Where manufactured perception meets reality

Azur

The Living Force
An RCMP officer stops at a ranch up in Iron Mountain, B.C. and talks with the old ranch owner.

He tells the rancher, 'I need to inspect your ranch for illegal grown drugs.'

The old rancher says, 'Okay, but don't go in that field over there.'

The RCMP officer verbally explodes saying, 'Mister, I have the authority
of the Federal Government with me.' Reaching into his rear pant pocket
and removing his badge. The officer proudly displays it to the farmer.

'See this badge? This badge means I am allowed to go wherever I wish..on
any land. No questions asked or answers given. Have I made myself clear?
Do you understand?'

The old rancher nods politely and goes about his chores.

Later, the old rancher hears loud screams and spies the RCMP officer running
for his life and close behind is the rancher's bull.

With every step the bull is gaining ground on the officer.

The officer is clearly terrified.

The old rancher immediately throws down his tools, runs to the fence and
yells at the top of his lungs.....

'Your badge! Show him your flipping badge!'

This reminds me of another incident of authoritarian intransigence:

This is the actual radio conversation of a US naval ship with Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October 1995. Radio conversation was released by the Chief of Naval operations 10.10.95.

CANADIANS: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.

AMERICANS: Recommend that you divert your course 15 degrees to the north to avoid collision.

CANADIANS: Negative. You will have to divert your course 15 degrees to the south to avoid collision.

AMERICANS: This is the captain of a US navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

CANADIANS: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course.

AMERICANS: This is the aircraft carrier US LINCOLN, the second largest ship in the United States Atlantic Fleet. We are accompanied with (sic) three Destroyers, three Cruisers, and numerous support vessels. I DEMAND that you change your course 15 degrees north. I say again; that’s one five degrees north, or counter-measures will be undertaken to ensure the safety of this ship.

CANADIANS: This is a lighthouse. Your call!

It's hard to say which of the two communicants was the worst as far as hard-headedness was concerned. I mean, the Canadian radio operator could have said that the US ship was on collision course with the lighthouse from the very first sentence, osit. I suspect that the Canadian was enjoying himself! :lol:

bedower said:

Apparently this was an hoax. A very funny and believable one nonetheless.

Belibaste said:
bedower said:

Apparently this was an hoax. A very funny and believable one nonetheless.

Well, the article says:

The Truth:
It is a commonly told joke, not a real incident, and the U.S. Navy has officially denied the version that claims it took place between the U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln and a lighthouse.

Now the question "Are we certain that the U.S. Navy told the truth" ??? The Navy always says the truth, don't it? :huh:

Can we conclude because the Canadians have said nothing, that it was indeed true? :cool2:

Hum... The Canadians did not want to embarrass the US, therefore they did not say anything. :evil:

What struck me after I'd posted this story was; 'What was the time frame for this story; day or night?'

If it was at night, even the lowliest rating should know what a flashing lighthouse would look like.

If it was during the day, wouldn't the lighthouse have been visible anyway? Unless there was a thick wall of fog.

Anyway, here's another one that's been posted at least once on the Net:

Radio onversation recorded between the Captain of a US naval vessel on meeting up with a British naval ship:

US CAPTAIN: How's the second biggest navy in the world doing?

BRITISH CAPTAIN: Very well indeed. How's the second best?

The Power of the BADGE

A DEA officer stops at a ranch in Texas, and talks with an old rancher. He tells the rancher, "I need to inspect your ranch for illegally grown drugs." The rancher says, "Okay, but do not go in that field over there," as he points out the location.

The DEA officer verbally explodes saying, "Mister, I have the authority of the Federal Government with me." Reaching into his rear pants pocket, he removes his badge and proudly displays it to the rancher. "See this badge? This badge means I am allowed to go wherever I wish, on any land. No questions asked or answers given. Have I made myself clear? Do you understand?"

The rancher nods politely, apologizes, and goes about his chores.

A short time later, the old rancher hears loud screams and sees the DEA officer running for his life chased by the rancher's big Santa Gertrudis bull...

With every step the bull is gaining ground on the officer, and it seems likely that he'll get gored before he reaches safety. The officer is clearly terrified. The rancher throws down his tools, runs to the fence and yells at the top of his lungs...

"Your badge! Show him your BADGE! "

Re: The Power of the BADGE

gaman said:
A DEA officer stops at a ranch in Texas, and talks with an old rancher. He tells the rancher, "I need to inspect your ranch for illegally grown drugs." The rancher says, "Okay, but do not go in that field over there," as he points out the location.

The DEA officer verbally explodes saying, "Mister, I have the authority of the Federal Government with me." Reaching into his rear pants pocket, he removes his badge and proudly displays it to the rancher. "See this badge? This badge means I am allowed to go wherever I wish, on any land. No questions asked or answers given. Have I made myself clear? Do you understand?"

The rancher nods politely, apologizes, and goes about his chores.

A short time later, the old rancher hears loud screams and sees the DEA officer running for his life chased by the rancher's big Santa Gertrudis bull...

With every step the bull is gaining ground on the officer, and it seems likely that he'll get gored before he reaches safety. The officer is clearly terrified. The rancher throws down his tools, runs to the fence and yells at the top of his lungs...

"Your badge! Show him your BADGE! "
I'm confused, isn't that the same joke Azur posted? :huh:

Hi SAO,

Gaman created a new topic and I merged it with initial Azur's post. :)

Well, crap :) I just got it forwarded to me in email and thought it was a joke anyway. I searched for "gertrudian" to see if anyone posted it but I guess the version I got was different. Sorry!

Perceval said:
For some reason the lighthouse joke reminded of this (apologies in advance to any German members) :-[

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSdxqIBfEAw

This was required watching by my last quarter English Instructor. The lesson context was something about not knowing what a person understands before putting them in charge of something.

Anyway, my wife and I just now had a good laugh over it. Thanks for sharing!
:D

Back
Top Bottom