eat daily that meet all the needed macros.

So... what are your staples you can quickly prepare/store and eat again? I'm okay with making a dinner that takes some more time, but I need something easy for lunches and snacks. I also see a lot of mention of things like sweet potatoes, parsnips & quinoa in some of these recipes. They sound delicious but don't those carbs cause a problem for staying in ketosis? I would love to see what a typical day looks like for some of your dairy free keto eaters out there. Thanks!

It's pretty simple: :)

breakfast: porc, butter and sauerkraut
dinner: porc, butter and sauerkraut

No snacks. Sometimes additionally avocados and cucumbers.

I assume you realize danger of eating dairy products?

Edit: spelling

Hi mk1154, I'm similar to Altair and a typical day for me would look like:

Breakfast: Fatty bacon

Dinner: Sausages swimming in ghee

No snacks as I make sure fat intake is sufficient enough so I'm not thinking about the next meal. I may throw some lettuce / onion / avocado to the mix depending on how I feel.

Dairy free keto is hard. I eat a whole lot of beef tallow and coconut oil with vegetables, meat, fish. Today I had green beans and minced meat fried with ~100g beef tallow and 50g coconut oil and kale/spinach/lettuce to make it look like a salad.

On weekends when I have time for breakfast, usually it is lots of bacon, sausages, mushrooms/onion fried in loooads of fat.

But it's still very hard to get enough calories if you are physically active or trying to gain weight. I also put a fairly large amount of coconut oil whisked with almond milk into cups of tea, and also sometimes nuts and nut butters, processed fatty meats like frankfurters and salami, regular sausages, avocado [No all of that does not go in a cup of tea :lol: ].

With butter and cream I can easily exceed 2500 calories a day, but they leave me feeling inflamed with spots on my face so no thanks. Same with dark chocolate.

mk1154 said:

Protein macros are dependent on your level of physical activity and body composition mostly, but also differ greatly from individual to individual. A little excess protein will likely not throw most people out of ketosis, but it is good to keep track of how much you eat long term. Some people can eat excess of 2-3g per KG of lean muscle mass and still be in ketosis, whereas others need to strictly limit their protein intake to stay ketogenic. Similarly, some people can eat 60g of carbs and remain in ketosis, while others are required to limit intake to below 10g. You can buy a ketone blood meter to test regularly and work out which ratios are best for you as an individual.

Also, if you can't afford to do functional testing (IGG antibody intolerance), then going dairy free is pretty important as a safety measure, simply because you may have an underlying intolerance to dairy that can cause a lot of issues.

My typical day looks a bit like this:

Morning
-Tea/coffee with roughly 50g butter + a tablespoon of coconut/MCT oil
-Pork sausage and bacon + avacado + kale + big chunk of butter
Or Leftovers from the night before.

Lunch
-Another buttered tea

Evening
Beef stew with onions, green beans, and cabbage + lots of beef fat and butter
OR
Wild salmon fillet fried in coconut oil with broccoli and cabbage

Drinks with fat in usually make up my fat content. You can simply blend in some butter into your favourite hot drink and maybe some sweetener like stevia or xylitol.

Edit: Oops, just realised that "dairy free" keto includes butter aswell :lol:. You would need to replace all of the above recipes with either coconut oil, palm oil, or some type of animal fat.

What do you guys, who work in companies, eat while on a break?
Do you carry your lunch with you, like in a bento box or something? :)

Keyhole said:
Edit: Oops, just realised that "dairy free" keto includes butter aswell :lol:. You would need to replace all of the above recipes with either coconut oil, palm oil, or some type of animal fat.

Technically speaking, yes. But butter doesn't contain casein (perhaps only traces). Replacing butter with something makes sense only if you are have lactose intolerance. But in this case you can still use ghee, though it's a bit expensive.

PerfectCircle said:

Usually, I have only breakfast and dinner, so I don't have to take anything with me. But when I decide to skip breakfast and do intermittent fasting (18 hours) I take with me a small glass jar with butter and porc.

I eat fatty bacon (also ham/salami-type things), thick slab of butter, and couple of egg yolks (not every day anymore) for breakfast at 11AM or later. Don't eat lunch. Eat dinner at 5 to 6PM most days; it's some kind of pork or beef, once a week fish, couple of times a month chicken. Always add fat to the meal.

