Where the Crawdads Sing

Alejo

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Hi guys,

I am not usually a fan of Netflix productions because... woke.. but at the end of last year I decided to give this one a try, I watched and I enjoyed it, it was a really touching story with large implications but that kept to a small scenario, very intimate and moving. Later I learned that it was an adaptation from a book that was apparently very popular.

I also read that some critics didn't like it, because it didn't have enough racism references, which of course. Rotten tomatoes behaved as some movies have behaved in the past, hated by the critics but loved by the audience. There's some cliche, some wokeism, but it's not that obvious where it suspends the disbelief, I feel it kind of works with the story.

A woman can be tough, and even tomboyish, not that well mannered, but still feminine. (seriously, what is wrong with that?). I feel they pulled it off in this movie.

It's a love story, a mystery, a coming of age, an overcoming hardship and daring to step out of the comfort zone movie that was rather well executed.

The photography of it was simply splendid, truly beautiful. So I would recommend it if anyone is interested.

But I also feel like there's a point of discussion that I will be putting on a spoiler section below.

The movie is also a murder mystery, and through the whole movie they're trying to figure out who killed this guy, that the protagonist, Kya, had a relationship with. And they truly work out the story to defend Kya and her character, and they win the court case, she is released and moves on with the man she truly loves.

The very last scene it is revealed that it was Kya who committed the murder, and then a few more things add up, her story and how she grow up, the biggest loss of her life was caused by her mother leaving because she could not stay and live in fear of Kya's father being violent, and every one of her brothers left for the same reason.. so she simply refused to continue to live in fear and this is how the murder is justified...but it is an out of character crime, from what the movie shows... but that's where I feel like they may have tarnished her character a bit much.

So I am conflicted, because it is an understandable reaction to the situation she was in, so a part of me goes "nice!"

But another part of me goes, "wait you just murdered a guy and you're ok with it.. and happy and jolly" or at least not regret was shown.

So, maybe this is one of those things that makes a movie good, the after thought or the wish to discuss it. But I wanted to open it up and see if anyone else had seen it or had similar observations or different ones, maybe I've missed something.

But overall, a good movie, I would watch it again and I would recommend you to watch it if you're into love stories with beautiful visuals.

Hi guys,

I am not usually a fan of Netflix productions because... woke.. but at the end of last year I decided to give this one a try, I watched and I enjoyed it, it was a really touching story with large implications but that kept to a small scenario, very intimate and moving. Later I learned that it was an adaptation from a book that was apparently very popular.

I also read that some critics didn't like it, because it didn't have enough racism references, which of course. Rotten tomatoes behaved as some movies have behaved in the past, hated by the critics but loved by the audience. There's some cliche, some wokeism, but it's not that obvious where it suspends the disbelief, I feel it kind of works with the story.

A woman can be tough, and even tomboyish, not that well mannered, but still feminine. (seriously, what is wrong with that?). I feel they pulled it off in this movie.

It's a love story, a mystery, a coming of age, an overcoming hardship and daring to step out of the comfort zone movie that was rather well executed.

The photography of it was simply splendid, truly beautiful. So I would recommend it if anyone is interested.

But I also feel like there's a point of discussion that I will be putting on a spoiler section below.

The movie is also a murder mystery, and through the whole movie they're trying to figure out who killed this guy, that the protagonist, Kya, had a relationship with. And they truly work out the story to defend Kya and her character, and they win the court case, she is released and moves on with the man she truly loves.

The very last scene it is revealed that it was Kya who committed the murder, and then a few more things add up, her story and how she grow up, the biggest loss of her life was caused by her mother leaving because she could not stay and live in fear of Kya's father being violent, and every one of her brothers left for the same reason.. so she simply refused to continue to live in fear and this is how the murder is justified...but it is an out of character crime, from what the movie shows... but that's where I feel like they may have tarnished her character a bit much.

So I am conflicted, because it is an understandable reaction to the situation she was in, so a part of me goes "nice!"

But another part of me goes, "wait you just murdered a guy and you're ok with it.. and happy and jolly" or at least not regret was shown.

So, maybe this is one of those things that makes a movie good, the after thought or the wish to discuss it. But I wanted to open it up and see if anyone else had seen it or had similar observations or different ones, maybe I've missed something.

But overall, a good movie, I would watch it again and I would recommend you to watch it if you're into love stories with beautiful visuals.

Thanks for the recommendation, I watched it too and thought it was okay.

To react to your spoiler:

I also thought the murder conflicts with the story somewhat, and that Kya through playing an innocent victim betrayed all the people who sincerely believed in her. But given that she's someone who closely observes nature, she seems to have gotten the idea from the way species do everything they can to persist and endure, such as when she mentioned that some fireflies eat their husbands. So it's not totally out of character in a certain sense.

I can't help thinking that with Chase gone, their little world is a little bit better or safer given his actions and character and all, but at the same time I can't condone murder. Hard to judge, maybe the Universe or nature are more objective about these things and I assume that they don't hold all human life to be sacred in the same way as we usually do.

Hi guys,

Hi @Alejo - I enjoyed the film also. Its visual tone and mood are hauntingly beautiful. The swamp. The trees. Her shabby-chic little cottage. The sketches. I wasn’t super mesmerised by the story line (it was okay) but I was certainly in awe of the film’s aesthetics and would re-watch purely to glaze myself in that beauty again!

I've read the book and seen the film... in the film everything is told far too quickly, I think, and it's reduced to the love story. It's well made, no question. But the book is just beautifully written, I think. Just the way the language is used in the book. You learn much, much more than in the film.

I’m going to give it a go! I’ll let you know what I think. Not too many good movies coming out these days. Just more of the same.
I find that old Groundhog Day plot/theme just being rehashed over and over. Sometimes it’s done well, other times IMO not well at all.. just a money grab.
Great concept though.

I’m going to give it a go! I’ll let you know what I think. Not too many good movies coming out these days. Just more of the same.
Yep, I haven't been to the movies since Top Gun Maverick.

I've read the book and seen the film... in the film everything is told far too quickly, I think, and it's reduced to the love story. It's well made, no question. But the book is just beautifully written, I think. Just the way the language is used in the book. You learn much, much more than in the film.
Yes, that's what others who have read the book have said about it too, the book was way better.. but I suppose that it is the case with most adaptations, I heard much the same with LOTR and others.

Back
Top Bottom