Why can't I be Hypnotized?

Erna

The Living Force
I do have a question though Laura, about hypnotherapy specifically. What if people can't hypnotize you? I don't think I'm susceptible to hypnosis, but I also know very little about the topic as well. Is everyone capable of going under, some just easier than others? Or do you get people who are not susceptible at all?

I always wonder about this when I see the topic of hypnotherapy come up on the forum, because of my apparent inability to go under - kind of a door that's closed to me then...

E said:
I do have a question though Laura, about hypnotherapy specifically. What if people can't hypnotize you? I don't think I'm susceptible to hypnosis, but I also know very little about the topic as well. Is everyone capable of going under, some just easier than others? Or do you get people who are not susceptible at all?

I always wonder about this when I see the topic of hypnotherapy come up on the forum, because of my apparent inability to go under - kind of a door that's closed to me then...

Good question. I'm also not hypnotizable. I've really tried to cooperate when I have been in a situation where I feel that I can trust the process, and it just doesn't work. I CAN completely zone out when meditating, I DO have OOBEs, and a whole host of shamanic type experiences though not like those described by Hancock and the drug taking shamans except when they are talking about seeing the "machine elves" or "fields of light."

Now, that's not to say that I can't hypnotize myself or get lost in wishful thinking by projecting my inner landscape onto someone else I care about. The "observer/higher self" part of me has just always been present and aware.

So, don't think of it as a door that is closed to YOU... just one that is closed to others. And that's a good thing, IMO.

E said:

Laura said:
So, don't think of it as a door that is closed to YOU... just one that is closed to others. And that's a good thing, IMO.

I've never been able to be hypnotized either, E. I've often wondered if it's just because I tend to be hyper-vigilant - or perhaps being hyper-vigilant is part of being aware - not sure on that one.

Laura said:
I've really tried to cooperate when I have been in a situation where I feel that I can trust the process, and it just doesn't work.

No same with me, I also gave it my best, but…nope.

Laura said:

Oh I see what you’re saying. Thanks Laura.

Anart said:
I've never been able to be hypnotized either, E. I've often wondered if it's just because I tend to be hyper-vigilant - or perhaps being hyper-vigilant is part of being aware - not sure on that one.

Yeah I’ve also mulled this over in my head, and what you’re saying was one of my considerations as well.

I’m glad it’s not uncommon then.

E said:

Add me to the non-hypnotizable list. Many have tried but none have succeeded, as the saying goes. ;D

I used to think that it was because there was something "underneath" that my subconscious just did NOT want to get out so it just refused to let me go under.

Mrs. Peel said:
E said:

Add me to the non-hypnotizable list. Many have tried but none have succeeded, as the saying goes. ;D

I used to think that it was because there was something "underneath" that my subconscious just did NOT want to get out so it just refused to let me go under.

Add me to that list too. ;)

Mrs. Peel said:

And that was my other consideration.

Mrs. Peel said:
Add me to the non-hypnotizable list.

Gandalf said:
Add me to that list too. ;)

Now I just feel so much better about this. :)

I haven't been able to be hypnotized either. Some people aren't very externally suggestible I guess, maybe it's hyper-vigilance like anart wrote, or just a general distrust in the process of letting someone else into your head.

FWIW E, I am another one that is not hypnotizable. Although it's just been a few times I've been in a position to be hypnotized, one time in particular stands out. Back in my high school days, a hypnotist was a guest at one of our programs. During his show, he offered to hypnotize the entire audience. The guy was pretty good with the folks he'd had up on stage so far, so almost all the 300+ attendees took him up on his offer. Everyone was laughing and joking that there was no way *they'd* be hypnotized. We were told to stand up and that those of us suggestible enough would immediately go to sleep but safely fall back down into their seats, afterwards awakening by another suggestion he'd give us. He delivered his "magic words" and almost everyone responded by slumping back down in their seats - literally a handful (maybe 30) of us were left standing. I was flabbergasted. Unless a vast majority were faking (and it didn't look like it from where I was standing), he'd hypnotized 90% of the audience! Considering that many people could be that easily hypnotized, it sheds some light on why the majority of us are so asleep and so suggestible by the PTB. :D

1984 said:
We were told to stand up and that those of us suggestible enough would immediately go to sleep but safely fall back down into their seats, afterwards awakening by another suggestion he'd give us. He delivered his "magic words" and almost everyone responded by slumping back down in their seats - literally a handful (maybe 30) of us were left standing. I was flabbergasted. Unless a vast majority were faking (and it didn't look like it from where I was standing), he'd hypnotized 90% of the audience! Considering that many people could be that easily hypnotized, it sheds some light on why the majority of us are so asleep and so suggestible by the PTB. :D

Well, that explains a lot what with all of the brainwashing going on with tv, video games, movies, etc.

I have only gone to a hypnotist once for a past life regression and after him trying twice to get me to go under, I just started telling him dreams that I had always wondered about and pretended I was hypnotized. He could have just been a really bad hypnotist, I dunno, but I was not impressed.

So I don't know if it was because of me, or because of him.