If I eat carbs, it will be after 12PM as a rare snack. If you can keep your carbs near zero in the morning, and don't eat after 6PM, it helps with intermittent fasting and staying in keto. FWIW.

PerfectCircle said:

Yeah, using lots of fat and lots of greens is helpful. Then you're eating salad, instead of being that weird carnivore guy :lol:

Altair said:

Something like this, or some variation is definitely something I could do. But are you getting all your essential vitamin and nutrients eating this way? Do you use a lot of fresh herbs like is suggested in Keto-Adapted?

I think you will find that you cannot find a single "expert", follow their directions to the letter, and have a good result. You can be intolerant or allergic to any number of random things. You are also in a different place in your health with respect to liver function, stomach acid, nutrient status/deficiencies, toxic load, physical burden, etc. So at one point you may find eating a certain amount of a certain type of carbs with your meat and fat helps. And then your health status will shift, some organ will come back online and the burden will shift to some other organ. And then you will discover your body reacts differently to those foods and you will need to find another balance. So we really can't tell you you what is best beyond basic advice like avoid dairy, lectins, phytates, or whatnot.

Generally an elimination diet is the most efficient way, aside from sensitivity tests (which are often incomplete or inaccurate), to zero in on what you need to be eating. As long as you have the macronutrients right (meat, fat, water, electrolytes, etc.) you will probably be doing well enough to experiment with other foods. Any food that interrupts ketosis will be obvious and the natural first contenders for elimination.

After years of just eating what is put in front of us we learn to tune out what our bodies experience because there is almost no exploration of what is healthy based on how it makes you feel. I have learned some signs so far but when I really examine how my body feels I really have a hard time figuring out what causes what. There is a group of feelings that through experimentation have been shown to indicate something is wrong, IE too much sugar, dairy, fiber, etc. There is another group of feelings that are acceptable, but not ideal and I don't know which is "correct". Usually after I figure out some important health issue, one of the feelings from the benign group will be moved to the negative group as I discover it's caused by the health problem.

mk1154 said:
Altair said:

Something like this, or some variation is definitely something I could do. But are you getting all your essential vitamin and nutrients eating this way? Do you use a lot of fresh herbs like is suggested in Keto-Adapted?

Basically that's it. I don't use any herbs. What for? The most of the nutrients are already in porc/butter. Additionally of course I do take magnesium, fish/krill/codliver oil, minerals and vitamin c. Now and then experimenting with other supplements and adding MCT Oil: _https://blog.bulletproof.com/what-is-mct-oil-vs-coconut-oil/

As far as I know magnesium, fish oil and vitamin c are the only nutrients which you can't get enough being on keto. Fish/krill/codliver oil is very important. I usually use fermented products: _http://www.greenpasture.org/public/Products/CodLiverOil/

I usually have two meals a day.

First one is at 7:30 - 8:00am
for breakfast usually a bone broth, bacon,butter and some leftovers ( if there is any ) from the previous day lunch/dinner

Second meal for me is at 5:30 - 6:00 pm

So it is something between lunch and dinner. It is a home cooked meal and it is usually a meat.Other family members dont like very fatty, so I add extra butter to my plate.
If the lunch is not in accordance to keto diet i usually will eat just the meat and then take some salad and some extra bacon and butter.

Two weeks ago i decided to make Fatbomb. I was hesitating for a long time and on that day i made it. I made it with a pork fat and butter. For sweetener I added xylitol.
When it was finished i put it in the freezer. Next morning it was like an ice cream. And the whole family love it.

I still have 3 square meals. XD Haven't been able to cut down to two, because either I get too bloated from just eating two big meals, or it's just not enough, and I start losing weight.

Breakfast
Pork sausage, egg in butter, and my chocolate-coconut milk-shake with 3 tbsp of MCT oil.

Lunch
Typically left overs - anything from roasted chicken, steak, gizzards, pork, with either buttered broccoli, buttered string beans, or a side salad with avocado or olive oil.

Dinner
Typically the same as lunch.

Snack
I usually don't snack, but I keep a jar of almonds in my pantry and have two or three every now and again.

Back
Top Bottom