Nienna Eluch said:
1984 said:
We were told to stand up and that those of us suggestible enough would immediately go to sleep but safely fall back down into their seats, afterwards awakening by another suggestion he'd give us. He delivered his "magic words" and almost everyone responded by slumping back down in their seats - literally a handful (maybe 30) of us were left standing. I was flabbergasted. Unless a vast majority were faking (and it didn't look like it from where I was standing), he'd hypnotized 90% of the audience! Considering that many people could be that easily hypnotized, it sheds some light on why the majority of us are so asleep and so suggestible by the PTB. :D

Well, that explains a lot what with all of the brainwashing going on with tv, video games, movies, etc.

I have only gone to a hypnotist once for a past life regression and after him trying twice to get me to go under, I just started telling him dreams that I had always wondered about and pretended I was hypnotized. He could have just been a really bad hypnotist, I dunno, but I was not impressed.

So I don't know if it was because of me, or because of him.

One of my neighbors, a therapist, also used hypnotherapy in her practice. She tried several times to do a session with me and it never worked. I've attended a seminar that used a red light and a beeping noise to hypnotize the audience for a meditation, but all it did was give me a headache. (It was a heck of a way to find out red lights and sounds give me migraines) :-[

It used to bother me that I couldn't be hypnotized, after reading around here for a while, that went away. :lol:

Sometimes I use a word "we" instead I, like:" and now, we will..." do something. And I asked myself why I do that, maybe if there is some attachment. I wonder the same when I saw that Azoth used word "We" instead I.

I did several spirit releasing works, but never with hypnotherapy, and I always wonder if it has any worth, did I release attachments.
According to yours experiance is it possible to be released attachments in non-hypnotherapy method ?

One therapist said that is something to be done permanently, like some sort of spirit hygiene because we catch attachments often in everydays life. What do you think about that?

Maybe there is some topic on forum which I still didnt found yet ?
Sorry if I made mistakes in English.

Nienna Eluch said:

I had do this also, not about past life regression but for "diggin out unknown stuff". I had several sessions, just about curiosity because I would know what's about this issue and how it works. During the sessions I was allways completely aware of the situation and after the first two sessions I decided to tell simply dreams and everything what comes spontaneously into my mind. I was very disappointed about his hypnotizing stuff and that this was so unspectacular, not to mention boring.

Afterwards I wondered about, how people could be forced with this to give there moneybag away, or sit, stand or do something just through a specific order. So, maybe I wasn't hypnotized at all. Bad hypnotist, or I cant be hypnotized, who knows.

1984 said:
Considering that many people could be that easily hypnotized, it sheds some light on why the majority of us are so asleep and so suggestible by the PTB. :D

Very interesting 1984! Reminds me of the 'Toronto Blessing' which swept through our charismatic churches in my teens. It was really a spiritual dilemma for me that I couldn't 'receive the holy spirit', when, as you say, the vast majority was 'out cold'. But it wasn't long for me after continual observation of how these church services were conducted to realise it was mere mass hypnosis! :P

istina said:
One therapist said that is something to be done permanently, like some sort of spirit hygiene because we catch attachments often in everydays life. What do you think about that?
The way I see it at this point, you shouldn't worry so much about attachments as long as you work hard to make your real I stronger and stronger each day. Could be that EE and Prayer of the Soul is powerful tool for spirit hygiene.

I don't claim to be an expert on the subject. I read few books - namely Entity Possesion by Samuel Sagan MD and Remarkable Healings by Shakuntala Modi MD. The accounts given in these books are truly impressive and they all involve some form of hypnosis.

I cannot be sure if I have attachments or not. Several times I did catch a glimpse of something that could be attachment and I described this here
http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=15063.0

After reading the above mentioned books, I wouldn't mind trying spirit releasement therapy with someone qualified and experienced in this field, unfortunately such people are not easy to come by in my part of the world.

As for the ability to be hypnotized here is my experience:
Few years ago I went to this hypnotherapist ___http://www.marshall-warren.com/ with the fixed idea to explore past lives. She doesn't do this kind of work and since I knew her personally she reluctantly agreed to try it.
Cannot say that I was really impressed with the results.

First of all - how can you tell if you were hypnotized?
All I know is that I was very very relaxed, but my mind and sense of myself was fully there. Some images and plots came up, but even as this was going on I was wondering if I am inventing all this or these are true memories.
The strongest plot that came up was of the person which was prosecuted, and maimed (at one point I couldnt feel my hands and I decided they were burned and cut off?) for religious (Cathar or Bogumil?) beliefs, but neither then nor today I can be sure if this was real memory or just the invention of my mind built around the fact that my arms fell asleep due to the position I was laying in.
Later I noticed that whenever I lay on my back with my arms folded on the stomach they soon go numb. At this point I move them, but during hypnotherapy session I didn't for long period of time and this could have easily caused total lack of sensation in my hands. Also I was always fascinated with Manichean heresy and have read a lot about Cathars, Bogumils and others. So what came first chicken or the egg?

In short this session didn't clarify anything, and it was too expensive to probe for more.

Although this all sounds very interesting something tells me its wild goose chase and distraction from true Work on yourself.

Back
Top Bottom